• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This Team Has Been Hamstrung for Several Years

Hoenheim

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Bingo. We haven't been the best at putting players into the best position to succeed and maximize their skill sets.

Oline was improving at the end of the year so what did they do? Change the scheme away from their personnel's strengths and stopped running the ball. And that is with one of those being a top 10 pick 2 years ago. Freaking dismal approach. 

• Pie 2

This entire mess can honestly be traced back to Gettleman. We got to the Super Bowl in 2015 off of legacy/Hurney/Rivera players, and all Gettleman did before and after it was get rid of all our wide receivers in 2014 and then all of our cornerbacks in 2016. The second Hurney era had enough hits to keep us competitive for a handful of years but inept coaching and an utter inability to find any success on the offensive line or quarterback position ruined whatever time there was left.

Now we're several years in to Fetterer and we still have no offensive line, no wide receivers, bad cornerbacks, and a big question mark at QB. These have been glaring issues for years

4 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

We've been generally terrible at drafting for several years and its an huge contributing factor to our losing mostly since 2017. Let's go over last 10 years:

Interesting take. While I do generally agree that better drafting would generate more depth and a better overall team I wanted to compare to the other teams in the league to see if the data supports that claim.

Carolina vs the NFL

To be as objective as possible I used the "DrAV" metric from PFR to determine if a player was a "contributor". To qualify as a contributor, a player's DrAV had to meet or exceed the median DrAV from their draft class. Re-stated, if a player was in the upper half of their class, they were counted as a "contributor" for the team that drafted them. I'll admit there is probably a better way to do this, I just wanted something quick.

Since it took a bit to scrape this all together, I only went back as far as 2016. I also calculated the hit rate for each team or # contributors / # picks. Here are those results.

image.png.54bca518732f8e45726862d80f3a060c.png

My takeaway is that, over the time span I looked at, the Panthers are slightly below average in terms of finding contributors in the draft. Their 43% rate is just below the league average of 45%. Surprisingly, Philidelphia actually has a lower contribution rate from their draft picks (40% overall); if anything, that should give us all hope that drafting isn't everything to a team's success.

I also found it interesting that our NFC south foes have all done a better job of finding contributors in the draft: ATL at a whopping 63% clip, NO at 56%, and TB at 53%.

Carolina GMs

For those interested I also zoomed in on the Panthers and broke things down by GM; It's crazy that we have had 3 in such a short time period. The percentages shown are the hit rate.

image.png.644f90af69e3d7d3eabf97382629b6f7.png

My takeaway here is that the jury is still out on Fitterer. Despite the lack of star power, his 2021 draft did end up producing a decent amount of value for the team. His 2022 draft on the other hand was rough. How much of that is him vs Rhule vs the new coaching staff wanting different players is hard to tell. Note that I am not interested in looking at the 2023 draft until after the season.

Edited by Evil Hurney
  • Pie 2

That’s what too much change will do, hc x gm combo is pivotal, we’ve been through various gm’s and coaches since tepper bought the team, combine that with terrible hires sticking along too long and this is the product you get 

and what little talent we had we traded away for less talented players (jury still out on young of course)

37 minutes ago, TN05 said:

This entire mess can honestly be traced back to Gettleman. We got to the Super Bowl in 2015 off of legacy/Hurney/Rivera players, and all Gettleman did before and after it was get rid of all our wide receivers in 2014 and then all of our cornerbacks in 2016. The second Hurney era had enough hits to keep us competitive for a handful of years but inept coaching and an utter inability to find any success on the offensive line or quarterback position ruined whatever time there was left.

Now we're several years in to Fetterer and we still have no offensive line, no wide receivers, bad cornerbacks, and a big question mark at QB. These have been glaring issues for years

It’s 2023, you win in the NFL with elite safeties and punters.  None of those other positions you mentioned matter anymore.

5 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

Yea some of those are debatable. Chin had a good year but recently hasn't done much I kinda struggled to justify adding him. I guess by my lower standards he's been a consistent contributor but idk how good he's been outside year 1.

Chin is one of the biggest mysteries on the team to me. He balled out his rookie year and was in the DROY discussion and what do we do? Move him to safety where you hardly ever even know he’s on the field. I’ll never understand it. 

• Pie 1