• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DJ Johnson?

ATLpanther

43 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Mingo was 39 and DJ was in the 3rd right?

Yeah.

Ideally, I was thinking this draft could’ve been good to trade down slightly in the 2nd with a packaged late rounder—could gain a pick in the 75-80 range without losing 93. Easier said than done but it seemed we were either trading up or standing out at 39 seeing our draft room videos. I just thought there was too much talent at RB, TE, DB and EDGE to lose more picks in that top-120 range.

Mingo was an internet favorite but I thought his high was maybe 50-60ish. Had him going to KC in late R2.

I will say, Fitt’s picks leave the same taste Gettleman’s did. On one end—Online and “expert” rankings aren’t that far off at the end of the day. There’s legit intel and you do get a good sense of consensus boards, and then so many of our early mid-rounders (like DJ) are like “who’s that guy?”

Then we say, “we’ll I’m sure the team knows what they’re doing, we’re just fans and prognosticators” and then a lot of the guys we liked do well and we’re scratching our heads.

Edited by Bear Hands
  • Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

He's likely insurance for 2024 in case we no longer have Houston and/or YGM on the roster.

I agree that's not what we should be looking for in the 3rd round, but I see the potential need.

Fitt doesnt need to be trading up for a 25 year old project that may help us a year from now.  Especially with all of the holes on the roster. 

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

Yeah.

Ideally, I was thinking this draft could’ve been good to trade down slightly in the 2nd with a packaged late rounder—could gain a pick in the 75-80 range without losing 93. Easier said than done but it seemed we were either trading up or standing out at 39 seeing our draft room videos. I just thought there was too much talent at RB, TE, DB and EDGE to lose more picks in that top-120 range.

Mingo was an internet favorite but I thought his high was maybe 50-60ish. Had him going to KC in late R2.

I will say, Fitt’s picks leave the same taste Gettleman’s did. On one end—Online and “expert” rankings aren’t that far off at the end of the day. There’s legit intel and you do get a good sense of consensus boards, and then so many of our early mid-rounders (like DJ) are like “who’s that guy?”

Then we say, “we’ll I’m sure the team knows what they’re doing, we’re just fans and prognosticators” and then a lot of the guys we liked do well and we’re scratching our heads.

difference is with gettleman, we were winning games and it was entertaining.

6 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Yeah.

I don’t think Mingo should have gone that high anyway. Never even had a 1k yard season in Kiffins offense. 

DJ Johnson is the type of pick the Dolphins or Rams or Eagles can make. High athletic ceiling but the floor is the basement. Then again, they are where they are by not making dumb picks. If you're going to take a guy basically solely on athletic upside, make sure he's no in his mid-20s already. DJ Johnson is basically the same age as Brian Burns who is entering his 5th NFL season. There's only an 18 month difference. Marinate on that. That's not the type of "upside" pick you want to gamble on.