• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Defenders vs Bryce Defenders, maybe a pattern?

RumHam

I like Cam. He is still the only NFL jersey I've bought.

Also, I'm still optimistic about Bryce Young.

The NFL isn't the NBA. A QB can take you over the top. However, they are limited to playing one side of the field. You have to rely on 52 other men to do their job. 

My biggest frustration as a Panthers fan is inability to construct a roster with a solid foundation. No back to back winning seasons, EVER. 

Most of that vitriol then gets directed to the QB because they must turn chicken shiet into salad 

I'm not so much "defending" Bryce as laying out reasons why this season has not started off gangbusters for him or the team.  

1. poo-ass offensive scheme

2. poo-ass offensive playcalling

3. poo-ass offensive weapons

4. poo-ass offensive line play

5. And yes, last but not least, poo-ass QB play all things considered

However, I don't think its over for our number 1 pick QB after 3 freaking starts in the NFL.  

• Pie 2

Will always be a huge Cam fan but I accepted the reality with his injuries that he was no longer a legit starting QB in this league as of about 2019-present. Bryce wasn't my choice going into the draft but I got behind him. I still really hope he succeeds since we need him to but I'm not going to blindly defend his poor play to start his career. Not really sure what this topic is about

i have a blue, white, and black cam jersey. i was and continue to be an abject defender of cam. but there is no parallel between the posters who defended cam and the ones defending bryce. cam defenders came out in full force, and used context and current and histrocial data to paint a picture of just how polarizing cam had to be in order to be successful despite his lackluster supporting cast, an offensive scheme that routinely negated his best attributes, and a coaching staff that willfully mismanaged his injuries. many of those posters are not doing the same for bryce. sad to see. 

btw, cam routinely threw for less than 200 yards and had multiple interception games long before his injuries. in 2013, cam threw for 205 or less seven times as well and averaged less than seven ypc eight times. he threw for less than 205 yards or less in seven games in the 2014 season alone and had 23 combined tds. .

Edited by USDepartmentOfSavagery

I was one of the earliest Cam supporters on this board (different screen name) and was on the Bryce train from early on.

I still remember all the people here who thought we had screwed up big time by drafting Cam #1 overall.

I also remember many of those same people turning on him in 2012 when he struggled to start the year. I see a lot of similarities between those people then and the anti-Bryce crowd now.

People remember how good Cam's rookie year was, but tend to forget the struggles in year 2 and how many people were ready to jump ship them.

Edited by Jay Roosevelt

Big Cam fan ...  And tbh, insert him on this roster atleast we'd be watchable imo. 

Never was big on Bryce but he's the QB now. Rookie qbs typically struggle which is forgivable BUT at this point the current struggles far outweigh the current benefits. 

CJ was my pick ... I just felt he could do everything Bryce could do + add a running threat w/o the injury threat. The Ohio game and even the elite 11 competition made that evident for me. We should have let him sit and locked him in the weight room his entire rookie season.

Not giving up on Byrce but it's not looking good out here. We haven't had a winning season in years but atleast we "did" have hope... 

Side note: I think Bryce was Moreso Tepper and Fitts. I think Frank and McCown wanted CJ. Short of Thielen, the entire offense has been disappointing. 

39 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

I was one of the earliest Cam supporters on this board (different screen name) and was on the Bryce train from early on.

I still remember all the people here who thought we had screwed up big time by drafting Cam #1 overall.

I also remember many of those same people turning on him in 2012 when he struggled to start the year. I see a lot of similarities between those people then and the anti-Bryce crowd now.

People remember how good Cam's rookie year was, but tend to forget the struggles in year 2 and how many people were ready to jump ship them.

Lots of amateur psychology going on then too.  I'll never forget the guy who diagnosed Cam as a narcissist based on the definition from dictionary.com.

• Pie 2

This is institutional failure. This isn't about defending a QB. I don't think you could bring back prime era Joe Montana and have him perform in this mess. Maybe it makes people feel better thinking you could have a different QB and everything will be OK. The problem is much worse than that. The team is being managed by people that have no idea what they are doing. They have dug a very deep hole that a QB can't fix on his own. Tepper, Fitterer and Reich couldn't manage a hot dog stand.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, joemac said:

I'm not so much "defending" Bryce as laying out reasons why this season has not started off gangbusters for him or the team.  

1. poo-ass offensive scheme

2. poo-ass offensive playcalling

3. poo-ass offensive weapons

4. poo-ass offensive line play

5. And yes, last but not least, poo-ass QB play all things considered

However, I don't think its over for our number 1 pick QB after 3 freaking starts in the NFL.  

The Huddle has spoken. Bryce retires by Week 8.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Kinda wanna get a demographic on this. I wonder if those who defended cam long term also defend bryce now or those that defend bryce didn't defend cam? Maybe those that never supported Cam are not full on defending Bryce? Maybe you hate both cuz you got issues? Me, I defended Cam until the very end, but he's not worse than 32 QBs in this league and he's right. Both his former teams would at least win some games with him. But i just want to see if there is a pattern. I loved the Bryce pick, now i'm at the point where i honestly don't want to waste my time anymore at all and certainly not my money because we've thrown poo at the wall and no one knows what they're doing.

I supported Cam and I wanted Stroud or Richardson. Young would've been a 3rd round pick if he'd played anywhere else but Alabama. 

I couldn't tell Cam's personality when he was drafted. The talent was obvioysly there but I didn't know which way he would break with who he was but I also thought his competition was just awful in that draft. He turned out to be a great guy and it was obvious early.

I never had confidence in Bryce. I don't watch college ball and IDGAF about it past the draft prospects. It's a sloppy and boring game to me but I also get why people find it entertaining. He just looked like a guy who would bust in the NFL. His physical tallent damn sure should have been in question along with the combine opt-outs. He could make reads but there was nothing else there for me. His escabability looked pedestrian, fine for that level but not the NFL.