• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

“Carolina sniffing around on Jerry Jeudy”

ncfan

16 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I didn't want to trade Burns either, but it's clear that we're not going to sign him to a contract that the team thinks is fair, or else we'd have gotten a deal done before the season started.  Once the season started without a deal, he became a must trade for me because him playing out the year for us to tag him and him refuse to play on the tag is worst case scenario for next offseason.  

At this point we just have to trade him unfortunately.

I also don't think Higgins will cost that much, probably more in the 18-22 a year I think.  He knows he hasn't put up the numbers yet to get that 25 a year, but again, he's only 24, if he balls out the next couple years as someone's #1, he's going to get a huge extension at that point, and I'm fine with us being that team.

I understand the Burns argument and if it becomes absolutely clear that we won't be able to get a deal done then yes, we should look to trade him. On one hand I like how our front office isn't just willing to hand out a franchise changing amount of money without at least trying to negotiate the best deal for the team but on the other hand Burns has been a model player and leader the second he's got here for this team, and he absolutely deserves a big payday. It's not his fault he's been played out of position and not to his skill set but he's done nothing but get better every single year and I have no doubt he'd continue to do so once he gets paid. 

If I'm the agent for Tee Higgins I'm looking at Terry McLaurin getting $23m a year, Deebo Samuel and D.K. Metcalf getting $24m a year and with how desperate everyone is for receiver talent I'm setting my minimum at 23.5 a year and letting teams bid up from that. With the cap going up every year I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a contract in the 25-27 million a year range. 

2 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

I understand the Burns argument and if it becomes absolutely clear that we won't be able to get a deal done then yes, we should look to trade him. On one hand I like how our front office isn't just willing to hand out a franchise changing amount of money without at least trying to negotiate the best deal for the team but on the other hand Burns has been a model player and leader the second he's got here for this team, and he absolutely deserves a big payday. It's not his fault he's been played out of position and not to his skill set but he's done nothing but get better every single year and I have no doubt he'd continue to do so once he gets paid. 

If I'm the agent for Tee Higgins I'm looking at Terry McLaurin getting $23m a year, Deebo Samuel and D.K. Metcalf getting $24m a year and with how desperate everyone is for receiver talent I'm setting my minimum at 23.5 a year and letting teams bid up from that. With the cap going up every year I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a contract in the 25-27 million a year range. 

I would. He hasn't been the main guy like McLaurin, Samuel or Metcalf (or D.J. Moore). $25 would be the absolute ceiling for me, and his tape would have to compel me.

10 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

Higgins hasn't put up the numbers that DK or Deebo have put up in their careers.

And while he has pretty similar numbers to McLaurin, he's done that with Burrow and not the coverage the #1 WR gets, while McLaurin has done it as the only good offensive weapon on a team with no QB in his career, he earned that contract and if he had a Burrow as his QB, his numbers would have been huge.  

And I think it's pretty clear that we're not going to get a deal done with Burns, not getting ti done by the time the season started and then him shutting down discussions pretty much closed that book, it's trade time and I think we'll get a bigger return for him during the season by a team that thinks it can contend than we will in the offseason.

Edited by tukafan21

With the way they were talking before the season, I still think they think it's all salvageable. They can't trade Burns and still be in serious comeback mode. The talk about Tepper being pissed and the team still being all in on Young backs that. Trading Burns at this point makes the most sense due to it being past the point of no return without the franchise tag which I'm sure Burns will love. Until I hear Burns is on the table or they are switching to rebuild mode they are still in the same Hurney special 'one move away and make magic' mode. 

6 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Panthers needs to freaking STOP! Nothing is going to make this 0-4, soon to be 0-6 team, better. 

If only we would’ve taken our lumps early on in the Bridgewater days…but the ‘anti tankers’ got their wish. This is what that looks like. And by tanking I don’t mean try and lose. I mean realize your team as is sucks so bad it’s deserving, and desperately needs a top 3 pick instead of patching it at all costs to win enough to pick 5 or so spots later and creating an artificial delusion the team is better than it seems when in reality it isn’t going to help one bit.

Of course with Fit and Tepper at the helm none of it matters anyways. 

1 hour ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Normally I’d say “a 3rd? GFY”, but then again:

2023: DJ Johnson

2022: Matt Corral

2021: Christensen, Tremble

2019: Will Grier (no pick in 2020)

2018: Rashaan Gaulden

2017: Daeshon Hall

2016: Daryl Worley

…so yeah, go ahead because we can’t draft for poo anyway 

It's not the draft pick, it's the $13 million next season for an average WR.

We already have average WRs, he's not a significant enough improvement to what we have to take on that contract for a player with a diva mentality.  He's not going to react well when Thielen is still getting 10 targets a game in the slot, you don't want to put that on Bryce's plate with his early struggles.

4 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

"only"?!?!?!?!

$13 million would have him as a Top 20 WR cap hit in the league, the guy hasn't had a 1,000 yard season in his career and an "offensive genius" in Payton wants to trade him away instead of keeping him with that number on the books next year.

His contract is the biggest reason to not have any interest in him, and I don't want him just for the player that he is, before you even factor in his biggest downside in that guaranteed contract next year 

Jeudy’s cap number currently ranks 27th for WRs in 2024, and it will certainly drop lower after the next free agency cycle. 

Edited by ECHornet