• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What do you expect out of OC Brown?

Jmac

i laugh my ass off not figuratively but literally because it reminds me so much  of a monkey trying to shove a round block into a square hole over & over & time & time again whenever i hear someone say well you know all we need to do is become more balanced & less predictable by of course simply running the ball more often .but then all at the very same time they fail to mention that we have really no one to speak of to hand the ball & our starting Qb is so small that we have to bring in Andy Dalton to run the ball for him on short yardage plays ...just saying 

• Beer 1

Not much really. It would be fun to see him come in and bring balance to the playcalling but that would require putting Bryce in uncomfortable spots which seems to be part of the reason the offense stalled to date. With his background I would expect to see more and effective running but that is going to be tough in just shotgun without some down the field connections being made to stop the loading of the box. It just seems to be asking a lot of a guy who has done so little outside of RB coaching.

• Pie 1

I think it will be evolution rather than revolution.  Similar game plan I think but situational play calling may be somewhat different and hopefully a bit more emphasis on the running backs not named Miles Sanders.  Keep giving the rock to Chuba and don't abandon run so quickly.  This may help BY out a bit and help him flourish. 

33 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Not much really. It would be fun to see him come in and bring balance to the playcalling but that would require putting Bryce in uncomfortable spots which seems to be part of the reason the offense stalled to date. With his background I would expect to see more and effective running but that is going to be tough in just shotgun without some down the field connections being made to stop the loading of the box. It just seems to be asking a lot of a guy who has done so little outside of RB coaching.

using the shotgun formation has your offensive lineman moving around alot more & blocking in space requiring more speed along the o-line instead of under center where it's more about brute force.so with that said i believe & am almost certain that has caused or been a major contributor to the problems we have seen this year compared to last year with the offensive line...

Edited by bandu
  • Flames 1

It will be interesting, does he do a better job of baiting the D into something by setting it up throughout the game? That seems like something he should/would have picked up in LA. As others have said, tempo hopefully will help and helping to center the offense with a productive run game. I think the fact that they were already tweaking the offense some will mean it will actually be 3 weeks that we are working to get Bryce in a better spot. 

Edited by PanthersGTI

35 minutes ago, bandu said:

using the shotgun formation has your offensive lineman moving around alot more & blocking in space requiring more speed along the o-line instead of under center where it's more about brute force.so with that said i believe & am almost certain that has caused or been a major contributor to the problems we have seen this year compared to last year with the offensive line...

It's a bad match of QB to Oline strengths. Still, Young needs to be pushed and stop the coddling. Either he can or can't. Throw down the field and do some non-shotgun stuff more often or it's going to keep failing either way. It would take years to rebuild everything to just a shotgun offense, guys like Moton and Ickey are wasted in that kind of offense. 

• Pie 1

19 hours ago, Panthercougar68 said:

He will get the play in faster and you’ll probably see less snaps with 2 seconds left...More tempo and he’ll let Bryce cook.

5 hours ago, electro's horse said:

Honestly not much more. 

he helped design this offense (per sheena quick) and the panthers don’t have the personnel to do much more. He might be willing to open up the playbook a little more, but based on what I’ve seen they don’t have the players to execute even the boilerplate poo that reich was calling. 

if the lineman can’t hold blocks or the receiver can’t run (very simple) routes it doesn’t matter who’s calling the plays. 

I fear a lot of people are about to be very disappointed. 

These are similar to my take...

It's reasonable to expect maybe some changes (like faster calls) and perhaps continued steady improvement over time as Young keeps learning and adjusting to the pro game.

But I think folks expecting any sort of instant turnaround or thinking the offense is going to suddenly look like The Greatest Show on Turf Part 2 just because somebody else is calling the plays are likely getting their hopes up for no reason.