• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic: “‘Hunger Games’ culture” at BOFA

SuperBowlBound

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Maybe Evero and his defensive people, but no one on the offensive size or the operational side at all.  

You can't keep anyone. If they keep any of the coaches, the next HC will wonder if/when the holdover(s) will stab him in the back and the team will most likely end up in this same situation again. As Waldo stated, Tepper needs to clean house.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Maybe Evero and his defensive people, but no one on the offensive size or the operational side at all.  

I get the thought but everyone needs to go. Air the building out with new people who can't remember what went on.

It's appears to be that bad. Nuke it all and hope that steralizes it enough for the next crew...once Tepper stops being the biggest peoblem.

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 4

In all honesty, it sounds like Reich was an absolute disaster of a coach. I don't blame Fitterer (as much as I think he needs to go) or anyone else on the staff for pointing out these issues to Tepper. If Reich and McCown didn't think pushing Bryce to improve his footwork was a priority then they both absolutely deserved to be fired because that's one of the most basic functions of a coach. I mean, what kind of coach doesn't even bother working on his rookie QBs footwork?

You can blame Tepper for the failed approach of hiring too many different coaches with different philosophies causing this, but this article makes it even more clear to me that Frank Reich was providing very little - if any - leadership as the head coach and was much more of a problem than we even realized.

I think you can view the entire offense this way on the field as well; it's a mirror of the dysfunction that has been going on behind the scenes. Too many cooks in the kitchen and a dysfunctional mix-match of different players who fit different schemes who might be productive in the right scheme/situation, but all together in this offense can't even figure out how to put one foot in front of the other.

• Pie 9

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

You can't keep anyone. If they keep any of the coaches, the next HC will wonder if/when the holdover(s) will stab him in the back and the team will most likely end up in this same situation again. As Waldo stated, Tepper needs to clean house.

That's it. It's the price of letting it get that toxic in house.

• Pie 1

Think I might be done, I'll still watch games but my obsession I've had with this team for the past 20+ years has been beat out of me by Tepper. This article confirms my worst fears. 

We will NEVER improve unless tepper steps away or sells the team (can't see either happening bc he's a narcissistic lunatic). 

Congrats Tepper you've officially lost one of your biggest supporters. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Regarding Ben Johnson...

The Panthers need someone who can get Young untracked and playing closer to the level of Texans rookie C.J. Stroud, Young’s friend and former AAU basketball rival in southern California. Tepper again is expected to focus his search on coaches with offensive backgrounds, with Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson — who canceled his interview with the Panthers last year — viewed as a top target.

Johnson is a native of Asheville, N.C., who played at North Carolina. But it might not be easy to lure him to Charlotte: Some in the Panthers’ organization, according to a league source, have been texting Johnson about how complicated it’s been to work in Carolina this season.

While Tepper prepares to start another coaching search and Reich, Staley and McCown contemplate their next moves, the players and remaining coaches will try to avoid becoming the first 1-16 team since the NFL adopted a 17-game schedule.

“I can honestly say I don’t think (Reich) was the sole problem and everything is fixed now,” Chark said. “We’ve still got a lot of stuff we have to fix.”

Sounds like it might be more than just Duce Staley

Another most likely in contact with Johnson is Shawn Jefferson, WR coach.  Jefferson was the WR coach in Miami 2016-2018 and the assistant WR Coach during that time was Ben Johnson.  Johnson took over WR coach after Jefferson left Miami

• Pie 2

Tepper may not be (but he also might be) as bad as a human being as dan snyder. But he is every single bit a bad owner as him. 

The league is probably furious with all these reports, they want parity they don't like it when on franchise is an absolute dumpster fire that is the punching bag. 

1 hour ago, Prowler2k18 said:

Reich, Fitterer and the offensive coaches decided the priority before Young’s first season was preparing him to call plays in the huddle for the first time and giving him time to absorb a playbook that blended Reich’s system with wide zone concepts Brown bought from the Los Angeles Rams. Any tweaks or changes the Panthers wanted to make to Young’s mechanics would wait until the offseason.

Anyone else find that last sentence at least mildly disturbing? Why would they wait until the next offseason to fix what has obviously been a major flaw in his game? I always felt we should have “redshirted” Young the way the Chiefs did Mahomes his first year, and this just proves Reich and offense staff have mismanaged his  development.

Especially when his mechanics were clearly regressing over the course of this season.

26 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

The new coach will probably want his own people anyway, but it looks like Evero and his staff managed to stay out of all this poo. Good job by him. 

• Pie 2