• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers have blocked Jaguars’ request to interview DC Ejiro Evero for Jacksonville’s coordinator job; plan to interview him for HC job.

7 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I’ve been saying this all season. Other teams could put up 30+ on us if they needed to.

yeah, we were already virtually dead last in points allowed.   Opponents didn't need to really push the envelope offensively on us.  

NFL defenses shouldn't be "ranked" on just yardage.  We couldn't sack the QB, we couldn't take the ball away and we aren't a good run defense. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

Here we go again with that "fourth ranked defense" horse crap.  It's maddening.  Yards surrendered mean absolutely nothing.

We were 29th in points against - the only stat that matters for a defense!

Other stats can tell you a story, but points against tell you whether you're a contender or not.  Of the top 10 scoring defenses, eight are in the playoffs.

Evero was never going to have a great year here.  We switched systems.  Then injuries happened.  I'm not laying the blame for it solely at his feet.  I'm simply trying to have an honest look at it.

Our defense was not great.  His defense in Denver was not great (14th in points against).  Certainly those don't sound like the credentials of a dude that becomes your head coach.  Stats aren't great and they don't show any consistency over time.

• Pie 4

Hiring Evero as HC only makes sense if he is a one year guy while Bryce flames out again next season. 

He is under contract as DC, see if the new HC wants him before letting him go, assuming we can get a decent HC that is willing to work one more year with Bryce. 

21 minutes ago, BrisbanePanther said:

Would you have taken Demeco?

I like him a lot but I like his OC more than I ever liked him for a HC. I'm just not high on DCs to HCs in the current NFL. There are so many DCs out there to be had and Evero is a prime example of that. 

• Pie 1

If he stays on next year we will get a 3rd round pick from the NFL.  He will be under our control unless the new HC/GM specifically say they do not want to work with him.  If we had kept Thomas Brown for another year we would have been given 2 3rd round picks.

If another team wants him they will have to give up at least a 3rd round pick.  If I were in charge that is how I'd handle the situation at THIS CURRENT TIME.  Could change over the coming weeks.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, BeenPounding said:

If he stays on next year we will get a 3rd round pick from the NFL.  He will be under our control unless the new HC/GM specifically say they do not want to work with him.  If we had kept Thomas Brown for another year we would have been given 2 3rd round picks.

If another team wants him they will have to give up at least a 3rd round pick.  If I were in charge that is how I'd handle the situation at THIS CURRENT TIME.  Could change over the coming weeks.

Yep 100% agree. I like Evero a lot (and hope he is our DC next year) but I am glad we're not giving up a potential third round pick just because we want to make everyone happy. Fug that, you're under contract, we want you back, and we get a potential 3rd in a year. Why in the world would we just let him walk to JAX? 

1 hour ago, fanpanther said:

Having an offense this terrible lets the defense look alot better than it really is.  Teams can sit on a small lead and play it conservatively b/c they know no chance the panthers score. I look at it as more everytime the panthers terrible offense actually put up decent points the defense still allowed the opposing offense to put up more .

huh?