• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kiper and Yates 3 Round Mock

I agree with others that this seems like the panthers are getting hosed on the trade. Keep in mind i am team trade down at either 33 or 39 but you have to get something valuable in return as most teams have: 

~ 15-20 first round players

~ 25 players with a round two grade

So if you fall all the way to 55 you are likely getting a guy with a third round grade 

• Pie 1

For some perspective, notable recent #33 picks include:

Will Levis, Tyson Campbell, Tee Higgins, Austin Corbett.

The Cardinals received picks 41, 72, and a 2024 3rd from the Titans last year for pick 33 and 81. Both these picks the Cardinals gave up were picks they had received in trades in the first round. I don’t think this pick was as valuable or important to the Cardinals as it is to us since it is our first pick of this draft and may be our only shot to get a first round talent.

• Pie 3

I should have included this in my first post but can’t edit anymore.

I also think the potential value of the pick to other teams will largely depend on what New England does. New England is the only team until pick 44 that will be looking at QB, and that is only if they don’t draft one at pick 3. If NE doesn’t draft a QB at pick 3, I could also see them potentially trading back into the end of the first round to get a QB with the 5th year option and also prevent a team from jumping ahead of them via trade with us to get their guy. Every other team from pick 33 to 44 either has their QB, has a QB they drafted high last year that they’re still committed to, or will be drafting a QB high in the first round. That being said, it would take an awful lot for me to trade all the way down to pick 44 or lower if I’m the Panthers, and I don’t see why a team would be trying to come all the way up to 33 for a QB if the Patriots get a QB in round 1. 39 may end up being the more likely pick to be traded to teams trying to get ahead of the Raiders at 44.

• Beer 1

If Penix is still on the board at 33 I honestly think the Panthers should draft him. He either motivates Bryce to step it up and Penix can be traded to recoup the value, or Penix takes the job. The Panthers need another potential long term QB option than Young after last years disaster. 

18 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Where's the value? 52 is not a 1st round talent. Next year's 3rd is a potential starter.

If we're going to trade and have to wait until next year. I want a 1st. Period. 

Agreed.  Dan is taking BPA unless the offer includes a 2025 1st. 

• Beer 1

In this draft, because it's so deep at WR, there will be 1st and/or borderline 1st round talent with both picks 33 and 39. Do not trade down to actual 2nd or 3rd round talent areas just to accumulate draft capital. Quality is more important than quantity. Mainly due to free agent acquisitions. For the first time in a long time, the FO has actually set the team up to take a couple of homerun swings. Don't get timid at the plate now.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

If Penix is still on the board at 33 I honestly think the Panthers should draft him. He either motivates Bryce to step it up and Penix can be traded to recoup the value, or Penix takes the job. The Panthers need another potential long term QB option than Young after last years disaster. 

Have thought about this a lot and agree. Penix is incredible, and having him as insurance in case Bryce gets hurt or doesn’t pan out would be great. And if Penix is the real deal then we have our QB of the future and we got him with a second round pick which obviates our need to sell the farm to draft a future QB or overpay for a mediocre FA.