• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Another reason to root for UDFA Jalan Coker

Now knowing his dad has been a life long fan, combined with how quick the deal was announced and how much of a guarantee we gave him.

I wonder if his agent was telling teams not to draft him in the 6th and 7th round because he already knew he wanted to come here, especially as it gives him a good chance to make the team given our WR situation.

Because he should have been drafted, so maybe that is why he wasn't.

I'm rooting for him because the WR still feels incomplete to me.  It's a combination of our slot guys not having either speed or the short area quickness to beat better NBs and break big plays, and also not really having resolution at flanker.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, tukafan21 said:

Now knowing his dad has been a life long fan, combined with how quick the deal was announced and how much of a guarantee we gave him.

I wonder if his agent was telling teams not to draft him in the 6th and 7th round because he already knew he wanted to come here, especially as it gives him a good chance to make the team given our WR situation.

Because he should have been drafted, so maybe that is why he wasn't.

So his dad is only 29?

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

So his dad is only 29?

I mean, first of all, I'm not the one who initially said he was a life long fan, it was in that tweet in the OP.

But more importantly, "life long fan" is a relative term, especially for a franchise like the Panthers.  I think anyone who was say, 10-12 or younger when the franchise started, and been a fan since the start, could claim to be a life long fan.

I'm 38, been a fan of the team since year 1 even though I'm not even from the Carolinas, after almost 30 years of fandom and following them since the beginning, I have no issue saying I'm a life long Panthers fan.

Very possible his dad is say around 40 years old and been a Panthers fan since the start.  And even if he's a little older, if you're a fan of a team for 30 out of your say 45ish years of life... that's "life long" in that instance.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 1

That's a fun little tidbit.  Fun.

I like that he gets the Steve Smith approval, whatever that means.  At the end of the day, it's all about winning.  Can he help the Panthers win? Can he help our offense improve?  If so, YES!  If not, best wishes!

Pulling for him because he's our annual UDFA WR we're all hot and bothered over 😃  And if I need to go balastic defending him to haters...well I won't! =P

• Beer 1

15 hours ago, TD alt said:

That's the guarantee. I was referring to his $25,000 salary, which most of the people that earn that have to work an entire year to make. For Coker, not so much.

He got 25k bonus and 225k guaranteed 

• Pie 1

Why do people immediately just post every random thought in their head before looking at anything related to the player? Coker is 6'3" and weighs 215lbs, but he is going to take over the slot role once A. Thielen leaves. I thought the whole point of a message board was for your opinion to be looked at and taken somewhat seriously. Too many people too anxious and excited to get in on the conversation around here. 

• Beer 1