• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Say You're the New GM. What do you Do About the Oline going Into 2021 season??

Hoenheim

9 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I’m not sure what you’re getting at. If we don’t get the right qb with our top ten pick not only are we gonna be stuck in purgatory but we lose out on a top 10 prospect at another position that we sorely need as well. Qb purgatory is real and happens to a ton of franchises.

You could still be in qb hell even if you drafted a hof CB or TE or something at pick 8 this year . Bears have been like this for what over 30 years now ??

I get what you mean tho. If they aren't going to trade up it doesn't make sense to use 8 on a qb prospect you aren't sure about or has huge red flags. 

And this is probably the main reason why what Scot is saying about the season could go worse for us next season has some validity. 

As I don't have all the relevant information regarding contracts and free agents--and a lot of this will be situational and perhaps at a moment's notice--I won't begin to presume what decisions I'd make regarding the O-line. But, we honestly need to do something. I may give thoughts as the situation unveils itself.

4 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

You could still be in qb hell even if you drafted a hof CB or TE or something at pick 8 this year . Bears have been like this for what over 30 years now ??

I get what you mean tho. If they aren't going to trade up it doesn't make sense to use 8 on a qb prospect you aren't sure about or has huge red flags. 

Lol yes I know this I don’t think you’re understanding me. I would take the chance on Lance if he’s there. That’s just me personally. But I understand the risk of him busting and how that would set us back even further.

29 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Unlikely you draft a really good starter for the oline. Usually takes time to develop. The oline is special because you have to draft guys that gel together, not just good, single players. So it takes time.

I don’t count Paradis...he is ungodly awful and shouldn’t be starting. Plus he has one year left. Once again the Panthers are in the position to address this BEFORE it becomes an (even more) glaring hole and they need to.

They’ve had what...6?8? Starting LTs since Oher? That has to lead to league. I’m clearly not talking about all pros everywhere...even an average LT isn’t easy to find.

Point is, the Panthers have dug a hole and won’t be fielding a competing oline for a couple years.

I dunno, theres some good OT available in the 2nd/3rd rounds.  

If, and only if we don't draft a QB.

- Trade back from to 8 to somewhere between 12-15.  In this trade add another 2nd round pick.

- Draft Darrisaw or Slater in the 1st

- Use one of the 2nd round picks to draft a center, Creed Humphrey, Josh Meyers, or Landon Dickerson. If you think one will be there in the 3rd round, then that's fine too.

- Sign Joe Thuney to play LG, he is very good. Having Thuney between two rookies at LT and Center is like having a coach on the field for the youngsters. Thuney has also played some center for the Patriots, could really help a rookie center. Brandon Scherff would be my backup option, unless we can sign both

- Resign Moton 

Darrisaw/Slater

Thuney/Scherff

Humphrey/Meyers/Dickerson

Scherff/Reed

Moton

Tackles:

Sign Moton, really good player at a high value position, these are the type of guys you give the big contracts to.

Try to resign Okung to a cheaper short term deal.  If not you are going to need to find another free agent to sign, can't count on a rookie to step in.

If we don't go QB in the first, I'm not sure tackle will line up where we are picking and I'm not a fan of chasing projects later in the draft.  LT types take a commitment, spend an early pick (1st round or maybe 2nd) and give them time to develop.  A lot better chance of finding that late round gem at other positions.

Also if I decide to draft a tackle later in the later rounds, I hope it is a guy that could possible also play guard if tackle doesn't work out.  Nothing wrong with finding a backup in later rounds, especially if he can be flex type of guy.

Guards:

More times than not there will be some vet guards and/or centers that hit the market in free agency as cap causalities.  With the potentially reduced salary cap that could even be more true.  Might be some value there.

Also if I was a GM I would draft interior lineman often in the mid rounds and do so frequently.  They seem to fall in the draft more than most positions.  No excuse to not have a decent player on a rookie contract on your roster at the guard position.

Franchise Moton

Keep Paradis (aka kick the Center can down the road one more year)

Try to re-sign one of Schofield/Miller for cheap

Draft OG in rounds 2-3

Draft LT in round 2-3

Draft best o lineman available in round 4

Sign veteran LT. 

Go all in on LT in next draft if no tackle pans out this year. Draft C in rounds 2-3 next year 

7 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

Overthecap says kk has a 20 mil cap hit for 2021. He really needs to be cut badly.

We have over 57 million dollars on the books for 2021 on three players : Teddy Bridgewater , Shaq Thompson, KK Short. Jesus christ.... Now I'm starting to understand why Hurney firing is long overdue

Yep. People kept saying we did a good job with little or no cap and that we had so much dead cap but honestly, more than half of our dead cap and IR cap was from new moves like Weatherly, not releasing Short before 2020, Apple, Roberts, etc.

We could have had $80M+ in extra cap in 2021 had we released Short, not signed Teddy, traded Turner for a pick (even a day 3 pick) to not take on Okung for 6 games, and not signed Weatherly, Apple or Roberts. The net on the team would have been that we were 4-12 had pick 3, had $80M+ more cap to rollover, a 3rd round comp pick and two more 5th or 6th round comp picks (we should get one).

Marty fubar’d the future for probably one more win with that collection of garbage he added. I mean with all that extra that we could have had, we’d be on our way to competing in 2022 with a bunch of young OL, not losing any of our young core, a rookie QB, gobs more young talent and money to sign a couple high profile FAs.

11 minutes ago, BrianS said:

There is NO WAY Sewell gets past the Bengals.

Only way he does is if Slater looks good, and I mean really good at the combine. Some reports have had Slater ranked ahead of Sewell, even though he took the year off because of covid. If, and that's a big if, Slater gets taken at 5, and Sewell is there at 8, I think we have to seriously consider him UNLESS the QB we wanted all along is available. We cant afford to reach for a QB because we're desperate and make a desperation pick based on hope. 

9 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

We have over 57 million dollars on the books for 2021 on three players : Teddy Bridgewater , Shaq Thompson, KK Short. Jesus christ.... Now I'm starting to understand why Hurney firing is long overdue

A ton of us knew about this and Pepperidge Farm remembers how Hurney fugged our cap before Gettleman fixed it for us....Hurney needed to be fired last year or even in 2018. 

Hurney in two different stints with the Panthers bent our salary cap over and fugged it dry.  Fug that guy.

Its going to time/years to fix the OL, even with luck.

For starters tag Moton and work out a deal.

Sign John Miller for 2-3 years for cheap.

Redo Paradis contract.

Pour resources into this years draft class and 2021 for OTs. 

Have serious talks about spending the #8 pick on Rashawn Slater or leatherwood.

LG will need to filled by a cheap free agent flier, just like Reed this past year.

Lock Little and daley in the weight room with 100 gallons of bull semen and a mystic guru.

Hire Dante Scarnecchia as a consultant.

Increase OLcoach Pat Meyer salary and his assistants

Pray  

Archived