• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Keep Davis or make Smith the #2 RB

Jmac

Mike Davis had a decent year and may be of value to some teams. Rodney Smith looked good ( when he got a shot) and would be less $$. Would you let Davis walk and make Smith the #2? If CMC can't stay healthy next year do you have faith in Smith to carry the load?

I think everyone would love to keep Davis including the staff, but he has played well enough that we won’t be able to afford him. Rhule really seems to like getting young players and developing them, and  I am willing to bet that the analytics show it’s not smart to tie up that much money in the RB position with what we are paying CMC. I’d rather use that money to retain Moton. With all The holes we still must fill, along with rebuilding the O line, Davis seems to be all but gone. 

Priority in my opinion needs to be making damn sure we keep Moton and Samuel. Davis is likely the odd man out in this situation. CMC should return healthy next year and our RB by committee did an above average job this season all things considered so I think you could let Davis walk and feel comfortable about it.

11 minutes ago, Jmac said:

Mike Davis had a decent year and may be of value to some teams. Rodney Smith looked good ( when he got a shot) and would be less $$. Would you let Davis walk and make Smith the #2? If CMC can't stay healthy next year do you have faith in Smith to carry the load?

Neither, ideally. Davis was very solid but we shouldn't pay what we'd need to to keep him. Either draft a RB on day 3 to be backup, sign a lower tier one in FA, or worst case stick with Smith/Bonnafon, etc. but we really shouldn't invest that much more in the position than we already have.

yep, let Davis walk. 

Davis is a reminder that in a decent offensive scheme.....productive RB play isn't that hard to find.   Don't need to waste money on CMC's backup.  That should be a position made up of draft type players and cheap FAs.

26 minutes ago, Jmac said:

Didn't we put Bonnafan on IR.  I think he is a better option.

Anyone who thinks Davis is going to cost alot doesn't know alot about how the NFL values running backs anymore.  Davis had a 3 million cap hit in 2020.  At 28, before next year starts, he won't get that much from his next contract.  You could probably bring him back for around 2 million.  But if getting younger on offense is your goal, bringing back a 28 year old running back probably is not the answer.

Archived