• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rapoport: Panthers expected to be in the mix for Watson.

6 minutes ago, t96 said:

Waiting to trade him does nothing but hurt the Texans. Sure they can try to play hardball with Watson and call his bluff or try to mend fences, but there’s no real incentive to doing that if Watson won’t play ball and just wants out 100%. They just hurt themselves to spite Watson which makes no sense for them. 

It has nothing to do with the Texans’ reputation, it has to do with what they would get in return for a trade. In the NFL assets that are further out in the future hold less value, so if they delay past this current draft there is a value decline there. Then also, to your point, Watson’s reputation and value takes a hit the longer he goes without playing. Yes teams will still definitely want him even if he sits out a full year, but it will absolutely harm his market value. Watson coming off an MVP caliber year in 2020 is worth much more than Watson who hasn’t played in nearly 2 years (which is what it would be if he sits out all of 2021). And in addition, this draft is going to produce 3-4 highly drafted QBs that will take 3-4 teams out of the market for Watson (and also prevent Houston from replacing Watson with 1 of them in this stacked class). All of this would lead to them getting less for Watson if they wait. 

I agree that it’s possible he may not be traded until draft day, but if he is 100% adamant on wanting out, then he’ll be traded by the end of day 1 of the draft. Not any time after that.

His value isn't going to change tremendously over the course of a year, especially if they take less now then they should.  There will always be a market for elite QBs.  A players earning window is somewhat short also so if he sits out too long he will cut into his own earnings.

I do agree that between now and draft night will probably be the most likely time to trade him but my only point is if I'm the GM of the Texans I will let him sit out before I take a bad deal for him period.

You are trying to compare an offer next year to a good offer this year. I'm saying before I would take a bad offer this year I will keep him and let him sit at home.  I can get a bad offer next year also.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

And based on comments from Tepper and Rhule, we deeply regret it.

That's the one nice thing about the NFL.  It's not like the NBA where you are stuck with bad contracts no matter what.

Certainly Bridgewater's contract would complicate a trade for Watson, but it won't be the deciding factor IMO if there actually exists a chance for the Panthers to get Watson.

Finding a franchise QB is priority 1, 2, & 3.

Just b/c Bridgewater didn't work out doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to try.

We definitely aren't in as bad a spot as the Rams or Eagles with the contracts they gave Goff & Wentz respectively.

17 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

That's the one nice thing about the NFL.  It's not like the NBA where you are stuck with bad contracts no matter what.

Certainly Bridgewater's contract would complicate a trade for Watson, but it won't be the deciding factor IMO if there actually exists a chance for the Panthers to get Watson.

Finding a franchise QB is priority 1, 2, & 3.

Just b/c Bridgewater didn't work out doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to try.

We definitely aren't in as bad a spot as the Rams or Eagles with the contracts they gave Goff & Wentz respectively.

But acting like another team will want TB as a starter based on his performance this year as part of a trade deal is definitely a stretch. He doesn't bring anything to a trade you cant get for 15m a year cheaper from pretty much anyone else. 

6 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Other than QB ... what position does Houston actually need? You can say you'd give them this guy or that guy but they may not need this guy or that guy.

They need a LB.  Cunningham is meh, they've been wanting a good one for a while.  Don't know if Shaq fits their scheme but I could see him as a 3-4 ILB.  Maybe I'm cray though.

Don't know if they'd want 2 huge RB contracts after trading for Johnson last year but you never know.

Defensive line, especially if they're shipping Watt per rumors.  Could we package Short and pretend he's still good?