• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Go on record. Who still wants Watson?

Sasquatch

20 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

If McNair was behind it all they would have shipped him for 3-4 first rounders beforehand. And no "but the Texans dont make sense!!!" is not an argument. They are totally fuged now and the team is gonna lose a ton of cash

Texans might look at it alittle different.. your the owner you just gave one of your star players a huge contract extension.. less then a year later he is demanding a trade.... talking cash s@$/ and making your team look bad .. and how do you stop this from happening again. How would you get out of all that guarantee money that counts against the cap .... it would be a shame if he got #metooed and we had void his contract.... sending a message to future Texans star players .. don’t play that poo with me . Or you will be black balled out the league forever ... but why do that when you could get multiple picks for your team ?? I think now we know why DW wants out the Texans are ran by a bunch of dumb psychopaths... 

Regardless of whether or not the Texans are behind damaging their own goods, low-ball if you think his chances are good.  We have only heard through the females' attorney, and his rep is questionable--let's hear from Watson's attorney. 

Me?  If I am looking into this, it is a buyer's market.  I would offer a deal contingent upon his playing time--So I would send them a #1 in 2022 now, voidable if he does not play.  I would offer 2023 first rounder, and (if possible) the 2024 first rounder, assuming previous years were not voided.  So give them NO first rounders in 2021--no players either.

• Flames 1

12 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I've never been for it. I've been even more against it as the trade costs have inflated. I'm even more against it based on the allegations.

You never get your own improvements done taking on someone else's troubles.

I have had this opinion from the beginning.  

• Pie 3

Something like 1 in 20 sexual assault cases are made up.

The odds Watson is completely innocent is really bad.

We should stay away. The cost to us to trade for him, and the risk of him not playing are way too high right now.

Plus, if it turns out the allegations are true, the negative media for the Panthers would ve brutal and lasting on top of all of the above.

2 hours ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

If McNair was behind it all they would have shipped him for 3-4 first rounders beforehand. And no "but the Texans dont make sense!!!" is not an argument. They are totally fuged now and the team is gonna lose a ton of cash

Still too much unknown to call it any which way.  

if it never evolves past a bunch of anonymous Jane Does making allegations and nothing more? 

Watson and the Texans aren’t screwed yet.   It’s the NFL.   He would just keep playing and everyone would forget about it at large.   Not advocating that is right.  But again, look at superstars in the NFL and more specifically the only QB comparable which is Big Ben.   

This hope that it's a grand conspiracy by Cal McNair is so trashy. He has even more to lose and with his incompetence included there's little to no chance that this is a revenge-based conspiracy. 12 women with 10 more also potentially filing? Why tank Deshaun's value when it is at its peak?

We need to support potential victims of sexual misconduct more than we need to support the loathing of the idea of one more year with Teddy Bridgewater starting at QB. As a Clemson fan and Panthers fan, the idea of Deshaun was intoxicating right up until he needed to sort out his legal affairs. However, if he's out here preying on women and exploiting them by leveraging his power (physical or fame) or even being thought of as doing so then noooooo thank yooooou.

My decency as a person comes before my fanaticism of a company.

Edited by Icege

18 minutes ago, Icege said:

However, if he's out here preying on women and exploiting them by leveraging his power (physical or fame) or even being thought of as doing so then noooooo thank yooooou.

My decency as a person comes before my fanaticism of a company.

This you?

Former Vice President Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, is facing heightened scrutiny over his past conduct towards women. 

Eight women have alleged that Biden either touched them inappropriately or violated their personal space in ways that made them uncomfortable.

One of those women, Tara Reade, alleges that Biden sexually assaulted her in 1993. Biden has unequivocally denied assaulting or harassing Reade.

Biden has also been criticized for repeatedly commenting on the physical appearance of women on the campaign trail, and for refusing to explicitly apologize for his behavior.

https://www.businessinsider.com/joe-biden-allegations-women-2020-campaign-2019-6

• Flames 1

15 minutes ago, Icege said:

We need to support potential victims of sexual misconduct more than we need to support the loathing of the idea of one more year with Teddy Bridgewater starting at QB.

What kind of argument is that to tie those two together? Only a few ignoramuses dislike Bridgewater enough to blindly throw support behind Watson before all the facts have come out. The blanket implication you are making about any Panthers fan who simply wants better quarterback play in 2021 is irresponsible and insulting to all involved.

2 hours ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

This is one point of view that makes some sense. Let's look at another point of view too. To be clear, I am not taking sides at this point, just looking at all points of view. I prefer the truth and justice to prevail, no matter which way it goes. This will be long, but has to be. 

What would the Texans have to gain by setting Watson up without receiving compensation first?

1 - Cover up to make people ask this exact question deferring the possibility that they would set this up. The attorney would advise this as it would seem more "fishy" to trade him then suddenly charges come out.

2 - Ego becomes more important than a few picks. Watson wants traded, Texans don't want to trade. They would rather boost their ego to the public, and get a lesser trade package than "lose" the standoff. Make Deshaun look bad, and themselves a victim to rationalize the eventual trade.

3 - Reputation and power also becomes more important than a few picks/players. Deshaun has called McNair and the Texans out as dishonest and going against their word. Accusations from a player of Watsons caliber could damage a owner/teams reputation around the league, and hurt the chances for future free agent signings. The ability to sign established free agents could hurt way beyond a few unknown draft picks. How do these rich and powerful people counter a person who raises character concerns? They attempt to tear down their character on a bigger scale to deflect the attention from themselves. It happens daily in our pathetic government, and happens all around the world with the "elite"  rich and poweful. They are rich, powerful, and entitled, how dare somebody go against them! Look at what the Texans have already done. They had no intentions of hiring or even interviewing a black head coach. All of this started with Deshaun, the media and fans started questioning why the Texans were avoiding minority candidates. Then all of a sudden they interview 3 or 4 black head coaching candidates. They hired David Culley, and backed it up hiring Lovie Smith as defensive coordinator. They changed perception in an attempt to save reputation. Why not do it again?

4 - Money is also a driving factor. The Texans stand to lose money by trading Watson. They would have to pay a chunk of his money which would also go against their cap. If the NFL were to award them a void of his contract, they would owe nothing going forward, and be free of his cap hit. Money that could be used to add those free agents I spoke about. 

A rich and powerful man not paying a player who doesn't play for him, team having that money/cap space for free agents, free agents who would now be less skeptical of the teams front office integrity, all while being able to pump his chest out after winning the Ego battle is more than enough reason to turn from a few draft picks.

Having said all of that, none of us really know what did or did not happen. We should all hope that the truth prevails, no matter what that truth is. If he is guilty, he should face every consequence. If he is innocent, then each woman should face consequences of false allegations. If it ever comes out that McNair or anybody else is behind this, that person should face consequences.