• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Optimistic or pessimistic?

musicman

I'm optimistic, there's a lot of activity and it looks like they are actively continuing to try and build a team.

But I'm wearing out. Last year was a lousy season. We invested our entire draft on defense and played like a bunch of old ladies -- we couldn't stop any team that wasn't already on the verge of firing their coach. There were games where we never stopped a team from converting a third down. It was the softest I've ever seen a Panthers team play since the organization began. 

And I saw an offense that couldn't bail us out, even with three players netting over 1,000 yards each. Our offensive play calling seemed, well, amateurish and that was coming from one of the most heralded  OCs to come from the college ranks. 

We looked sad last season. We can't do that again. No one expected an overnight turn around but we've got to see some progress this year. I saw more fight out of the John Fox "making me coach out this stupid contract" Panthers team. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

I'm optimistic, there's a lot of activity and it looks like they are actively continuing to try and build a team.

But I'm wearing out. Last year was a lousy season. We invested our entire draft on defense and played like a bunch of old ladies -- we couldn't stop any team that wasn't already on the verge of firing their coach. There were games where we never stopped a team from converting a third down. It was the softest I've ever seen a Panthers team play since the organization began. 

And I saw an offense that couldn't bail us out, even with three players netting over 1,000 yards each. Our offensive play calling seemed, well, amateurish and that was coming from one of the most heralded  OCs to come from the college ranks. 

We looked sad last season. We can't do that again. No one expected an overnight turn around but we've got to see some progress this year. I saw more fight out of the John Fox "making me coach out this stupid contract" Panthers team. 

Last offseason, I think, was my most hated one in Panthers history...and then the team came out and did exactly what I expected them to do.  Be bad enough to keep us in the top 10, but just good enough for it to be at the rear of the top 10.  I like to call that a "Hurney Special".  Last offseason was embarrassing.

We are making some better decisions this year for sure, I don't like everything we have done...looking at you Fitts for restructuring, but I understand why...but we have done a pretty good job so far.

Optimistic. Which is my nature but I'm more so now than usual. I really like Rhule. He seems relentless in his work.  I think his staff is good too. Brady and Snow. I thought they played better last season than I expected them too. The moves this off season look smart and well thought out. I don't even hate the OL brought in. They fit our scheme and the beauty about zone blocking is as long as the guys can move, they don't have to be the best blockers they just have to get in people's way. I think the defense has the potential to put a lot of pressure on the opposing offenses which will make our secondary better. I also think Sam Darnold was a great move. Yes, he had a bad 3 seasons with the Jets, but he was thrown onto the field at only 20 years old with little experience. Never should have happened. At 23 years old I feel like we just drafted a QB except we've got tape of him playing in the NFL. I'm sure Rhule and staff already have everything worked out for him. They will immediately start coaching him and showing him what he does wrong and how to fix it. Then they will run an offense that fits his skills and give him the chance to succeed. That kid has the ability. He just needs good coaching and I think he'll have that here.  

I'm optimistic. To be fair, optimism is my default state most of the time, but my optimism in regards to the Panthers future is more rooted in Rhule and co. I really like their approach. Flexible and adaptable, always eager to learn and change in order to put the team in the best possible position - very dynamic from my perspective. I'm expecting good things over the next few seasons.

Reddick and Fox are positives but then we look to be relying on some guys with real injury concerns and histories. 

As it stands? Concerned that we will not keep addressing those spots aggressively and will end up with a really thin roster again with a few bright spots. 

TDB until the draft. 

1 hour ago, Ocpanthertew714 said:

They say the optimist invented the airplane, and the pessimist invented the parachute.  So, I honestly have a healthy dose of each.  

I will say... no matter what happens this draft,  I hope we can all (just for a moment) step away from our secondary life of "the greatest talent evaluator that the NFL has never heard of" and realize that this organization is doing everything possible to deliver us to the promise land. 

The pragmatist gave the pilot a pistol instead of a parachute so they try their best to save the plane.

...I don't know if that's an extension of the analogy in this case. But it's a damned interesting piece of WWI trivia.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Fairly apathetic to be honest. I honestly don't think we're making smart moves right now but we still have the draft. It's just hard to be optimistic when the franchise history doesn't give much reason to support it and I've grown weary of being pessimistic after this latest trade so I'm kinda just laying back  at this point hoping for the best while fully expecting the worst. So, we'll see...

im not quite sure what better moves they could have made on defense.