• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

General 1st Round Draft Discussion

The Huddler

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• PMH4OWPW7JD2TDGWZKTOYL2T3E.jpg

• Topics

• then why dont teams do that more if the 5th is so valuable?  If thats the case then the bills clearly value moving up 60 spots vs a 5th on a wr or whatever
    • guaranteed for injury only. I know I know he's always hurt. But if he sucks this year or misses more time this year but can pass a physical after the season we can cut him with zero $ on the books. 12.4 isn't much for a corner these days. easy decision in my view to pick up the option.
    • Historic Success Chart  (this chart is nine years old, but it shows the basic pattern of success) The numbers show us the following outline for finding consistent starters: 1st Round - OL (83%) LB (70%) TE (67%) DB (64%) QB (63%) WR (58%) RB (58%) DL (58%) 2nd Round - OL (70%) LB (55%) TE (50%) WR (49%) DB (46%) QB (27%) DL (26%) RB (25%) 3rd Round - OL (40%) TE (39%) LB (34%) DL (27%) WR (25%) DB (24%) QB (17%) RB (16%) 4th Round - DL (37%) TE (33%) OL (29%) LB (16%) WR(12%) DB (11%) RB (11%) QB (8%) 5th Round - TE (32%) DB (17%) WR (16%) OL (16%) DL (13%) RB (9%) LB (4%) QB (0%) 6th Round - TE (26%) OL (16%) DL (13%) WR (9%) DB (8%) RB (6%) LB (5%) QB (0%) 7th Round - DB (11%) OL (9%) QB (6%) WR (5%) DL (3%) LB (2%) RB (0%) TE (0%) https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round Disclaimer:  I realize the first thing some of you will attempt to do is discredit the validity of this empirical study in an attempt to invalidate any conclusions that differ from those you have developed without any degree of exhaustive research or mild inquiry--comparative analysis, data collection, or coding, etc.  So I suppose I should apologize in advance for providing unsubstantiated and unapproved data for our casual consumption; if you'd like, I can get the address for those at Pro Football Reference who are responsible and allow you to contact them or seek compensatory damages.  If this information is still relatively accurate, the probable success rate for our WR selection yesterday should be in the 55-58% range, considering the depth of the position in this year's draft.  FUN FACTS:  For those of you wanting to double dip at WR:  The probability of starting drops in half each round from the second to fourth, and then (strangely) jumps from 12% to 16% in round 5, dropping back down to 9% in round 6...Notice the incredibly high (compared to the others) rate of success for TEs taken in rounds 5 and 6.  TEs drafted in the fifth round nearly double the chance for starting when compared to nearly every other position.  In the sixth round, the chance for TEs becoming a starter is 10% higher than the next highest position--5 times higher than a sixth round LB, for example. Statements that are related to the Panther situation based on this data: If we take a C in round 2 the chances of finding a starter are about three fourths (75%), the chances for drafting a LB in round 3 drops from more than half (55%) to a third (34%).  Finding a starting CB in the third round (opposed to the second) would drop from nearly half (46%) to a quarter (24%). If we take a LB in round 2, the chances of finding a starter are just over a half (55%).  Finding a starting CB in the third round (opposed to the second) would drop from nearly half (50%) to a quarter (24%).  Finding a starting C in the third would drop from 75% to 40%. If we take a CB in round 2, the chances of finding a starter are about 50%.  the chances of finding a starting C would drop from 75% to 40% in round 3.  The chances for drafting a LB in round 3 drops from more than half (55%) to a third (34%) So what scenario gives us the highest percentage of finding 2 players in rounds 2 and 3 that give us the highest likelihood for finding starters? Round 2: Center 75%, LB 55%, CB, 50% Round 3:  Center 40%, LB 34%, and CB 24% Other tips DAY 3:  This is when you draft the TE.  Between rounds 4-6, the percentage of finding a starter drops from 33% (rd 4) to 32% (rd. 5) to 26% (rd. 6). Recommendation: Draft your TE round 5. Round 4:  This is when you draft a Defensive Lineman.  37% chance of becoming a starter.  That is 10% higher than the third round and 24% higher than the fifth round. Round 5: The best round for drafting WR on day 3 (16% chance of starting). Round 7:  Draft a defensive back.  There is a one-in-nine chance of finding a starter--11%.  PROGNOSIS:  Based on this draft,  If we draft Center (rd 2) and ILB (rd 3) and have the best chance of producing two starters 54.5% If we draft LB (rd 2) and Center (rd. 3) the chance for producing 2 starters is 47.5%. If we draft a CB (rd 2) and LB (rd 3), the chance for producing 2 starters is 42%. If we draft a LB (rd 2) and CB (rd 3) the chance for producing 2 starters is 39.5%.* * in my opinion, based on the depth of this draft, this is probably what the Panthers will do-- At any rate, this is not law or current, but it does give you some ideas--hope you enjoy it.