• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Very Discouraged By Rhule and His Comments After the Game

Proudiddy

I've been a very strong supporter of Rhule but my faith in him and his coaching abilities is starting to wane a tad.  Straight up love how they've built the defense and offensive weapons, but then you look at the playcalling, lack of pro-level chess playing w/gameplans, OL and QB, it is just really suspect. 

He's not looking hot but is not done.  Now we'll see how they retool after acting a bit cocky these past few weeks a bit too soon

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Fox007 said:

But trusting him to hit Robby for a first down later in the game? Only for him to drop it. Na they just have no idea wtf they are doing. There is no rhyme or reason and there isn't a distrust of Darnold. You're actually trying to think about it which is something they aren't doing clearly.

Yup, its why robby's "emotion" is lost on anyone with a brain cell.  He failed at salting the game on third down, and then failed again at even trying to save the game on the last interception.  Im legitimately done with him.

• Pie 2

I still believe in Rhule. Today was a meltdown but it was primarily down to execution more than it was scheme. 

Darnold failed today. 3 boneheaded picks and 3 overthrows on chainmovers. You can’t coach around that. Nor can you force Robby to catch the ball. Or for Chubba to suddenly have a 4th gear. The offensive line was yet again poor but the plays were there to win the game. I don’t see how you can blame that on coaching.

The special teams block was unacceptable but we should have been up 17 by that point anyway. 

The defense played phenomenal overall. Really can’t blame them at all. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

23 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

Jesus Tittyfuging Christ this place is full of menstrual dudes. The line is garbage, Sam Darnold isn’t ready to put the team on his back and he needs his security blanket CMC for now. I love these hot takes though. You guys throw tantrums that would embarrass a two year old. 

I'm confused as to what you expect after a bad loss on a sports forum lol?  People excited or throwing praise where there is none to throw? 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, BIGH2001 said:

This team reminds me a lot of the 2002 Panthers that started 3-0 with a young defense playing out of its mind before crashing back to earth and finishing 7-9.

I've had the same thought. The question is where is 2022's version of 2003's Jake Delhomme?

• Pie 1

The players are playoff quality. Not championship quality though.

They look great with what the coaches have prepared them for.

The problem is Rhule neglects preparing the team for game winning scenarios, and that is so much more important in the NFL than it is in college. The team looks so sloppy when they are in the critical game situations. It's not a single player that's the problem. The offense and defense are not prepared for game winning scenarios. We know the kicking game is messed up too. When the game is on the line the coaches are not prepared.

Bridgewater spoke the truth and Bridgewater was not the problem. More DBs and great players will never overcome piss poor coaching preparation. Rhule is the weak point on this team and still learning.

It seems like Rhule is a good coach and development guy OUTSIDE of the game.  Like Rivera kind of.   Terrible at adjustments are half time though, just like Rivera.  Kind of worse because Rivera's plans sometimes worked MOST of the game, Rhule has yet to last past halftime.  That hurts saying that.

4 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I agree, and perhaps the old-school, run-heavy philosophy Rhule is preaching now is more about limiting Sam than actual belief that it leads to wins.

I’ve always argued Rhule made his name in college essentially playing similar to Fox and Rivera.   It’s not apples to apples but it’s always been in the same ballpark. 

Rhule teams and success have always been about playing to the defense.    That’s  what his college teams did.  Great defense.  Okay offense.  

and it is an approach that is good for pulling teams out of the gutter.   Rhule did that.  Fox and Rivera’s brand of football are good for that too.   Never suited for much more than being okay.    But Rhule only won 1 conference title in college.  Which isn’t an impressive resume overall for a college to pro HC.    

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, BlackPanther21_ said:

The thing is...McCaffrey is also our best receiver, and honestly, maybe our 2nd best blocker as well...

Oh good, overpaying your "best" player in a position and usage where it is most likely he gets injured?

(Cuz that's what RB's do in the modern NFL... get injured.)

So... yay?

4 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I appreciate his ownership of our shortcomings, but as I've watched the last two weeks, after believing we may have had a master tactician at the them after some of the calls he made last season, I am not encouraged at all.

The Belichick-like calls on 4th downs, crafty ways of time management, and the obvious halftime adjustments from last season are long gone.  Instead, we have Fox and Rivera redux.  No aggression, no attacking, no proactive measures...  just us curled up in the corner of the squared circle, taking hook, after hook, after uppercut with no way to defend ourselves.

I have been a believer in Rhule.  I have kept quiet when others criticized him for his collegial leanings.  Again, I was encouraged by what we saw last season - but this guy, perhaps more entrenched and comfortable as his system is further cemented in year two, is not the coach from last season.

I couldn't help but be troubled by the continued flat affect our team displayed, yet again, in the 3rd quarter today, and pretty much the entire second half as well.  It continues the troubling trend of us clearly getting hit with halftime adjustments from our opponent's coaching staff, while our staff flails around haplessly unprepared, leaving our players to wander aimlessly with no sense of what direction is up or forward.  I was really bothered for a couple of reasons.  The first being that Rhule has already acknowledged each game that we struggled in the second half it was because the other team made adjustments and implemented things we hadn't seen yet or prepared for.  So he acknowledges we were both outcoached and unprepared on multiple occasions now, with no backup plan in place.  Number two, the overwhelming tone of the decisions made in these second halves, particularly today, was among the most conservative approaches I've ever seen in professional coaching.  The aggression and attacking style he displayed last season with numerous conversion attempts on 4th down, including fake punts are nowhere to be found.  But, John Fox-like-calls, electing to punt with his place kicker for a punt netting 20 yards are here, and so is electing to punt on 4th and 2 near midfield with the league's worst punter, who also nets about 30-35 yards on his attempt.  And lastly, I'm brought back to opponents summarizing our team under Rivera as one that doesn't adjust, doesn't make changes, doesn't evolve, but is going to caveman it out on the field and do exactly what you saw on tape and hope you don't stop it.  For all that I thought was different about Rhule, he is illustrating it is all very much the same.

Even more troubling than seeing all of this, was Rhule stating in his presser that winning football is about running the ball and controlling the line of scrimmage.  I, and anyone knowledgeable of football whatsoever, would agree that controlling the line is an absolute must for winning football.  But the overall tone, and the emphasis on running the ball - it just reeked of Fox and Rivera in retrospect of what took place on the tried today in the second half, as well as the games that preceded it in the same fashion.  What it tells me, is yes, our staff is being outcoached and not able to counter adjustments made by the opponents; but, it also tells me that some of that is by design due to our staff's antiquated views on modern winning football.  A running game helps, but getting a small lead and believing you can just old-school your way into a win for an entire half by pounding the opponent into submission with a smashmouth running game, with a porous offensive line no less, is absolutely mind-blowing.  He is telling on himself both in what he says and how he is managing these games - he thinks he can win the game by bogging the game down and hanging onto a marginal lead before our grip gives way.  

It is troubling, because again, for all of the shiny new things we saw last season that led us to believe, we may finally have a cutting-edge, analytics-heavy, forward-thinking coach and staff...  we don't.  We have a guy cut from the same cloth as his predecessors who believes a punt is a good play and we can ride a defense until the wheels fall off.  Sigh.

Preach brother! Any fan who wasn't disgusted with that performance needs to get off the god dazz field. Ill leave it to Hubby1 to juice the squad but a high school squad could have finished that game. A pro team wins by 4 scores. WTF did I just watch? Sobering up is only pissing me more!