• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule's contract won't save him

Zod

Tepper should know to not appear too flippant.  Us making every which move at every sight of struggle is not indicative of a good structure.  I could see 1 more year but it depends on how poorly the second half of the season goes.  Still have a lot of games left to be played.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

3rd.  He isn't leapfrogging Cam and Jake just by walking in the door.  

Cousins false into that risk adverse tier of QB.  While he might be more polished than Jake, the willingness to put the ball up matters.   And Jake's teams had more overall success in Carolina vs Cousin's Minny teams because of that. 

I think people forget how good or not good Jake actually was.  Yeah, he was clutch as hell, and we had success with him, but its not like he ever lit up the scoreboard or the stat sheet.  His career high for passing yards was 3886, and TDs was 29 - both coming in the same season.  He threw a ton of picks relative to the number of passes he attempted and TDs he threw.  Not saying hes not a Panthers legend, because he is, and I have nothing but fond memories of his time here (except for the infamous playoff game).

BUT

Cousins is objectively a better QB all around than Jake.  Its just a fact. His career high in passing yards is 4917, and hes over 4000 just about every single year of his starting career.  Also he throws way less INTs and way more TDs than Jake ever though about throwing, and hes usually right around 70% completion. The only thing Jake has over Kirk is the "clutch" factor. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

56 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

Tepper probably sat through meetings where Rhule and co. are telling him that Darnold is basically rookie so it made sense to pass on a QB in the draft. There is no way Rhule isn’t at high risk of being canned.

Yup. A rookie that costs 3 draft picks and $18 million next year. We're paying Teddy $17 million to play for the Broncos right now! Rhules ego was too big to just have Teddy finish out this year while a rookie learned on the bench. 

4 minutes ago, joemac said:

I think people forget how good or not good Jake actually was.  Yeah, he was clutch as hell, and we had success with him, but its not like he ever lit up the scoreboard or the stat sheet.  His career high for passing yards was 3886, and TDs was 29 - both coming in the same season.  He threw a ton of picks relative to the number of passes he attempted and TDs he threw.  Not saying hes not a Panthers legend, because he is, and I have nothing but fond memories of his time here (except for the infamous playoff game).

BUT

Cousins is objectively a better QB all around than Jake.  Its just a fact. His career high in passing yards is 4917, and hes over 4000 just about every single year of his starting career.  Also he throws way less INTs and way more TDs than Jake ever though about throwing, and hes usually right around 70% completion. The only thing Jake has over Kirk is the "clutch" factor. 

Good point. Jake had the heart of a lion and just wouldn't back down or curl up into a ball.

Clutch is a great word.

Tommy Jane Jake was a sht show. It takes time for guys to heal from arm/shoulder injuries.

The Colts gave Andrew Luck all the time he needed yet he quit on them. Jake and Cam were never quitters, they would never back down from a challenge.

That's why they are and probably will remain the best Panther QBs in history. These guys don't grow on trees.

• Pie 3

16 minutes ago, joemac said:

BUT

Cousins is definately more polished.   It's the risk adverse issue though.   And risk adverse QBs often look much better on paper than gunslinger types.   But his career in Minny also has featured his teammates routintely blasting him during games for not throwing the ball.    Because Cousins too often won't make attempt the play that needs to be made. 

Cousins is 28-26-1 in Minny with 1 playoff win.  

Jake was 53-37 in Carolina with 5 playoffs win.  

and I don't think the arguement holds that the difference there is simply Jake having sigfnicantly better talent. 

They are just polar opposite QBs.  And the stats will always reflect that IMO.    

• Pie 3

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

You guys are nuts if you think temper pulls the plug 2 years into a 7 year deal.  Simply nuts

Dom Capers was fired in 1998, two years after signing a Ten year deal with the Jerry Richardson's Panthers.

Yeah, tightwad JR is a pauper compared to David Tepper.

Is firing Rhule two years into his seven year contract possible?  It's more than possible, right now I say it's likely.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Dom Capers was fired in 1998, two years after signing a Ten year deal with the Jerry Richardson's Panthers.

Yeah, tightwad JR is a pauper compared to David Tepper.

Is firing Rhule two years into his seven year contract possible?  It's more than possible, right now I say it's likely.

I’ll take that bet