• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Opinions: what prompted the Cam signing

Jmac

Well we do know that the team has been in touch with Cam since two sundays ago. I think the Darnold injury was icing on the cake to make the move. I don't think this team ever thought that they werent gonna bring in a capable replacement. 

Knowing that they were talking to Cam two weeks ago, makes me feel like the Barkley signing was to pressure Cam into coming. Make it look like we were going to go in another direction, it's possible (and i dont blame him) Cam was playing hard ball. 

• Pie 3

Tepper realizing he's losing the fan base, fast. Quickest way to reverse course is to bring back a popular fan favorite. Any wins we get out of Newton along the way is just a luxury, but not the #1 reason behind this. 

This franchise is a joke the way it's been ran in regards to personal the last few years. 

• Pie 1

I don’t know for sure but the Panthers made a hot mess of the QB situation the past few years. It has come full circle now.
Dumped Cam with a year left on his contract to sign Teddy with incompetent Grier, and PJ. Then wasted cap space to dump Teddy. And then wasted draft picks for Sam. You can’t make this up. Terrible mgmt of the most important position on a NFL team. I still think Rhule is on the hot seat. 

17 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I’m guessing asses in seats was the real final reason for Tepper. You saw how people reacted here. Tepper needs some kind of business boost. 

Rhule also was definitely sat down by Tepper and Fitts this week. You could tell by his media time. “The FO is exploring all options, it’s my job to get this team ready for next week as a coach” lines he was throwing out. Tepper took away full control from him, that’s pretty obvious now. 

Giving full control of a nfl team to a college coach and then be surprised when he doesn’t know what he’s doing? It’s silly, major mistakes were made by both sides!

Fan attendance, plain and simple.  It worked on me, I wasn't driving from Raleigh to see the poo show that was on the field currently, but with #1 back, I'll be happy to.  Even if he is only 75% of what he use to be, he still gives us a chance to win every week.  That's what made him so exciting to watch.

• Pie 3

15 minutes ago, thennek said:

I don’t know for sure but the Panthers made a hot mess of the QB situation the past few years. It has come full circle now.
Dumped Cam with a year left on his contract to sign Teddy with incompetent Grier, and PJ. Then wasted cap space to dump Teddy. And then wasted draft picks for Sam. You can’t make this up. Terrible mgmt of the most important position on a NFL team. I still think Rhule is on the hot seat. 

This.  Our Favorite Apple Pie

39 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I’m guessing asses in seats was the real final reason for Tepper. You saw how people reacted here. Tepper needs some kind of business boost. 

Rhule also was definitely sat down by Tepper and Fitts this week. You could tell by his media time. “The FO is exploring all options, it’s my job to get this team ready for next week as a coach” lines he was throwing out. Tepper took away full control from him, that’s pretty obvious now. 

Man, I hope that's the case!  Rhule needs to really concentrate on making the team better on the field.  Let Fitts do his job.

I agree 100% that this was to get the fans back in seat.  Getting butts in seats, buying soda, beer, programs, whatever is a LOT of revenue. 

It also doesn't hurt that every QB decision Rhule has helmed as backfired spectacularly...  Cut Cam, Sign Bridgewater to $31 million guaranteed, then trade after a season, trade for Sam, not sign a vet backup...

Just a bunch of piss poor decisions.  I have no idea what Cam has left, but it was about the best move the team could have made.  If it upsets rule, he's got $70million to cry into.  Tepper showed he gives zero fugs about spending cash to improve the team.

Speaking the Boss man, I think back to the 88/58 retirement, when Tep made it a point tell them that they would bring Cam home when the time was right, or something a long those lines.  Guess it's that time.

• Pie 1

46 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

we sucked and the fanbase was bleeding. great combination of financial/football decision. also intangible legacy move 

This decision is all upside tbh. Even if Cam doesn't perform here, most fans won't blame the team for trying.

Cam is the best option we have at QB. He also fits the new identity we are trying to emphasize perfectly. 

• Pie 1