• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Great Pickett Poll

davos

Do You Want Pickett as our franchise QB? Added Q: Regardless— would Corral and/or Willis be y/n?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Let’s get it on record. Pickett—yay or nay?

If Rhule consults the other coaching hires it should be a collective decision on who the Panthers draft. If the former head coaches look at film of the Panthers last year and agree that drafting  a quarterback is more important that building the line with the first pick then that’s what should be done. I personally feel it needs to be a franchise tackle, but that’s just me. 

• Pie 1

OK, I've made up my mind. If I were to take a chance on a QB at 6--just from looking, mind you--it would be Matt Corral. I am concerned about his size and bit of an injury history, but he's the only one I'm getting the it-factor vibes from. He may be too small to handle a full NFL season, especially the way he plays (which would have to be modified towards getting down and not taking hard hits), but I don't get an undercurrent of mediocrity or a backup vibe from Corral.

10 hours ago, Icege said:

No to all 3.

Take a shot on Aqeel Glass tho with a day 3 selection 👀

Yep. If you're going to gamble on a quarterback, don't waste a high pick on this class. At least address the OL first. This team isn't going to get any better trotting out crappy OL cast offs. You'd think someone would have learned that lesson by now. I actually do like Glass. I think he has potential.

• Beer 1

10 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

Trey Lance is a better prospect than Pickett. Nobody is trading the farm for Pickett or I’ll be shocked if they do.  I’d say willis and Trey are similar prospects except Trey is more prototype size at 6’4” 225lbs while Willis is 6 foot 220lbs. Both have accuracy issues but big arms and are mobile. Trey is more of a bruiser while Willis is more shifty. I don’t see anyone trading the farm for Willis because of his size. 

Everyone thought the 49ers made that trade for Mac Jones. I don’t think he was that much better of a prospect than Pickett.  As far as Willis and Lance, if Willis was the same size as Lance I think he would be the top QB in this class. Lance had one good year of CFB and the 49ers still gave up the farm for him. 

Like I said if a team falls in love with one of these QBs we should do what ever we can to get a trade done.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, L-TownCat said:

He’s not going to be good.  

That is all.

I wouldn't count on any of these guys being good to be honest.  I mean one could turn out to be an all pro somewhere if he's lucky enough to land on the right team. But I doubt teams in the bottom of the draft are looking for a qb, else they would not be drafting that late.

Personally I would go oline were it me calling the shots. But if I were I would have sent Rhule packing and let someone else make the call.

16 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I wouldn't count on any of these guys being good to be honest.  I mean one could turn out to be an all pro somewhere if he's lucky enough to land on the right team. But I doubt teams in the bottom of the draft are looking for a qb, else they would not be drafting that late.

Personally I would go oline were it me calling the shots. But if I were I would have sent Rhule packing and let someone else make the call.

Bucs and Steelers are looking.

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Bucs and Steelers are looking.

I considered them both to be possibilities to take a shot at one.  I think one of those teams go hard for Aaron Rodgers. Both will probably sign a veteran as they are more attractive landing spots.  All of them will be picked before the Panthers pick again so if they want one it's take him at 6. 

They also could do something stupid like trading future picks to jump back into the 1st somewhere to get their guy. That idea turns my stomach. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I considered them both to be possibilities to take a shot at one.  I think one of those teams go hard for Aaron Rodgers. Both will probably sign a veteran as they are more attractive landing spots.  All of them will be picked before the Panthers pick again so if they want one it's take him at 6. 

They also could do something stupid like trading future picks to jump back into the 1st somewhere to get their guy. That idea turns my stomach. 

I hope Rhule isn’t allowed to trade any future picks…

• Pie 1

Hate the poll. The choices are too absolute and lack any nuisance. Maybe that's by design, but it's way too early in the draft process for a hard yes or no answer. So my vote was to not vote at this point in time.

Right now, I'd say no to Pickett but that could change. I've never even seen him throw a football with my own eyes yet. But my gut feeling is he is mediocre at best and not worth the #6 pick. High second rounder I'd be more ok with.

I'd also say, if we MUST take a QB this draft, then yes Pickett.

17 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

Starting is your bar? Low bar. I've already posted the answer to your first question, and even included day 2 on another topic. I don't think you know, unless all you are looking at is 2021 starters (13%). (sample size of 1 outlier season)

8 of the NFL franchises have QBs beyond day 2 as their franchise leading QBs. You tossed out day 2 as well. So, you wanted to boost first round picks or you think there is no chance Aqeel Glass can go in the 3rd round? Only 18 franchises have QBs in the 1st round as their franchise leaders. Not very dominant.

If you knew more than 2021, you wouldn't have made this post. Doubt you would ever highlight an NFL season with 10 to 16 starters that were not selected on the first 2 days of the draft. You likely think these seasons never happened. 

Of the Panthers 11 QBs to lead the team, 5 of them have not been selected on the first 2 days of the draft.

On average, how many NFL starters during the SB era are outside the 3rd round for an NFL season? I've given you some hints. You could probably guess it with the facts I have just given you.

As for your second question, HBCU starting NFL QBs are rare. So, when scouts notice one and put them on the NFL draft radar, you better take notice. The last 3 all went to the SB. 2 of them won the SB. Since the opening up of the passing game in the late 70s, these have been the only 3 HBCU starting NFL QBs.

3 for 3 on SBs  is pretty good, right? Rare finds are hard to come by.

Do your research before you think you know. You're welcome.

Damn where to start here.  Yes, being a competent starter is my bar for a quarterback to be somewhat successful.  I mean poo we picked WG in the 3rd and that was a wasted pick.   And the reason I am saying day 3 starters is because well you know we dont have a day 2 pick.  So the next chance we would get in drafting someone would be round 4, day 3.  Hope that helps.

As far as HCBU qbs go there has been one in modern history and that was damn near 20 years ago.  The odds are absolutely astronomical as they are for getting a quality starter in the 4rth round then adding the HCBU aspect do it and it turns into an impossibility.  So in short I can say with 99.99% certainty that he we pick Glass in the 4rth its just a wasted pick.  

Its a new era in NFL the game is completely different then it was a decade ago.  More times then not you have to spend draft capital to get your qb and then that is still a crap shoot.  Trying to get your guy from round 3 or so on is a fools way to try and build your team.  The data simply back that up.  Can you get a SB type qb from round 2 on?  Sure, are the odds in your favor thats going to happen?  Hell no