• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers losing the fan base?

BurnNChinn

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Wouldn't say my life changed 180° last year, but I definitely had (and still have) real world priorities to deal with. I understand.

When it comes to sports, It's fun watching people who know what they're doing.

It's difficult watching people who don't.

I woke up one day, and my life would never be even similar again to the previous one...jarring at 40.

It's actually making this medicine much easier to swallow.  I'd really be frustrated if I still cared for the team.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I would add that if you're trying to tell somebody you're a better fan than they are for being loyal when the team sucks ass, all you're really communicating is that you have a higher tolerance for mediocrity than they do.

I don't believe there is a long term Panthers fan out there that doesn't have an unusually high tolerance for mediocrity in comparison to your run of the mill fan.

However, the David Tepper/Matt Rhule led Panthers can only aspire to someday reaching the lofty perch of mediocrity. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

45 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

I don't believe there is a long term Panthers fan out there that doesn't have an unusually high tolerance for mediocrity in comparison to your run of the mill fan.

However, the David Tepper/Matt Rhule led Panthers can only aspire to someday reaching the lofty perch of mediocrity. 

Preach GIF

• Pie 2

16 hours ago, Shocker said:

For everyone jumping ship…what exactly would you have done differently?

Which QB would you have signed instead of Darnold? 

Which OL would you have signed?

What would you do realistically to fix this? 

Keep in mind that the secondary was terrible before the Horn pick.  Had to be addressed. 

You get to hindsight this which they couldn’t do but go for it. 

Which QB would you have signed instead of Darnold? Minshew or Trubisky. Either would likely have netted us the same results or better based on previous starting experience and past performance and we wouldn't have had to give up nearly the haul to get either one of them. 

Which OL would you have signed?Drafted Slater at LT. Wanted him then. Thought we might could have dropped to 10 or 11 and still gotten him but I would have been perfectly fine at 8. Round 2 after the trade down, drafted Creed Humphrey instead of TMJ. Play him at G until he won the C job, which likely would have happened in TC. Grabbed Trey Smith instead of a friggin LS. He was definitely worth the risk as a comp 6th. In FA, definitely not signed Irving and Elfein on day 1 of FA, especially for the contracts they got. They were considered by most to be the end of FA signings, definitely not day 1. Starting lineup could have been Slater-LGFA/Smith-Humphrey-Smith/Brown-Moton. It would have easily been better than the poo show we had. 

What would you do realistically to fix this? When the owner has to tell you you have to hire a rockstar OC or you're going to be fired, it's beyond the point of fixing. This offseason, first thing would have been to fire Rhule and go find another HC that has actual NFL experience and let him assemble an actual staff. There are a few I liked, and we'll have to see how they work out eventually. I liked Bisiacca or Flores as potential candidates. Bisiacca for how he brought the team together in spite of what happened in LV, and I think Flores got a bad deal in Miami because he didn't like Tua and he wasn't quiet about it. BC needs to start at LT if we don't draft one. Elfein to C. Moton at RT. Brown at RG. Best available draft pick or FA we can afford without breaking the bank.

Keep in mind that the secondary was terrible before the Horn pick.  Had to be addressed. Defense gets easier when your offense isn't constantly going 3 and out, giving opposing offenses a short field, or handing out turnovers like Halloween candy. Our offensive line has been ignored and defense was taken with every pick the year before. LT is a much harder position to fill than CB. 

You get to hindsight this which they couldn’t do but go for it. 

This wasn't hindsight. This is what I and a lot of fans I talked offseason with were saying before we went into FA. There were 2 franchise LT available and we needed to get 1 of them and address the offensive line. The opportunity was there. We blew it. 

At this point though, since we are stuck with Rhule, decisions on personnel are going to Fitts and Morgan. It's either that or Rhule can walk. No more FA QBs for picks or big contracts and no drafting one at 6. He picked TB, it failed. He picked Sammy D. It failed. PJ Walker is not an NFL caliber backup. He's terrible, but there's that connection so. Rhule is not the guy I want picking my next franchise QB. LT in the draft if the top 3 aren't gone, trade back mid teens or 20s if they are, draft Penning or Linderbaum. Use the additional picks to take a C,T, or G in round 2/3 depending on what the trade netted. Make Rhule work with the decisions he made already. Don't blow cap space on what's already likely a lost season. Suffer through it and can him at the end of the year. Look for a real NFL coach with NFL experience and start over. 

And I'm not jumping ship as a Panther's fan. I have zero confidence in Rhule's ability to fix this because he's shown nothing to give me any. 

Edited by SmokinwithWilly
  • Flames 2

9 hours ago, stbugs said:

So wrong in every way.

On Robby, he was only one year into his two year deal at a good rate. Take it as a team cap win of a good deal. We didn’t and fuged it up. Also, every solution I’ve seen for Robby is we can release him with less dead cap after 2022. We’ll, that means he wasn’t a long term plan so why extend him? Also, have you seen the glut of good WRs coming out every draft? You don’t make Robby, who isn’t a top tier WR, expensive when there are good WRs all over the place on rookie deals. Heck, we drafted 2 WRs, one in the 2nd. At least wait a year and see if you need Robby.

Sam had been the shittiest QB in the league, don’t care about his age and draft position. The Jets were 100% taking Wilson and were 100% not picking up Sam’s 5th year. Their options were releasing him or trading him. Why not see how the draft, which is supposedly the best QB draft in years, goes and then if you don’t get your rookie offer the Jets a low ball. No one else was going after Sam let alone offering 3 picks, one of which being pick 38 now. We jumped all in on Sam before seeing how the draft went and we extended him for no reason. If you don’t pick up the 5th year, your worst case is he’s awesome and you have to pay an extra $6. Best case is you let him go for $0. Pick up the 5th year and worst case is he sucks and you are out $18M. Based on his career, the $18 lost money was very likely and the he played so good that he has to be franchised was like 1%. Guess what happened? Double whammy is the team sucked enough that all our picks we gave up were more valuable…for the Jets.

Robby and Sam were textbook overpays that didn’t work out and didn’t need to happen. We basically dumped $40M in the toilet.

What did I leave out? Reddick played awesome early and then like the rest we faded and were just an OK D. Who else really exceeded expectations? Gilmore barely played until he was finally ready which was when we were already out of the playoff hunt. Who else did we add that really helped the D after week 3?

I was eagerly waiting in this thread for @stbugs to finally show up with his mudder-fuggin’ BOOM stick!

charlton heston laughing GIF

22 hours ago, Shocker said:

Naw, just cleaning out the garbage.  Real fans stick out the rough times

1637434563310.gif.6d7f94b098f2e95b649cddf35da1f06d.gif

Shocker keep giving those "fans"  hell!!

Bunch of people forgot the 1-15 season, pickles at QB, year 1 among many other waaaaaaaaay worse seasons. I swear something is in the water/air for all this crybaby behavior by a good portion of "fans"..

• Beer 1