• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers are OUT of the Watson race

Zod

Considering the overall cost, I am personaly relieved the Panthers will not get Watson,something i have repeated since day one.

However Tepper, who has allowed one mistake after the other, may feel like this an all-in defeat

Missing out on Watson allows the Panthers to catch their breath, reevaluate and (hopefully for Panthers’ fans’ sake) move patiently.

The Panthers were blindly willing to pay whatever it cost for Watson. Three first-round draft picks, a few mid-round selections and a combination of Jeremy Chinn, Derrick Brown, Jaycee Horn or Brian Burns would have likely been dealt.

I just could not justify gutting the present team and mortaging the future on one player that is not a sure bet to lead the team to a Super Bowl presently and perhaps never.I believe in building a team the old fashioned way,step by step by step.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

5 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

Considering the overall cost, I am personaly relieved the Panthers will not get Watson,something i have repeated since day one.

However Tepper, who has allowed one mistake after the other, may feel like this an all-in defeat

Missing out on Watson allows the Panthers to catch their breath, reevaluate and (hopefully for Panthers’ fans’ sake) move patiently.

The Panthers were blindly willing to pay whatever it cost for Watson. Three first-round draft picks, a few mid-round selections and a combination of Jeremy Chinn, Derrick Brown, Jaycee Horn or Brian Burns would have likely been dealt.

I just could not justify gutting the present team and mortaging the future on one player that is not a sure bet to lead the team to a Super Bowl presently and perhaps never.I believe in building a team the old fashioned way,step by step by step.

Yeah, nothing like saving our draft picks, and defense players that allowed Kirk Cousins to torch them. For a Franchise QB that is going to drop kick us in the nuts for the foreseeable future. Yeah man. I'm so glad we kept all these pieces. SMH. 

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, TheWiz said:

Soothe your doubts knowing that we kept alot of our assets to build a better team. 

Calm your fears knowing that we have money to sign oline help. 

Matt Rhule's days are numbered. 

Get over it. Quickly. Deshaun owed us nothing.

Now go over to youtube and figure out which QB is best for us to draft at #6. 

Addition by subtraction. Always my favorite play. Although drafting a QB at #6 would not be my first choice, I trust Fitterer has a vision for the team. I'll bet he slept better last night than he has in awhile.

I was never on the Watson bandwagon. Character is as important to me as skills. Speaking of skills, maybe Watson is not the high prize QB everyone thinks. A 28-26 NFL record, even with the Texans he should've done better in 3+ years. And he sat out a year. A risk anyway you look at it, not worth what Houston wants for him. I'm glad we don't get to sell out our future.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no to Ryan as a Panther. No, no, no, no, no, no, no. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

It was never going to happen. It's no shocker. My son asked me last week, "Why would Watson go to the Panthers?" I could never give him an answer. And, honestly, unless we were the only ones, he'd have been a fool to choose us.

The Panthers were Watson's very last chance to get out of Huston.  Watson was only going to come here if no one else would take him.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

32 minutes ago, NCTHFL0567 said:

Yeah, nothing like saving our draft picks, and defense players that allowed Kirk Cousins to torch them. For a Franchise QB that is going to drop kick us in the nuts for the foreseeable future. Yeah man. I'm so glad we kept all these pieces. SMH. 

Who's he gonna throw to?

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

The Panthers were Watson's very last chance to get out of Huston.  Watson was only going to come here if no one else would take him.  

This - wouldn't come here last year, wanted Miami.  Didn't want to come here this year because he initially wanted New Orleans and things got better when Atlanta called and he can play the whole "coming home" narrative. 

Watson wants a "home" that has a more particular nightlife than Charlotte could offer - oh and the fact that maybe ownership and the head coach hadn't treated QBs like a turnstile at the fair.  (Yes, if he ends up in Atlanta Matt Ryan will know that feeling.)

I am more on the side of this situation where I didn't think the cost was worth the gain.  Mortgaging our future for an unknown return isn't always the best idea....ask the Vikings about it.

Would Watson have made us better?  Maybe offensively, not terribly sure about defensively since we'd be shipping out a couple of our best D players in return for him.  Does he get us to where we want to be as franchise?  Again, I don't think Watson on the Panthers gets us anything more than a playoff game or two if that.

I am glad that we retained our draft picks and our promising young guys.  Now's the time to refocus, move past this embarrassment, build our team up and things will work out like they should if the people who have been hired are allowed to do THEIR SPECIFIC JOBS (owner doesn't go after new shiny toy, head coach coordinates staff and allows his coordinators to work in their specialty areas, head coach learns not to put his foot in his mouth every press conference). 

Free agent signings this off season have been so much better than last season.  Maybe keep the kids occupied with shiny toys and legos and let Fitts and Morgan build this team like it should be.

(Worst move was releasing Morgan Fox - he was a bright spot on the team last year and I have to believe was let go just to make space for DW)

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, GRWatcher said:

This ☝🏼

Maybe all the kids should have been fired and a real coaching staff put into place. Then we could attract real NFL players. 

It is amazing how these other teams keep making the playoffs and when they dont win the superbowl they add more pieces.

When we went 15-1 our staff thought it was a good idea to begin stripping our team the next year instead of adding guys to get back to the super bowl. 

Edited by PootieNunu