Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

According to Scott.... QB competition between Matt and Sam


Recommended Posts

Before we feed Corral to the wolves, I actually want to see this OL in games.  Darnold has shown no improvement, but in all honesty, even if he had it would be hard to tell behind what we saw from the OL last year. 

I have hopes for the OL talent we have, provided the coaching staff plays the A-team in their best positions.  If they are even average as a group, then let the best QB play.  If not, we have an $18.5M tackling dummy for opposing defenses to chase.

Based on that and the fact Corral has never taken an NFL snap, much less actually read a defense or worked through progressions in the NFL, I think Darnold is the week 1 starter unless they bring in somebody else with NFL time under their belt. 

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Sir Purr said:

Spoiler:  Darnold is going to start

and for Rhule and Sam not to get boo'd out of BOA early.....you got to coddle Sam again.  Hide how bad he is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it's even close in camp, Corral should get the job and the chance to prove himself. Going to be growing pains, but I'd rather watch those than Darnold stink it up again. 

Give Corral a fair shake this year. 0% chance our FO isn't already salivating at next year's QB class. Let Corral prove whether or not he belongs. 

  • Pie 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure why this needs to be spelled out. Darnold’s making $19m. He’s the starting QB until Corral is clearly the better option. 

Competition starts when you draft a rookie in your starter’s contract year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

If it's even close in camp, Corral should get the job and the chance to prove himself. Going to be growing pains, but I'd rather watch those than Darnold stink it up again. 

Give Corral a fair shake this year. 0% chance our FO isn't already salivating at next year's QB class. Let Corral prove whether or not he belongs. 

Idk. A lot will change from now until next years draft. Howell and Corral were talked about as high 1st rounders, then when the draft comes they go in the 5th and 3rd rounds. 
 

I hear Bryce Young (undersized, elite supporting talent) and CJ Shroud (tiny bit bigger than Corral, elite supporting talent) names thrown around a lot, but how much better are they than Matt?

 

Hard to imagine Corral not putting up similar numbers at Bama or OSU. 
 

The 2023 class will most certainly be deeper and have more of a selection, but Corral seriously has elite traits, 3rd round be damned, and him not succeeding will be between the ears rather than from a lack of ability. 

  • Beer 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Idk. A lot will change from now until next years draft. Howell and Corral were talked about as high 1st rounders, then when the draft comes they go in the 5th and 3rd rounds. 
 

I hear Bryce Young (undersized, elite supporting talent) and CJ Shroud (tiny bit bigger than Corral, elite supporting talent) names thrown around a lot, but how much better are they than Matt?

 

Hard to imagine Corral not putting up similar numbers at Bama or OSU. 
 

The 2023 class will most certainly be deeper and have more of a selection, but Corral seriously has elite traits, 3rd round be damned, and him not succeeding will be between the ears rather than from a lack of ability. 

Fair or not, if Fields doesn't have a pretty good year, Stroud will have to fight that OSU quarterback stigma.

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CRA said:

and for Rhule and Sam not to get boo'd out of BOA early.....you got to coddle Sam again.  Hide how bad he is. 

I am convinced the reason why he barely played in the preseason last year was because they were hiding how bad he was. 

  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I am convinced the reason why he barely played in the preseason last year was because they were hiding how bad he was. 

I don't think it was that exactly. I think they didn't want other teams having film on the 4 plays that Sam could actually execute successfully. It did take the league 3 games after all for them to realize we kept running the same plays over and over again.

  • Pie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...