• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: Panthers staff not all on same page about acquiring Browns QB Baker Mayfield

16 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I wanna give Fields another year before declaring anything. He was in and out of the lineup with a shitty offense, he flashed at times and took some bumps that he'll probably correct. Yeah dumb comment but his coaching staff was also a mess

Even Peyton Manning had to adjust to the NFL.  I was just pointing out that as a rookie Mr. Fields thought he was about to take the league by storm because of preseason games.  But the preseason is not really NFL football for a QB.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

7 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

Even Peyton Manning had to adjust to the NFL.  I was just pointing out that as a rookie Mr. Fields thought he was about to take the league by storm because of preseason games.  But the preseason is not really NFL football for a QB.

Yup theres lots of things going into being a starting QB. I'm hoping Corral is already a little bit humbled from his first 2 years, injuries, and falling in the draft. McAdoo seems like a tough love kinda guy so the players might not like it, but he'll break em down and build them back up

I mean, y'all are clowning the OP (and admittedly he simply says dumb sh¡t sometimes), but I do think that regards to the Panthers part of this article, specifically, that she is doing a bit of speculating. The word "seems" should not be overlooked. Moreover, even if she's correct, just because there wasn't or isn't a meeting of the minds regarding Baker's worth as a QB doesn't mean there wasn't or isn't an organizational consensus about the amount that should or shouldn't be paid for him. For me, moving up to take Corral, and the amount of patience and discipline displayed before doing so, speaks louder than Cabot's speculation. The Panthers flipped the script on the Browns when they drafted Corral, so all the talk about what happened pre-Corral is interesting and all, but it sounds more akin to spilled milk than having any importance to whether or not we're willing to take on Most of Mayfield's salary post-Corral.

I don't believe that anyone on the Panthers is holding their breath for the Browns to cut Mayfield. But, what I will say is that Mayfield really hasn't even made it difficult for the Browns yet, and all this talk about them not releasing him sounds great in May, but will it sound the same in August?

It is easy to see why a lot on the Panthers Staff don't want Mayfield.  With Mayfield, the Panthers would get a repackaged Darnold with playoff experience.

Both quarterbacks NFL careers started in 2018.

While Darnold has never had a winning season, Mayfield only had one.

Every other year with the Browns, he’d only win six games each season.

He also has thrown more picks than Darnold.

• Pie 2

9 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah I do, and I'm worried he's going to be in even more of a panic mode this year since the seat is super hot. He fooled people in the OTA presser last week acting like he's calm and collected but he's gonna freak under pressure, much like Sam in practice vs real games

What happens when having a run game isn't enough? It will help but it won't allow us to dominate most of the teams on this year's schedule. I think you nailed it. He does not operate well outside of his comfort zone. IDC, thr sooner he is gone the better off the team is in the end.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, top dawg said:

I don't believe that anyone on the Panthers is holding their breath for the Browns to cut Mayfield. But, what I will say is that Mayfield really hasn't even made it difficult for the Browns yet, and all this talk about them not releasing him sounds great in May, but will it sound the same in August?

Cabot addressed that...

The Browns have no plans to cut Mayfield, even if he’s still on the roster at the start of training camp in July, a league source tells cleveland.com.

With Mayfield under contract for a fully-guaranteed $18.86 million, it makes no sense for the Browns to cut him and take the entire hit. They’ll subtract whatever he makes from his next team from that amount, but it wouldn’t make much of a dent.

The Browns would be better off hanging onto Mayfield and seeing if a team is willing to take a sizable chunk of that salary off their hands in the event of a QB injury before the trade deadline, or the realization that their starter isn’t cutting it.

• Beer 1

If we can jettison Darnold, I am definitely down for Mayfield. But, I don't think they would be willing to accept him in return.

Outside of that, they need to pay the bulk of his salary and accept a pretty low draft pick(nothing above a 5th). That's about what he is worth at the moment.

I don't have a problem with a one season gamble on a streaky QB.

13 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

If we can jettison Darnold, I am definitely down for Mayfield. But, I don't think they would be willing to accept him in return.

Outside of that, they need to pay the bulk of his salary and accept a pretty low draft pick(nothing above a 5th). That's about what he is worth at the moment.

I don't have a problem with a one season gamble on a streaky QB.

It sounds like some within the Panthers are okay with it too.