• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A bit of perspective (re Corral)

t96

9 minutes ago, top dawg said:

But if we were to judge last week, Darnold would start. 

No one will judge by last week, even at this point.  If the game was tomorrow, Baker would start.

Darnold and Baker auditioned for starter every time they stepped on the field over the last 4 years.

It's Bakers job to lose. Darnold would have to blow him out in camp, not squeak a few extra completions and a few fewer ints.  Its possible, but seems unlikely.     Baker would have to be impaired from his injuries to lose to Darnold. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

To be fair, Pickett sucks and the Steelers made a big mistake with that draft pick.

But anyone expecting Corral to play as a rookie was expecting too much. Everyone knew he likely was going to take a year or two to transition to the NFL and that's fine for a 3rd round QB.

It's clear to see that the analysts and draft community was right.. Every QB in this draft was considered a project and would need to sit a year or 2.. Pickett was the "most ready day 1" but even he isn't talented enough to beat out QB'S in past draft that were ranked better..

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

It's clear to see that the analysts and draft community was right.. Every QB in this draft was considered a project and would need to sit a year or 2.. Pickett was the "most ready day 1" but even he isn't talented enough to beat out QB'S in past draft that were ranked better..

Yeah, that's the big red flag here. Really the only leg up Pickett had on the rest was that he was deemed by most to be the most NFL ready and might be able to hit the field earlier. I don't think anyone would've argued he was the most talented. Yet, word is that he's struggling mightily in camp. Uh oh.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

I wouldn't exactly consider it "unreasonable." I see why others do. The circumstances are different, for sure, and they must be taken into account.

But, remember, Wilson was never seriously in the Heisman discussion, much less leading the race, at any time during any season. 

I think that Huddlers also overlook the fact that Corral suffered an injury right before the draft season began. The kid was on ice for the better part of the entire draft season. 

All that being said, I don't want him to start before he is absolutely ready. But I am a believer in his long term viability as an NFL starter, without hesitation or qualification. 

Dude....the Heisman trophy?

LOLwut?

Pickett won't crack the starting gig unless they force it. That guy had backup as his ceiling and the Steelers made a wasted pick IMO.

I don't know what Corral has or how much time he needs. I just want to see him sooner than later this year. Sam and PJ can just GTFO and the sooner the better. 

Folks, finding one example that defied the odds is an outlier, not a basis for a sound argument.  If you refuse to mention all of the third rounders that failed but promote the one or two that didn't, that is faulty logic--like buying lottery tickets as a retirement plan.

• Pie 3

Developing a QB is anything but a set science. Most QBs bust regardless if they play right away or ride the pine, and there are outliers in every scenario.

This article is a great reference. https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2021/9/30/22700483/rookie-quarterback-first-start-development-timeline

The biggest takeaway for me is if Matt isn’t good enough to beat out baker and Sam this season, he’s not going to be anything special.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, poundaway said:

No one will judge by last week, even at this point.  If the game was tomorrow, Baker would start.

Darnold and Baker auditioned for starter every time they stepped on the field over the last 4 years.

It's Bakers job to lose. Darnold would have to blow him out in camp, not squeak a few extra completions and a few fewer ints.  Its possible, but seems unlikely.     Baker would have to be impaired from his injuries to lose to Darnold.

The strange notion here of Sam Darnold winning the quarterback competition centers around one thing. The passage of time. It's been almost a year since people have had to watch Sam Darnold play quarterback in the regular season. Sounds to me like they need to go back and watch some "highlights" and refresh their memory.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, top dawg said:

I don't have expectations for Corral to start.

I'm not impressed by the fact that Corral was passed over. Hell, a bunch of QBs were passed over.

I also am not sure why so many Huddlers--including some smart ones like you--are so sure of Mayfield, or assume that he's a lock to beat Darnold. I say that to say that in my opinion it's more likely that the beginning pecking order is Darnold, Mayfield, then Corral (as essentially a redshirt).

I think anything can happen in camp but there’s a reason Smitty and TD rolled their eyes and laughed about it being a “competition.” It does seem Rhule is going to go with Baker to try to compete now and keep his job. If we were comfortable with Sam/Corral at all we wouldn’t have traded for Baker and kept being linked to Jimmy before that trade. We’ll see how it plays out but as of now I think it’s clear Baker is the favorite to start the season. I’m not sure of Baker at all personally, but I’m also not the one making the decision… I think there’s a chance Corral could outplay Baker in the next month and still be behind him. Also as much as Rhule will say otherwise I don’t think Sam has any chance to start the season, everyone saw enough from him last year.

• Pie 1

46 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Developing a QB is anything but a set science. Most QBs bust regardless if they play right away or ride the pine, and there are outliers in every scenario.

This article is a great reference. https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2021/9/30/22700483/rookie-quarterback-first-start-development-timeline

The biggest takeaway for me is if Matt isn’t good enough to beat out baker and Sam this season, he’s not going to be anything special.

I wouldn’t necessarily say that, for starters, Corral would have to truly be given a chance to compete. Up to this point he hasn’t received the same amount of reps or gotten the same run with the one’s that other two QB’s have gotten.

You said it yourself, QB development isn’t an exact science. However, in order for Corral to have a shot, he has to be given a chance.

Personally, I’m fine with sitting rookie QB’s if they are being put into a shitty situation. For starters, Darnold should never have started day one for the Jets. He had no protection, no receivers, and no running game. That’s just a recipe for disaster.

However, the Panthers offense looks like it could be set up for success this year… great RB group, stout WR corp, adequate TE’s, and a much improved OL. That seems like a situation that you could theoretically plug Corral into and not have to worry about breaking him.

But as I mentioned, he has to truly be given a chance. You can’t truly gauge a player on five reps; there’s only so much you can get from asking a guy to throw a ball into a trash can in the back of the end zone.

Personally, I think coaches need to be able to decipher what kind of situation they are putting their players in and if the situation isn’t detrimental to the players growth then give them a chance to compete.

In simple terms, three darts should score you more points than two, but if you purposely throw one of the three darts on the ground then what’s the point of even having three in the first place. Up to this point the staff has thrown Corral on the ground while letting Mayfield and Darnold battle it out.

I don’t have a dog in the QB fight and I want the player that performs the best in preseason to start… but I also want Mayfield, Darnold, and Corral to get an equal shot at the job… something that hasn’t happened to this point.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

To be fair, Pickett sucks and the Steelers made a big mistake with that draft pick.

But anyone expecting Corral to play as a rookie was expecting too much. Everyone knew he likely was going to take a year or two to transition to the NFL and that's fine for a 3rd round QB.

I don't expect him to play year one, but he should 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, that's the big red flag here. Really the only leg up Pickett had on the rest was that he was deemed by most to be the most NFL ready and might be able to hit the field earlier. I don't think anyone would've argued he was the most talented. Yet, word is that he's struggling mightily in camp. Uh oh.

Trubisky managed to pull off a career winning record and a has a better comp % than anyone on our roster.   He isn’t good.  But the Bears weren’t loaded around him and he didn’t fug it up the operations to thrill point they couldn’t win playing very traditional ball. 

Steelers probably got a better dude in front of their rookie than we do.