• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What are your thoughts on these helmet bubbles AKA Guardian Caps

TheBigKat

Not crazy about them and kinda feel this is the NFLs way of putting lipstick on player safety but whatever. Many times the concussion has nothing to do with impact but with velocity and sudden change in head position. 

Is this used in college or high school?

A5FE4D31-C993-4044-8ACF-56F4DE5DE7D9.jpeg

• Poo 6

35 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I think it’s mainly meant to lessen the effect of those small repeated helmet to helmet collisions by the O and D line. 

This 100%. Most long term TBI is caused by these much more frequent small impacts, rather than the big ones. Hence why linemen and linebackers have the highest rates of TBI since they hit someone on almost every play. 

• Pie 1

Hopefully it helps. It doesn't take a huge hit to cause severe brain damage. The right position of the body and your spine and neck can't bend to absorb impact, then that small hit amplifies dramatically. Think about the stick you use to toss a ball for your dog and how much more force you can generate from the same amount of effort. Same thing can happen with your head. Unfortunately I know to much about this from personal experience.

In theory I think they're great, however I do wonder if they will lead to more injuries once they're taken off.

Read an article the other day where one head coach (don't remember who) was concerned that the players will get into bad habits early in camp because they know they have that added protection there and thus end up using their helmet a little more than they should.

So when they come off, there is a potential of injury if you've built up some bad instinctive habits while going through camp with them on.

• Pie 1