• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Other NFL Games Thread

kungfoodude

We need to just reset this, as we are in a good position to finally get this right. I like Wilks as a man, but I don’t want him to be HC or even on the new staff. 

Rhule wanted Baker. Rhule just sucked as a coach. MacAdoo, sucks as a coach. I don’t trust Wilks to right this ship. Hell, I don’t even trust Fitterer. I wouldn’t be heartbroken if he was let go. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

7 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Which is why I still think we’ll regret not making the move. There may be a miraculous recovery but it sure seems like that was a last gasp effort by them and the team is feeling the talent drain with so little talent added in the draft. There’s a not so small chance that both of those 1sts might have netted players better than Burns. Add in a high 2nd this year and loads of money to spend on FAs. Worth the risk for a potential game changing fleece of a trade.

We'll have to wait and see. If we can't solve the coach and QB problem then pretty much none of the rest of the stuff matters.

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, stbugs said:

The Broncos are in the Texans area code. We aren’t that low. They are likely canning their coach soon as well.

They're bad teams that are playing poorly. We're the laughingstock because only now after we made our move are we showing in how bad of a state we really were. It's like grandma just died and you go to her house and discover she was a hoarder living in filth, and every room you go in realize how bad the situation was, and now you need a professional, chemical deep cleaning if you have any hope of salvaging the house. The death of the season was only the beginning of the indignity. 

• Poo 1

2 hours ago, 4Corners said:

McAdoo needs to be fired the minute after the season ends. It’s painfully obvious.  

McDaniels is a terrible, terrible head coach and even worse he seems to be a spoiled brat. Raiders made a big mistake  hiring him and are probably stuck with him since Davis is the poorest owner in the league. They need to hit the reset button. 

Tepper probably would have hired McDaniels if Rhule didn't take the job.  He was next on the interview list.

55 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Tepper probably would have hired McDaniels if Rhule didn't take the job.  He was next on the interview list.

Sounds about right. McDaniels is a positional coach and average OC at his best. The Belicheck coaching tree is awful and I don’t know why they continue to get hired. 

• Pie 2

12 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

It's not secret he had his best numbers in Cleveland rolling out of play action. He didn't even need a running game to do it tonight, Cam Akers doesn't scare anyone. We had the better O-line and RB group and still couldn't get a power run game/play action system going 

That gets us to the discussion of there being three types of coaches/philosphies. 

There are those like The Process who have no idea what they are doing, strategically (game planning) or tactically (play calling and adjustments).  There is no path to success for these knuckleheads.

Then there are those who have their philosophy/system and they expect their players to fit into it.  We don't know if they can or can't adapt, but we know they don't.  This is probably the majority of NFL coaches, and maybe the vast majority.  There are varying degrees of this, too.  Some are the defensive "shove it down their throats" guys (Rivera, Fox, most likely Wilks), some are the offensive geniuses who are so overcome with what they want to do that they will abandon something else that is working in favor of their preferred plan (and often lose games they were in control of in the process), and then there are college coaches (Kelly is a classic example), that simply have no idea how to do anything else or altered the roster to the point that they can't.

Finally, there are the guys who balance what they want to do against the talent they have and adjust accordingly.  That usually means putting what they want on the back burner in favor of what they think their talent can excel at or handle, and what their opponent will have trouble with.  Hoodie falls into this group, as the Pats have won using about every conceivable offensive and defensive game plan over the years, and changed them as their roster changed.  McDermott and McVay are on this list (McVay probably adapted them to a loss in the Super Bowl vs. the Pats, which happens).  Sirianni looks like he may be in this group. 

McAdoo is firmly entrenched in the second category.  The game plans and plays that were called with Mayfield here, right out of the chute, were directly contrary to what Mayfield had shown over four years he could do well.  I don't think he falls into the totally incompetent class, just inflexible.

I'm not saying Mayfield is the some hybrid of Elway and Marino, but he also was not as bad as our brilliant coaching made him look.  He's probably a mid-tier starter at best, and most likely bottom-third starter to good backup.  We made him look like a bottom-tier third string QB.

• Pie 2