• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Icky should be offensive rookie of the year

WarPanthers89

He should be in the conversation.  I don't think he should win it.

Neither of those statements change the fact that the guy looks like exactly what we needed.  This sort of trajectory and we could have our next Jordan Gross.  Having that position looking solid changes SO MUCH about our offseason.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

I don't see any. Pro bowls can gets a different 5th year option amount in the new CBA, but not as an alternative. Link 

3. First rounders selected to the Pro Bowl on the original ballot in any of their first three seasons will receive a fifth-year salary equal to the transition tag of the player’s fourth year.

4. First rounders selected to the Pro Bowl on the original ballot in more than one of their first three seasons will receive a fifth-year salary equal to the franchise tag of the player’s fourth year.

So no, it has no value other than recognition. Given that Pickett is the favorite to win this year odds wise (Link) I would raise the question if it has any value beyond a participation trophy at this point. Edit: some reason that site just updated and Pickett is now 7th in odds.

Thanks! I knew pro bowls played a role, but I’m surprised winning an award like ROY doesn’t. 

• Beer 1

27 minutes ago, BrianS said:

He should be in the conversation.  I don't think he should win it.

Neither of those statements change the fact that the guy looks like exactly what we needed.  This sort of trajectory and we could have our next Jordan Gross.  Having that position looking solid changes SO MUCH about our offseason.

Jordan Gross is a good comp, although I think Icky can be more dominant in the run game.  That's not a slight on Jordan Gross, just that Icky can be an elite LT in both pass protection & run blocking.  Gross was elite in pass protection and average to above average in run blocking (him and Travelle Wharton were great together).

The fact we can even make that comp is welcome news after floundering for almost a decade to replace Gross.

It's hard not to think what could have been with Cam & Luke had we been able to have even an adequate Oline for their careers here.  I feel like at least one SB win.  

Oh well, all we can do is look to the future, and for the first time in many, many years, the offensive line is becoming a strength and not a liability.

23 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Thanks! I knew pro bowls played a role, but I’m surprised winning an award like ROY doesn’t. 

Yeah it just changed in 2020.

IDK, the pro-bowl has fan engagement involved (maybe 2/3rds?) and the AP 50 person panel decides the individual awards. Maybe customer involvement gives it more credence then a faceless panel of 'experts' to the player's union? 

I don't pay attention to either anymore personally, just jaded from the NFL's marketing bs and not winning for so long. 

• Beer 1

23 minutes ago, NAS said:

saw something similar on twitter a couple of days ago...

first game of the season, rookie LT going against Myles Garret, former first overall pick, gave up 2 sacks.

second game of the season, gave up 1 sack.

And that was it.  Nothing since then.  The whole time his run blocking has been what was expected, and that was excellent.   Maybe it was our OL coach, maybe he just needed a couple of games to get the feel of the NFL, but either way, yes, we found a stud left tackle.  After all these years, we got one.

• Pie 5

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

If you compare him to the OL that were available, we did well.  Not to slight the others, but this guy is better, wants to be a Panther (grew up a fan) and will want to stay in Charlotte.  I see him here for 10-12 years.

From your lips to God’s ear…

• Pie 1