• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How good is Brian Burns 2022 campaign?

micnificent28

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Pass rushers are only game changers if you're a competitive team. Hell, this is true for pretty much every position outside of QB. QB is really the only position where one guy can significantly change what you are as a team.

Yeah, and it's not like Carolina has had many big moments to effect these past years. I can see it both ways. We were spoiled by having a decade of Julius Peppers.

14 hours ago, RJK said:

Yea it seems very arbitrary. I’ll die on the hill that burns is overrated by national media because of all the Spider-Man garbage so he’s marketable 🤷‍♂️ He’s good but there are better players with better stats ranked below him on that list. 

And I'll die on the hill that Burns is doing what he is doing without an offense and if you all saw him on a team with an actual offense keeping him rested and able to pin his ears back for 3rd and 4th quarters of games the same clowns proclaiming to trade him would be dead silent as he takes over the league on a good team while we have 3 Everette Brown's on the roster with 8 combined sacks.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

37 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Also, @MHS831 I meant to respond in another thread but I don’t think we’ll ever get a deal like that again for Burns. Rams were desperate and Bill O’Brien isn’t a HC/GM anymore.

With the coaching situation in question, it is hard to gauge, so it is a tough call.  I love a good fire sale, and accumulating assets is something we should be doing.  So I dunno.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, thunderraiden said:

And I'll die on the hill that Burns is doing what he is doing without an offense and if you all saw him on a team with an actual offense keeping him rested and able to pin his ears back for 3rd and 4th quarters of games the same clowns proclaiming to trade him would be dead silent as he takes over the league on a good team while we have 3 Everette Brown's on the roster with 8 combined sacks.

Holy run on sentence Batman 

Burns is not elite not sure what you people are watching on Sundays. He's capable of having a few good games a year but largely disappears through a good chunk of games. He's also a liability in the run game. 

How can you be considered elite at your position but are only good at part of your responsibility as a 4-3 DE? That makes no sense. Should have traded him. Handing him a monster deal is going to be a huge mistake

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, stbugs said:

So he’d be great if we had a great offense that got us ahead so he only had to pass rush in the second half and got plenty of rest? That’s not how you describe a game changing player.

I think Burns is a very solid player and a great pass rusher, but I still think that we should have made the trade. 2023 we have a rookie QB and new head coach and we’ll sign Burns to a mega deal. We realistically won’t be challenging for a SB until 2024 at the earliest and that making a huge assumption that we pick the correct QB (might not get in 2023) and coach and develop that QB quickly. By that time that early 2nd this year and good 2024 1st will be on the team with the good 2025 1st right behind. I think those Rams picks will be really good picks. Heck our 2023 and 2024 1sts will likely be good too.

I just think by the time we are really ready to dominate that the Burns $30M a year cap savings (2 solid FA starters a year like Corbett and Gilmore/Reddick) and 5 1st rounders and 5 2nd rounders in 2023-2025 would have made us a potential juggernaut in the NFC South for years.

Also, @MHS831 I meant to respond in another thread but I don’t think we’ll ever get a deal like that again for Burns. Rams were desperate and Bill O’Brien isn’t a HC/GM anymore.

The timing is a huge part. We aren't going to be a serious playoff caliber team in 2 years, maybe 3. That will put Burns in year 4 of his contract before we could realistically expect a playoff run, maybe year 5. By that point we're either extending him, trading him, or he could be out of the league due to injury. I think Burns is a very good player, not elite (yet), but those picks plus salary could have the potential to take us further than Burns can alone. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

The timing is a huge part. We aren't going to be a serious playoff caliber team in 2 years, maybe 3. That will put Burns in year 4 of his contract before we could realistically expect a playoff run, maybe year 5. By that point we're either extending him, trading him, or he could be out of the league due to injury. I think Burns is a very good player, not elite (yet), but those picks plus salary could have the potential to take us further than Burns can alone. 

Lol we are a coach and QB away from competing my dude. No way it takes 5 seasons to build a team. In 3 years he will only be 27 😂

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Lol we are a coach and QB away from competing my dude. No way it takes 5 seasons to build a team. In 3 years he will only be 27 😂

Good thing those 2 things are really easy to get. Playoff caliber QBs are so easy to get that every NFL team has one. 

We're more than those 2 things away from seriously competing. We also need a WR1, help in our LB core, secondary, OC, DC, TE not to mention the players we will inevitably lose to FA. 

Edited by SmokinwithWilly

22 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

I don't think he's a defensive end. hes a 3-4 edge. Beyond that hes an elite athlete and can play in space and coverage. we have seen him take picks to the house and so on. Other than being suspect in the run game i have 0 complaints about him. and hes super young. Core guy potentially a HOF talent.

The problem with that is we run a 4-3 and he's asked to be a DE. Even Jacks in the 3-4 have to be good at the run. Either way he's a elite pass rusher and that's where he's going to get paid. 

• Pie 1