• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wilks Credit?

CPcavedweller

2 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

It was a dumpster fire with some really good talent on the team. We have good players outside of QB, and having such a good OL is the only reason Wilks is able to do decently like he has.  Many coaches could have come in and gone .500 with the talent on this team, imo 

Baker showed that QB isn't our issue. He went in with 20 snaps in practice and had his best game of the year for the Rams. That's a system and talent issue. We don't have tight ends which shuts everything else in the passing game down.

Furthermore, defense still wins championships. Look at the past few Super Bowl winners.

3 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

I know we share a lot of the same takes but Wilks looks more competent than Rivera. Ron would have been canned early in his tenure here if he didn’t have Luke and Cam to run into the ground . 

Yea I’ll allow for the possibility he’s a tiny bit better than Rivera, but I don’t want anyone remotely close to that. I’d rather take another wild swing and miss and try again in three years than 9 years of Rivera ball, especially since we’re not likely to luck into another Cam + Luke and some of the other greats we had that dragged that inept coach to a respectable record occasionally

• Poo 1

Yeah just because he's not a completely incompetent fug like Rhule and is smart enough to know if you don't have a quarterback you tell your oline to get nasty and ram it down the other teams throat doesn't mean I want him here next year unless we run the ball all the way to the super bowl

24 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Can people give Wilks some credit now? All I've seen here is a laundry list of things he hasn't managed to do. Let's look at what has happened.

4-3 record after stepping in during a 1-4 start, playing three different QB's letting go of what seemed like half your position coaches and replacing a coordinator, all while having, perceptively, the worst tight end group and lower tier pass blocking offensive line in the league.

The Seahawks were playing well and relatively heavy favorites at 4 points (pretty decent spread in the NFL) in this game yet the Panthers man handled them. 

Give credit where credit is due. This man may not be here next season but he has done better than anyone expected him to be able to do.

He’s done well.  Sometimes the bird in the hand is worth two in the bush…

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

out of pie but this is definitely my opinion. I don't know what Wilks would do with a competent OC and QB, but the reality is that competent OCs get picked up for HCs.  However, I will say that if Wilks keeps winning and gets us into the playoffs I think you have to bring him back.

I'm not even a fan of Wilks, but you would absolutely have to give him the job if he took this team to the Playoffs. 

I'm doubt it's the right call long-term, but the optics would be horrendous if you didn't.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, CPcavedweller said:

Baker showed that QB isn't our issue. He went in with 20 snaps in practice and had his best game of the year for the Rams. That's a system and talent issue. We don't have tight ends which shuts everything else in the passing game down.

Furthermore, defense still wins championships. Look at the past few Super Bowl winners.

I think Baker just fit in really well to how  McVay does things. They actually had the advantage because McVay is the one who tells the QB where to go with the ball on any given coverage. The Raiders had no time to prepare for it. 

They also got really lucky because the refs gave them two major bullshit flags to carry them that last drive. I suspect Baker comes back down to Earth next week. If he doesn’t good for him though. He was a good teammate.

5 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

What talent are you talking about on the Rams offense Thursday night?? His TE was Higbee who has 2 receptions on his 3 targets for 11 yards…