• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Florio eviserates Tepper for saying Steve Wilks has to be "incredible" with what Florio calls a "sh*t" team

thunderraiden

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/nfl-week-14-superlatives-put-some-respect-steve-wilks-name

Makes you ask yourself.. Wait, how "incredible" is Steve Wilks performing right now? I'll admit I was thinking he has just been good, but upon introspection... holy poo he really is doing an incredible job already. We need a QB, TE, LB, Safety, and WR and still performing exceptional.

I can agree with criticizing Tepper for saying Wilks needed to do "an incredible job" though I can somewhat understand it in context.

I disagree with characterizing what we have now as a "sh-t team".

Sh-t quarterback situation? Maybe. Sh-t team overall? Definitely not.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 6
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I can agree with criticizing Tepper for saying Wilks needed to do "an incredible job" though I can somewhat understand it in context.

I disagree with characterizing what we have now as a "sh-t team".

Sh-t quarterback situation? Maybe. Sh-t team overall? Definitely not.

We had a pretty good team with a sh-t coach. Now we have a pretty good team with a pretty good coach. I know that Tepper specifically said that he wanted a young, offensive and Wilkes is an old, defensive coach, but, IMO, it should be Wilkes' job to lose.

• Beer 2

Given the overall context of his circumstances - Rhule's performance, QB situation, etc. - I'd say that he has done an 'incredible' job. Granted, that term, like virtually all others, has room for interpretation, but I don't see an argument against Wilks, if we're just considering the very apparent changes to team chemistry and performance, again, given what preceded his placement into the role.

I'd be negotiating a long-term deal as soon as possible if I were in Tepper's shoes.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

Given the overall context of his circumstances - Rhule's performance, QB situation, etc. - I'd say that he has done an 'incredible' job. Granted, that term, like virtually all others, has room for interpretation, but I don't see an argument against Wilks, if we're just considering the very apparent changes to team chemistry and performance, again, given what preceded his placement into the role.

I'd be negotiating a long-term deal as soon as possible if I were in Tepper's shoes.

This has been an incredible turn around. Context is everything. Despite being in the terrible division that we are in, it wasn't a question whether or not we were one of the worst, if not the worst team in the league when Rhule was fired. Not only did we have a terrible record, the team had major issues in most areas, except maybe special teams, which is baffling in itself.

Since Wilks stepped in, the whole philosophy turned around. Players are being asked to play within their skill sets, we're leaning into our strengths and not trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Time management has improved. It no longer feels like we're beating ourselves.

I can't think of one area that hasn't improved significantly since he stepped in.

There is still a lot that can happen in the next month, so I wouldn't negotiate that contract yet. But as of today, it's his job to lose without a doubt.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Florio is a douche, and just because I hate Tepper too doesn't mean I am going to agree with him on this. Wilks has done fine, but this roster is much better than most people think outside of QB and it's not like we're rolling over good teams... I like Wilks but he ain't the guy long term.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

So odd with Florio critizing Tepper..... but it was Tepper who went out and hired Wilks for this exact purpose... why doesnt he get credit for that?

I guess Florio thinks Wilks just appeared magically in the building

I strongly dislike false information.  Please don't post false information as if it's the gospel.  

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1