• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marc Ryan: Wilks Unlikely To Be Next HC. Tepper has Affinity for Demeco Ryans.

Proudiddy

Ryan’s would be a decent choice and maybe he can pry away some of the offensive coaching talent from the 49ers. Gresie is their QB coach, who has worked a miracle with Purdy, and Anthony Lynn is currently their OC. Lots of possibilities. I’d prefer the Lions or Eagles OC however. But, I’d also be down with any bright offensive mind from the McVay and/or Shannahan tree.

I'd be cautiously optimistic about Ryans.  I know nothing about him as a coach, but just because he's a DC doesn't mean he's conservative.  If anything his age would imply more that he's not than his title would imply that he is.  I'd prefer an OC for the simple reason it's harder to keep a good OC than it is a good DC, so if Ryans picks really good OCs then we'll be constantly looking for replacements, but if he's a good HC then it'll work out.  What I know that I don't want is Wilks, Quinn or any of these other older DCs who have proven to be behind the times.  Wilks might be one step forward from Rhule, but that's still three steps behind most of the rest of the league.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I think the fans concern themselves too much with the coach being defensive or offensive.  If you look at the most recent SB winners, its fairly well balanced between offensive and defensive coaches.  I mean Gary Kubiak was a offensive coach who won a SB with a great defense.    Mcvay is an offensive coach who won a Super Bowl because his defense shut out the Bengals in the fourth qtr.  Sean Peyton was a offensive guru who only appeared in/won a single Super Bowl despite having one of the best qb's of all time.  Bill Belichick was a defensive guy who won 6 superbowls with one of the greatest qb's of all time.  

I just want a good one, don't really care which side of the ball that coach came up on.  

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

14 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I think the fans concern themselves too much with the coach being defensive or offensive.  If you look at the most recent SB winners, its fairly well balanced between offensive and defensive coaches.  I mean Gary Kubiak was a offensive coach who won a SB with a great defense.    Mcvay is an offensive coach who won a Super Bowl because his defense shut out the Bengals in the fourth qtr.  Sean Peyton was a offensive guru who only appeared in/won a single Super Bowl despite having one of the best qb's of all time.  Bill Belichick was a defensive guy who won 6 superbowls with one of the greatest qb's of all time.  

I just want a good one, don't really care which side of the ball that coach came up on.  

Back when he was coaching the Ravens and Tony Dungy was coaching Peyton in Indy, Brian Billick joked that the football gods had a weird sense of humor to give him the Ravens defense and Dungy the Colts offense.

• Pie 1

So first it was Tepper wanting a experience HC (ie Reich, Peyton, Quinn), then it was him wanting an offensive guru (Johnson, Steichen) and now he wants a young gun DC to take the helm...

I will be so happy when the off-season gets here so we can put an end to this nonsense rumor crap. I will believe it when they actually interview twice. 

• Pie 1