• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reich New Head Coach

NJPanthers12

2 hours ago, Captain Morgan said:

Joe Person
@josephperson
·
1m
Panthers announce they have hired Frank Reich, who took the first snap in team history.
The former Colts coach becomes the first head coach in Panthers' history with a strictly offensive background.

I was there in Atlanta. AWESOME first game. We lost in overtime and there NFL world knew they'd given us too much talent to start a team.  Frank did well.   There were more Panther fans in Atlanta then falcons

Wishing him our best to bring us out of this 5 year debacle 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, SameDamnThing said:

Wilks needs to slow down with the racism stuff through his representation. they named an interim they thought would have zero chance of being in the conversation once the actual coaching search started, but he took a team with .500 talent to a .500 record and apparently that should have made him the slam dunk choice regardless of what our intent was when we released Rhule. It was great that the team showed a pulse after Rhule was fired, but is that more an indictment of how much they had tuned out Rhule or an endorsement of Wilks? We remember Week 17 and how anemic the offense was. That was 11 weeks into his interim tag. I can't stress enough that the interim tag was a nod of respect to Wilks, but in no way intended to give him the impression he was the leading candidate on a staff they wanted to entirely eliminate prior to the next season. They awarded him a platform to help find him his next job and that's exactly what happened. No racism. They just already decided what direction they were going with an offensive head coach and Wilks didn't fit the bill and his previous head coaching experience went awful. 

Playing the race card here is really fuging stupid for Wilks. He should have told his lawyers to keep this poo to themselves. 

Not hiring Wilks as the HC has nothing to do with him being a black man, it has everything to do with him not being HC material in the NFL. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Im glad, we dont need Wilks as our DC, he is not good in that role. Maybe if he wants to stay as DB coach or something, but I would pass altogether. 

Yeah Wilks has everything except the actual being good at defense thing down. We gotta rank towards the highest of secondaries to get burned deep despite playing deep zone all the time. Maybe someone will finally use Chinn the right way as well

• Pie 1

Frank Reich is a good hire. He faced adversity with the QB position after Andrew Luck did the dirty by retiring on the eve of preseason week 1. Their future looked bright before that juncture and after that it was stop gaps and some reclamation projects. Hopefully Reich gets a better deal here by getting a long term QB to work with. 

As for Wilks, I feel for the guy. He did a good job turning this team around as the interim head coach. However, did the ownership and front office believe he could put together the offensive staff to support and develop our next franchise QB? If they did, they would have hired him. They didn’t. So that suggests to me they felt Reich would be better suited to that role. 

I see racism has come up again. I don’t think race played a part here. Most interim head coaches don’t get made permanent. The last ones made permanent were Doug Marrone (Jacksonville, took over from Gus Bradley) and Mike Mularkey (Tennessee, took over from Ken Whisenhunt), and aart from one AFC championship game for Marrone, neither had long term success. So was us not hiring Wilks a surprise? Not really. The same probably would have happened for a different interim head coach from the staff.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

I hope it works out but I like that we can go get the best guys now. Fingers crossed it works. QB is still the biggest thing we need, although picking the right OC/DC is very important as well.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we went after Gus Bradley to coach the defense if he’s not retained in Indy. 

2 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah Wilks has everything except the actual being good at defense thing down. We gotta rank towards the highest of secondaries to get burned deep despite playing deep zone all the time. Maybe someone will finally use Chinn the right way as well

Exactly. Cant be a defensive minded HC when your defenses keep sucking. He blew his chance against Tampa. If he had won that game, he would be our HC.  With playoffs on the line, his defense sucked and he was also part of the reason why we lost.