• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nebraska Football: Carolina Panthers fans still think Matt Rhule was ‘the problem’

TheCasillas

Teams are always looking for potential. Can you make a bad program mediocre? Can you make a mediocre team good for a year or two? If you can, you are football’s next rising head coaching star. It always cracks me up a little when people talk about someone “turning a program around,” with players they inherited. I think Rhule has a good line of BS that got him some recruits and about $70 million from Tepper, but for a coach that never coached a program better than Baylor, we were entirely out of pocket to give him the keys. The length and cost of the commitment was too much from Day 1. You’re not negotiating with Sean Payton. Allowing him to be HC, GM, and head scout enough to allow his wife to make draft picks was a recipe for disaster right away and we didn’t want to believe it. 

Its not like he was bad in those other areas but still a great game day coach, it was the opposite. He was overwhelmed by the stage and regularly played to steal wins instead of win decisively. Stopping what’s working to burn clock the entire second half and 3 and out a full quarter off the clock only to need a drive to win the game when your hot hands have gone cold. It was embarrassing and a total lack of faith that his team saw for what it was. On top of that, he would lament his situation and take no blame for the loss like his players didn’t follow the recipe. Never once questioned the recipe. 

Temple and Baylor. Those two powerhouse programs are all the evidence we have that he was worth a damn. Temple from the Big East moved to the AACF for lack of competitive consistency into a league full of perineal losers and Baylor who for all but fits and starts have been in the bottom half of the Big 12 for decades sans Chad Pennington and RG3. We got what we deserved and Nebraska will get the same. Only now he has $70 million reasons to think he’s Vince Lombardi. Miss me with how that turns out for them. 

This article reads like cope from someone who’s recently bought the “used car”. He’s also deliberately missing the point of the criticisms Panthers fans have made. Honestly I don’t really give a shite about how Rhule does as Nebraska. I’m not a Nebraska fan, nor am I a fan of a Big 10 school. I’m just glad he’s not in Charlotte anymore.

• Pie 1

They’re 100% right. Tepper is and has been this franchise’s biggest problem.  While it appears that may be turning a corner, fact is we still don’t know.

Rhule is a college coach. He could very well, even likely, have success at Nebraska. He’s mean to teach children, not men. And Tepper saw that differently. So much so he gave him full control and an asinine contact. But Rhule was the problem?

Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 1