• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A little Steve Wilks news

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Damn.  I just found out from the Jamison waiver claim that he is the DC for the 49ers.  Completely missed that one. 

Wilkes and Shanahan is a formidable duo.  

So glad he found a great spot. He will get a chance at HC soon.  

He’s been pretty ordinary as a DC that roster will carry him though 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Icege said:

Anybody with half of a brain cell could tell that the situation in Arizona was fuged for Wilks from the beginning. Hard to hold his time there against him. His time here last season, if anything, is a much more accurate representation of what he can accomplish.

Granted, that vision might be a bit dated given the offense. But Hell, if Rivera can be x2 COTY then Wilks could at least put together a competent 3 - 5 year stretch as a head coach somewhere.

Wasn't he force to go with Rosen at QB?  His situation was terrible and IMO he was fired only so they could hire Kingsbury the next super coach. LOL

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

He will get a chance at HC soon.  

I like him, but I'd honestly be surprised. Two biggest things he's got going against him....his age and he's on the wrong side of the ball. To be a defensive coach making the leap to HC, you're going to have to be more of a dynamic presence. Demeco Ryans is going to become the standard.

anyways I think it's likely the next defensive coach to get a HC gig will be Evero. I think eithh

Also, with Wilks getting involved in that lawsuit plus having a role in this AZ thing is just going to make teams not lean towards him. There's other good candidates without that baggage.

2 hours ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Damn.  I just found out from the Jamison waiver claim that he is the DC for the 49ers.  Completely missed that one. 

Wilkes and Shanahan is a formidable duo.  

So glad he found a great spot. He will get a chance at HC soon.  

Maybe. But I wouldn’t be surprised if teams stay away from him. 

29 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I like him, but I'd honestly be surprised. Two biggest things he's got going against him....his age and he's on the wrong side of the ball. To be a defensive coach making the leap to HC, you're going to have to be more of a dynamic presence. Demeco Ryans is going to become the standard.

anyways I think it's likely the next defensive coach to get a HC gig will be Evero. I think eithh

Also, with Wilks getting involved in that lawsuit plus having a role in this AZ thing is just going to make teams not lean towards him. There's other good candidates without that baggage.

Agreed that the lawsuit isn't doing him any favors.

I wouldn't have a problem with Wilks being a head coach for this team.  However, it would have been imperative that the OWNER/GM hire a good offensive coordinator.  I don't think there are many head coaches that do both.  Billicheat is one of the few that do well with both sides of the ball. Of course, it didn't hurt him that he had a HOF QB for 20 years. 

If Wilks wasn't stuck with McAdoo as an OC he might have fared much better. 

Wilks really did get shafted out in AZ, and I was happy to have him as interim HC for us last year. It was nice having an adult at the helm again.

Having said all that, the track record of retaining Interim HCs in the NFL is not good, and after all was said and done, we were still only 3 years removed from his mentor/friend Ron Rivera. Keeping Wilks would have just felt like going backwards to "the good ol' days" of Rivera, and I didn't want that.

Plus I really don't think he could have put together a coaching staff like the one we have assembled here. I'd rather have Evero than Holcomb as my DC. I'd rather have Thomas Brown as my OC than whoever he would have chosen since Brian Johnson got promoted in Philly. We also have a wealth of knowledge by being able to bring in Dom Capers and Jim Caldwell due to Reich and Evero's relationships with them.

Then there's being able to bring Duce Staley as RB coach, McCown as QB Coach, the staff, on paper at least, is top notch and not something I think Wilks could have put together.

I understand why a lot of people wanted Wilks to stay coach, nostalgia and all, but I didn't want to start dating my ex gf's younger sister just because it felt comfortable.

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, 4Corners said:

Yep. IOC and FIFA corrupt as hell. 

im convinced most NFL owners are probably guilty of something if the government “really” wanted to investigate them. 

NCAA is one of the worst organizations in the world. College sports full of garbage and plenty of reasons to not like college athletics. 

NBA officials are the only reputable bunch in any professional sports setting

/s

8 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Wasn't he force to go with Rosen at QB?  His situation was terrible and IMO he was fired only so they could hire Kingsbury the next super coach. LOL

He claimed to have wanted to trade up for Allen but GM/owner overrode him. The Bills traded two 2nds to jump from #12 to #7 to select Allen. Arizona took Rosen at #10.

Given his time with Cam, I don't doubt that Wilks saw a QB he could lean the entire offense on while building the defense in Allen.

14 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

It's amazing people think Wilks is not HC material when he had the players backing him and put life back into this franchise when he took over.

1 failed opportunity with the Cardinals means he should never get another opportunity.

Meanwhile we hired a losing coach who was fired. Nobody said Frank didn't deserve the job.

Never change Huddle.

Yeah. He failed at his first opportunity, many do. He seemed improved in his second opportunity (albeit as interim), which is what you want. Unfortunately, he probably won’t get another shot, after pursuing this lawsuit but he likely knew that when he decided to pursue it.