• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Big fan of Burns but...

NAS

Even before the Rams trade offer, it was inevitable that decision day was going to come on whether to pay Burns a lot of money or move on.  All the Rams trade offer did was accelerate when D-Day happened.

I've tried to stay out of the discussion about whether he is worth the money or not, because the Panthers made that decision when they turned down the trade offer.  His asking price could be absurd, but otherwise, you can't tell the Rams no and indicate he is a critical piece of the defense (as evidenced by the offer that was turned down), switch schemes to something that everybody has said would be his ideal fit, and then later say he isn't so critical without anything else changing.

I'm all for taking the time to get a glimpse of what we think we know about him as an OLB/Edge in a 3-4, but assuming he doesn't blow chunks, this was always the inevitable outcome.  And if the front office did not see the link when they turned down the Rams' offer, then they are morons.

I don't particularly appreciate Burns speaking of being all-in for the season and then doing a 180.  But, if he shows up tomorrow when the team starts to prepare for Sunday and is out on the field when the game starts, that didn't happen.  He's not some rookie thinking he doesn't need all the prep time he can get.  By now he knows what it takes to be ready on a Sunday.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

But also I show up for your brothers and team 

In my opinion he did show up throughout training camp etc. leading the team. Frank even alluded to how important Burns practice habits and leadership were for the rest of the team. I think Burns feel a bit let down by not having a new contract by now and a holdout seems to be the only option left. So I don’t blame him a bit.  But we also can’t be without him this weekend. Hopefully this will get done tomorrow.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Even before the Rams trade offer, it was inevitable that decision day was going to come on whether to pay Burns a lot of money or move on.  All the Rams trade offer did was accelerate when D-Day happened.

I've tried to stay out of the discussion about whether he is worth the money or not, because the Panthers made that decision when they turned down the trade offer.  His asking price could be absurd, but otherwise, you can't tell the Rams no and indicate he is a critical piece of the defense (as evidenced by the offer that was turned down), switch schemes to something that everybody has said would be his ideal fit, and then later say he isn't so critical without anything else changing.

I'm all for taking the time to get a glimpse of what we think we know about him as an OLB/Edge in a 3-4, but assuming he doesn't blow chunks, this was always the inevitable outcome.  And if the front office did not see the link when they turned down the Rams' offer, then they are morons.

I don't particularly appreciate Burns speaking of being all-in for the season and then doing a 180.  But, if he shows up tomorrow when the team starts to prepare for Sunday and is out on the field when the game starts, that didn't happen.  He's not some rookie thinking he doesn't need all the prep time he can get.  By now he knows what it takes to be ready on a Sunday.

Spot on

• Beer 2

I said it at the time the proposed trade didn't happen for all those assets that we wrote Burns a blank check by telling him we valued him at this impossible compensation package. they gave him the power to write his own deal at that point. I don't know how you can reject a package of that size and then balk at paying when it comes time to do so. You valued the man like a Top 10 player in the game based on what you turned down for him, which was a massive mistake. But now that you've done it, you can't walk away from it or look for a worse package now. It makes you look stupid. 

Today's players don't mind losing a paycheck for a couple of weeks.  They don't want to go out there and get injured which will lower their value. 

Sitting out increases the pressure on the FO and ownership, especially if the defense doesn't perform well.

As everyone has alluded to, turning down that Rams trade gave Burns all the leverage.  I don't believe he'll play, it's too risky for him.  He wants that new contract and the guaranteed $$ that comes with it.

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Reddick didn't want to be here. He was questioning the lock room while he was here. You forget just how bad the culture was with Rhule.

He said publicly that we wanted to move in a different direction. I believe it was during the interviews during the Super Bowl. 

Two sides to every story, but what he said indicated that at the very least, it wasn’t just his camp making that decision. 

• Pie 2