• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some positive and critical thoughts on yesterdays game

Saca312

1 hour ago, Saca312 said:

The Panthers playcalling was very limited resultingly in regards to the pass game because of the WRs bad ability to separate.

The trick about separation is that it's twofold.  You need to stretch a defense in order to create separation.  When you allow the opponent to stack the first 20 yards, separation becomes REALLY REALLY HARD.

When you have a field stretcher, you are immediately taking two guys out of the first 20 yards of field.  Go watch the Dolphins game to see what I mean.  The Chargers safeties are sometimes 20 yards back from the line of scrimmage at the snap.  Let alone as the patterns develop.

Makes it a ton easier to scheme open the short and intermediate stuff.

• Pie 1

I was very impressed with yesterdays game. Young may be holding the ball too long waiting for things to develop, is my only gripe. Make no mistake, this game was lost on the double penalty BS, at the 1 yard line. The turnovers will get corrected. Next year, and the 3rd year will be exciting.

Edited by philit99
  • Pie 3

I agree with most but to clarify - the pass rush (and backfield cover for that matter) means nothing if you can’t stop the run and the screens. It’s a one dimensional defense that simply is not going to work. At all.

The numbers were a bit off since the screens didn’t count as rush yards, though I feel they kind of are but the Panthers are absolutely atrocious at stopping yards from the LOS or behind. I don’t know exact numbers but you can’t give up 200+ yards from those plays.

That along with stretching the field is what’s going to hurt this team the most.

Also Burns shows why he is not on Bosa level for three reasons. He won’t catch anyone coming at him or up behind them (besides the one slow developing play TFL where no one blocked him), he disappears as the games goes on (a known trend), and finally as you pointed out, which isn’t all on Burns, but if he can be taken out or exposed the defense won’t be competitive.

Awful FO management relying on just one guy despite Luvu and Brown doing well. At the same time it is on Burns if he wants Bosa money because he needs to come through in crunch time and take over a game when it matters despite being the sole playmaker. That’s what elite money pays for.

Edited by onmyown
  • Beer 1

Let's see how it goes next week. There's a lot of work to be done, but all things considered, we should be heading into the season with a lot of work to be done.

We didn't embarass ourselves out there. We need to stretch the field and work on conditioning -- the Dline and OLine were both gassed by the fourth quarter and it showed. I'm going to blame that on the exceptionally hot summer that kept practices short and lower effort.

Also, I think Chuba needs to start next week. His performance deserves some cheers and honestly Sanders needs a wake up that we need better effort.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Harbingers said:

Oh the huddle. The thread about benching Young has 68 replies and 1.8K views. This one 5 replies and 200 views. People love to complain on Monday’s. @LinvilleGorge @rayzor this one might be sticky worthy.

I think these people enjoy complaining on any day ending in Y. We could’ve won by 20 and there would still be complainers.

• Pie 6

The positive was that in actuality we were the better team yesterday. We just killed ourselves with the turnovers.

I also thought that despite his stature Bryce Young didn't look that small to me. I liked that he threw across the middle, showed some escape ability. Hated the INTs but he is a rookie. I suspect that second INT was Bryce trying to bait Bates. If so, I actually like the arrogance there. I thought his arm looked pretty good, though I wish he connected on those deep balls. I do worry about him already being close to his ceiling, and that there might be something to him playing overly structured and predictable in that sense. BUT I thought he looked pretty competent out there. 

The offensive line looked great, and defense overall was very good. 

Sanders fumble is what lost us the game. That was going to be a TD drive. 

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, Saca312 said:

Now, the interceptions were also partly Young's fault. He failed to look off and hold the safety. Part of that play's success involves holding the safety so that they don't time the route properly and jump Young. That is something I see Bryce working on.

I saw something different. On one of them he absolutely was looking at another receiver and then progressed to the next one and threw the interception. That was just an amazing play by the safety (who I believe they paid quite handsomely I might add). 

overall my stock is way up on Bryce young. Way down on the receivers 

• Pie 3

Turnovers are unexpected negative events. But you can respond to those, as a team. We did not. 

I think the observation that the Panthers lost more than the falcons won is encouraging but a division loss, even on the road, puts us behind the pack

Definitely  not giving up on the season and definitely not opening up 2 out of 3 threads on the huddle. Keep Pounding

37 minutes ago, Adb6368 said:

I saw something different. On one of them he absolutely was looking at another receiver and then progressed to the next one and threw the interception. That was just an amazing play by the safety (who I believe they paid quite handsomely I might add). 

overall my stock is way up on Bryce young. Way down on the receivers 

Eh, gotta call it 33/33/33. The safety was good. But Bryce attempted a high difficulty throw twice in plays the safety didn’t bite for. And since this was the first real tape on Bryce, this was obviously seen by the Atlanta D coordinator as a weakness of Reichs. So their DC gambled and it paid off twice for them. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 2