• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who would you rank as top 5 Panther draft busts of all time?

TheBigKat

17 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Even over Collins?

Oh absolutely. 

Collins was the QB on a team that made it to the NFC Championship game and made a pro bowl (after SEVERAL people dropped out and he just happened to be in hawaii on vacation.) He had his jaw broken in the preseason, really let his drinking get out of control, and had to get his life together before surfacing with the Giants and playing in a superbowl. Then Kerry hung around and was productive for another 10 years. So he could clearly play. And Collins taking time to deal with his demons isn't the reason the Panthers fell apart after 1997 - it contributed, but there was a lot going on. 

Everette Brown had no position in the NFL. He was drafted in part to give the team leverage in negotiations with Peppers. They overpaid for him and the pick became Mike Iupati. It created a huge hole in talent that would take years to dig out of, and I would argue they never did. Obviously that was during the height of Hurney setting draft picks on fire, but even just one more first rounder during that period sure would have been helpful 7 years later in the Super Bowl. 

Could not play, drafted for stupid reasons, final nail in the coffin of the Fox era, set the team back SUBSTANTIALLY, nearly led to Hurney trading the Cam newton pick for Jimmy Clausen (thank you Arizona).....i mean that pick had it all. 

If you want to go back a step further you say it was Jeff Otah, since that was the first "trading future first rounders" domino to fall. And also Jeff Otah may or may not have just decided he didn't want to play football anymore and fake some soft tissue injuries while collecting a paycheck. Which hey, I get it. 

But he could very clearly play when he was motivated, so i don't think he belongs here. 

I'm baffled by anyone putting Clausen on the list. He was a second rounder; so even though he was our first pick of the draft (thanks Everette Brown) you can't really say staked the future of the franchise on him.

Also IMO "bust" is largely contingent upon the opportunity cost. The "we clearly should have taken instead" factor. That was a legendarily bad draft class for QBs; Bradford, The Golden Calf of Bristol, then Clausen. The next best after him was Colt McCoy. You look how that draft played out, and I don't see anyone one can clearly say we should have taken instead.

Clausen was a dice roll that didn't work out. I hardly call that a bust.

And as other have said, Clausen is the reason for us having the best QB in Panthers history. He's a hall of fame pick in terms of the history of the franchise!

19 hours ago, ChuckWag78 said:

I only have 1sr and 2nd round picks on my list. 

1. Eric Shelton RB

2. Everette Brown DE

3. Rashad Anderson CB

4. Bruce Nelson G

5. Rae Carruth WR (has to be on here)

Can't have Clausen on the list because he brought us Cam. 

Bruce Nelson was injuries. I remember being so excited that we got him AND Gross in that draft. Was really sad what happened w/ his hip.