• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce critics - let's be honest

NAS

3 hours ago, NAS said:

If you look at my post history I was a CJ Stroud guy, so miss me with being a Bryce fanboy or coddler.    However, I think the kid can be a really good QB if he gets put into a better situation.   I don't know if he will be great, or have the same ceiling as AR or Stroud,  but I think we should lookin in the mirror and self reflect by asking ourselves a few questions:

1. Is it Bryce Young's fault that Panthers traded up to pick him at #1? 

Your anger should be directed at the FO not the rookie QB who is trying to develop in an extremely difficult situation.

2. If Bryce was 6'2" instead of 5'10" and had the same identical performances, would you feel the same away about his progress as a rookie QB? 

Be honest.  You would probably give him a much longer leash but you're playing into the optics of him being small as the reason for not performing better.  

3.  If Ian Thomas catches the TD on the ball that hit him in the hands, or Bryce has even decent offensive line protection, Panthers win the game yesterday and Bryce wins with over 100 QB rating and Panthers are 1-3 instead of 0-4.    Would you still be saying he's a bust?  

I'm just saying, 3 games into his career, this is a major overreaction.  Trevor Lawrence was terrible most of his rookie year, but people didn't call him a bust because he's tall,  Jaguars didn't trade up to get him, and he had a terrible coach.  Bryce should at least get a chance to play out his rookie year and support him along the way.

He could be built and move like a 22 year old Cam Newton - if he still had the noodle arm he's displayed so far in his NFL career I'd feel the same way about his long-term prospects as an NFL QB. I'd be looking to move him to TE. 

Can I say I am tired of looking at him play without that being a personal thing? If so, that is how I feel. 

And I have felt bad, very bad, about the whole process after seeing the result of it (the trade and subsequent evaluations).

I can’t trust anybody up there engineering all this to display competent football decision making skills after this. 

Edited by stratocatter
  • Pie 2

He’s not big enough to stand in the pocket and make the hard throws. He has to look for lanes in the pocket, roll out, or run screens all day. It’s not really that hard to figure out. 

He doesn’t have the best arm strength, that combined with not trusting what he is seeing (or can’t see) down field impacts his performance.

The scary part is he panics. He had played 3 games, in all 3 games the ball has came flying out when he got touched. I’m pretty sure all 3 instances happened in opponent territory.

4 hours ago, NAS said:

If you look at my post history I was a CJ Stroud guy, so miss me with being a Bryce fanboy or coddler.    However, I think the kid can be a really good QB if he gets put into a better situation.   I don't know if he will be great, or have the same ceiling as AR or Stroud,  but I think we should lookin in the mirror and self reflect by asking ourselves a few questions:

Your anger should be directed at the FO not the rookie QB who is trying to develop in an extremely difficult situation.

2. If Bryce was 6'2" instead of 5'10" and had the same identical performances, would you feel the same away about his progress as a rookie QB? 

Be honest.  You would probably give him a much longer leash but you're playing into the optics of him being small as the reason for not performing better.  

3.  If Ian Thomas catches the TD on the ball that hit him in the hands, or Bryce has even decent offensive line protection, Panthers win the game yesterday and Bryce wins with over 100 QB rating and Panthers are 1-3 instead of 0-4.    Would you still be saying he's a bust?  

I'm just saying, 3 games into his career, this is a major overreaction.  Trevor Lawrence was terrible most of his rookie year, but people didn't call him a bust because he's tall,  Jaguars didn't trade up to get him, and he had a terrible coach.  Bryce should at least get a chance to play out his rookie year and support him along the way.

1. No. It's not his choice. 

2. If BY was 6'2" I don't think he'd be having some of the issues he's having now. He needs time for the lanes to open to see the field. He doesn't have it. At 6'2", he would be looking around helmets instead of shoulders. 

3. Can't guarantee a Panthers win if Thomas catches that pass or there's decent blocking. Other teams don't have that every week and still find a way to win. 

4. Too early to call him a bust but I still don't like the pick, never did. Overall he had the lowest ceiling and the theory was it would take much longer for AR and Stroud to develop. Looks like that time has already passed by and those 2 are playing better than BY. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

You almost always hear the debate that rookie QBs should sit and learn the NFL game because it is incredibly hard to succeed on physical talent alone. 

We were all told and sold on the idea that Bryce was leaps and bounds ahead of most rookie QBs in the mental side of the game to ever come out in the draft. It’s the reason we were told we traded up for him because he would be a plug and play starter who would only get better the more he plays. Unfortunately his physical talent has not translated well to the NFL. It’s all fine and dandy if you can process multi scenarios and outcomes in your head in seconds but what good does that do you if you can’t physically execute half of it.

It’s the reason NFL teams will usually take huge risks on insanely physical freaks and usually not on physically limited, highly intelligent players. You can teach a player the game but you can’t teach size, speed, and strength.

100% agreed. It’s also reaction times and simply making a play with your arm talent. Knowing you can make a completion happen even if the defense countered with a correct call. 

5 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

You can’t disregard his size though. It’s a problem because he doesn’t have the physical tools to play within the game or out of structure. Even his running is comparatively slow because his stride is much smaller and doesn’t cover enough ground. 

Bryce is cerebral because he had to be the that way. It’s the only way he could  compete at the college level. Now the competition is too athletic and too smart themselves .

Expecting the rest of the team to be perfect so he can shine is not realistic or sustainable. As the #1 pick, and for what he gave up for him, he should be elevating the team. Not the other way around.

It’s not his fault we took him. It’s not personal in that sense. But my god what a stupid pick. The FO has had the right answers in front of them for 3 years now and they continue to outsmart themselves with stupid choices.

This is it!!! You don't trade the house for a QB with that many limitations. It's the main reason his size generally  get drafted in round 3 or so.  The risk isn't as magnified. The biggest reason anti- Bryce guys are speaking up, is because of the ridicule if you thought another QB was better. So many people named dragged bc they liked Stroud or Richardson  and yet here we are with our savior in week 4 crying on the sidelines. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

He could be built and move like a 22 year old Cam Newton - if he still had the noodle arm he's displayed so far in his NFL career I'd feel the same way about his long-term prospects as an NFL QB. I'd be looking to move him to TE. 

God, you guys are dense. There's nothing wrong with his arm.

I never wanted Bryce. I was saying Stroud and I knew Stroud had a arm. Saying this, there are two factors. 1 Bryce could be good but it will take years. Where as Stroud had the arm talent which is what you want to see in your QB. 2nd is carolina is plagued. Not going to lie. Baker Mayfield is playing good in TB. CMC looking like a MVP now. Literally we have a black cat as our team mascot and have that same luck. The only person you can point to is Tepper and the FO.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, NAS said:

1. No, but that's a red herring. No one here is mad at Bryce Young. People here are upset with Tepper for ignoring reality and mettling in what should be football only discussions which would've led to Anthony Richardson or C.J. Stroud. 

2. If Bryce Young played anywhere but Alabama, he would've been a third round pick. Taulia Taugaviola (spelling) would be talked about as the Number One pick in the 2024 Draft if he played at Alabama. Instead, he plays at Maryland and is largely ignored, but his traits are much better almost across the board than Bryce Young's. 

3. WE ARE RUNNING THE WRONG OFFENSE. I said this as soon as Reich was hired, I said it during the summer, I said it during pre-season. If we go back to dropping back 40 times a game and running out of the shotgun primarily, we will lose, period. 

People don't understand football, which is fine. But our transition last year under Wilks was out of necessity in order to protect our offensive line and better protect the QB. So we went to a run heavy game from under center and went play action off of that. Anytime we got into obvious passing situations late in games, Ickey was EATEN ALIVE, as he is now. 

Primary issue now is that Bryce is 5'9 and can't see over the line when running under center so transitioning back to that type of offense isn't possible unless you bench him. Winning this season is too far gone at this point but I was in favor of sending a 7th round pick for D'Onta Foreman. If nothing else, you could get Bryce more experience under center, go to 12 and 13 personnel and run two receivers to get the alignments to make sense.

We can't run the ball now because the opposition is putting 8 and 9 guys in a box while we continue to try to run out of the shotgun right into it. We don't change our packages to better suit the running game and it's a disaster to watch. It's like we "run because we have to" rather than making it make sense. If they can stop the run and stop the pass out of the same defensive package, we will never do much of anything.

AND NONE OF THAT IS THE OFFENSIVE LINES FAULT. We have guys suited to road grade. That was the idea with picking each of them. So now we ask them to pass block 50 times a game and expect success? Come on man. 

As for Young, we made the wrong pick. It was as obvious on the day it happened as it is now. It was also obvious that it was Tepper's call which is why people are pissed.

• Pie 3