• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CBS Sports suggest Panthers trade Burns to the Ravens for a first and third.

Varking

8 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

First, I need to let it go?  YOU keep saying this same thing in so many threads the last couple weeks about how people told you this about those guys and bitching about not having a #1.

But beyond that, I've never said we didn't need a #1, I've been screaming it from the moment we traded DJ

But knowing you need one, wanting you need one, and being realistic about who we can get or how we can get them can't be ignored, but you seem to keep wanting to.

Once we spent the money we did on Chark and Thielen, then drafting Mingo, that was it, it was a wrap for us making any other non back of the rotation additions to the WR room, even once D-Hop became available.  The team felt that Chark was going to be a good enough #1, it never was about TMJ or Mingo being the #1 and them having failed, they were always meant to be a #2 on the outside to Clark's #1 with Thielen in the slot.

At that point, the money and draft pick commitment was made to go into the season with those 3, TMJ, and Laviska as our Top 5 WRs.  Overspending on a D-Hop, to use up a big chunk what precious cap room we'll finally have next season while also essentially eliminating TMJ and/or Mingo from getting meaningful snaps just wasn't an option.

Of course hindsight is 20/20 and we should have never factored TMJ into the equation, but he had a strong finish to last year and the team and it's fans believed he could have been finally showing some of his potential.  If he was even a solid #2 level WR right now after 6 games, we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now, as with what Thielen is doing, if we had TMJ putting up #2 numbers, we'd be fine with those 2 along with what Chark and Mingo have provided.

Sure, if we can get a Higgins somehow this year, go for it, but short of another random WR becoming available that we didn't think would be, there isn't any reason to make a trade for average WRs like Jeudy or even Brown right now.  We just have to stick it out for the season and make sure to make a splash signing or trade in the offseason for a true #1.

Again, this is where you mix the Madden view with real life NFL football, involving salary cap space both this year and into the future, as well as trying to build up players for the future, rather than one year (which is why Mingo did and still does need meaningful snaps and targets).  It's all a give and take, you can't just manipulate things to get whoever you want just because you want to.

I think saying Burns would for sure get two firsts is the more Madden/homer take.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

You said it. The offer from the Rams was a fleecing. Remember the 49ers started slow and Jimmy was I think already dinged up. The Rams saw a window knowing they were going to have to jettison some guys (Floyd, Ramsey, etc.). They even enquired about CMC, probably a better deal than SF since their 2nd rounders diverged and we got the one almost a round lower (25 picks to be exact).

If we trade Burns for this now, you have to fire the GM. We could have had pick 15 in the last draft for Moore instead of throwing him in so we keep our 2025 1st and trade our 2025 2nd. We could have gotten pick 36 in this draft as well, which with a simple trade up (Arizona gave up pick 33) could have been our young TE like La Porta who went 34th. Oh, we’d also have the Rams next two 1sts. Heck, the Rams first were considered better at the time so maybe we could have used those or GB’s pick for Young and our own 2024 pick might still be in our pocket.

Huh? The rams didn’t have a 2023 first round pick and we still have our 2025 1st round pick. I take it you mean 2024 but we also have our 2024 2nd.

The Rams firsts offered were for 24 and 25.

Edited by Panthercougar68

52 minutes ago, joemac said:

If we do somehow swing a deal to get back into the first this next draft, we need to double dip at WR on our first 2 picks.  Sign an edge in free agency or something, but we HAVE to get Bryce some speed on the outside. 

I don’t want to leave it up to chance with this staff drafting

Dell, Downs, Hyatt all fit the speed bill and we went with Mingo. I’m sure there are a bunch of other guys I’m forgetting but those 3 come to mind immediately 

• Pie 2

24 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

I think saying Burns would for sure get two firsts is the more Madden/homer take.

No, it’s how the franchise tag works.

I said it in another thread just yesterday, I don’t think a team will give up two firsts mid season for him, but someone 100% will try to sign him in the offseason if tagged, the cost of doing that is 2 firsts.

It’s just the rules, not homer talk

With how he is playing it seems about fair and I don't know if his value improves or sinks further as the season drags on. I am more surprised he hasn't asked for a trade. He might be eying free agency in the offseason which would be really bad on the tag approach. Getting him gone now might be a cleaner approach vs the tag trade/keep scenario (lol but who knows with these people). 

I doubt they do a great job with him but I am interested in seeing what everyone chooses. This negotiation and situation since the Ram's offer has been a complete failure to date.

So we are just going to trade all of our good players for draft picks that we hope turn into good players and this makes sense?  And we trust Fitterer to use these picks or Tepper to pick a qualified replacement GM? 

Damn these are sad times.