• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is Adam Thielen able to get open?

Ricky Prickles

38 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

He’s a smart vet. Dude knows when to sit in a soft zone or take a choice route and keep running. Mingo I don’t expect to be there yet but let’s hope he develops. TMJ is terrible and Chark I think is grossly misused 

Chark runs very poor routes and has very poor releases. His route tree is literally two routes Go and Deep Cross.

• Pie 1

49 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

I dont get it? How is aging Adam Thielen able to get open yet younger guys and even guys faster than him cannot? Is it lack of care or effort or heart? What the hell is the deal? Your paid to get open and catch the damn ball. Why cant this be accomplished with this team with anyone besides Thielen? 

Because our WRs suck.

Chark is a deep threat, Mingo is raw and inexperienced, and TMJ that man a joke!

Tee Higgins is a must in the off-season. Hopefully we have a new GM and he can find us a WR in the draft as well.

23 minutes ago, Pantha-kun said:

I've seen other WRs get open downfield at times, either Bryce doesnt throw to them, misses them, or plays arent designed to go to them.  

He doesnt have that many attempts but the ones ive seen, Bryce struggles with deep ball accuracy

His accuracy on deep throws hasn't been great, but you can't say the handful of times he's actually had a clean pocket and realistic time to throw projects to him having no accuracy at all.  I wish some people would give him more than 6 games especially due to our O-line and the WRs/TEs he is working with.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Prickles said:

I dont get it? How is aging Adam Thielen able to get open yet younger guys and even guys faster than him cannot? Is it lack of care or effort or heart? What the hell is the deal? Your paid to get open and catch the damn ball. Why cant this be accomplished with this team with anyone besides Thielen? 

Adam is shifty,quicker than fast and has veteran savvy with great hands. He works the middle of the field that's Bryce sweet spot.  It's not all that difficult to figure out really.

It comes down to precision body control and agility at the NFL level. You must get the body around to get the hands on the ball at the last second.

Outside of Adam Thielen, Josh Vann was the only other WR with this ability, but he didn't have the ball thrown his way much and was overlooked.

Strength & Hands are the 2nd and 3rd qualities. 

Mingo is strong, but he lacks top level agility & hands. TMJ isn't an NFL WR. Chark is just another deep threat/speedster.

Hips, shoulders & feet for the NFL. Not as important in college. Panthers talent evaluation is awful.

It's just simply that he's a savvy vet who puts in the work in the film room, he's able to recognize coverages and knows how to run his routes to find the space.

Nothing tricky about it, it's why we signed him, so he could hopefully also be a partial coach to the young WRs and teach him everything he's learned over his career.

5 hours ago, Ricky Prickles said:

I think there is a lack of knowledge here into the importance of route running. Route running is the difference between throwing a touchdown before the WR breaks their route or it being an interception because the WR read/ran the wrong route or simple had terrible technical execution.

Beginner's guide.

Edited by thunderraiden

5 hours ago, Rocky Davis said:

His accuracy on deep throws hasn't been great, but you can't say the handful of times he's actually had a clean pocket and realistic time to throw projects to him having no accuracy at all.  I wish some people would give him more than 6 games especially due to our O-line and the WRs/TEs he is working with.

I would love to know what some opeoples definition of a clean pocket is in the NFL because unless you are going up against a absolute dog poo defense you rarely get that. At Alabama he was able to throw with nobody within 5 feet of him most of the time because the talent gap with his team and the other team was to great. That will never be the case In the NFL. You must be able to make throws in a muddy pocket, its always been like that. If bryce cant make throws with defenders around him thats a problem that just cant be fixed in the long run.