• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera's advice for Caneles

Per the Charlotte Observer:

Ron Rivera has some advice for new coach Dave Canales — and for the Panthers’ fan base

Good article, one of the quotes I like from it are

"You have to make sure you are surrounded by people that are going to help you. You want them to tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear.”

Hopefully Jim Caldwell, or maybe a new hire, will help with that.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article284724866.html

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, blueandblackattack said:

Per the Charlotte Observer:

Ron Rivera has some advice for new coach Dave Canales — and for the Panthers’ fan base

Good article, one of the quotes I like from it are

"You have to make sure you are surrounded by people that are going to help you. You want them to tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear.”

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article284724866.html

I hope he brings his own right hand man/adviser/whatever you call it.

Bring Pete Carroll 🙂

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Ron is a good guy. I like him as a person. And honestly Dave Canales should reach out to Ron just to pick his brain about being a head coach in the NFL and leading a group of grown ass men. If Matt Rhule had done that from the first day he might have had a wildly different tenure in Charlotte.

I’m not sitting here saying Ron was a great. I still remember the time he called a timeout right before the half with the clock running so the opposing team could have a chance to kick a field goal because he said the defense had too many men on the field and he didn’t want to be penalized. And in the biggest game of his life he didn’t change the scheme one bit to be ready to attack a potent Denver defense. But all in all he was not a bad coach. I think this article shows he might be lobbying for a consultant position on the Panthers staff haha

• Pie 4

Rivera was a good coach but an even greater guy. I knew him personally and he steered the ship through rough waters. He was real with people, total opposite of Rhule to what I saw. He was honest about what he learned as a HC early on, admitting he should have had more experienced coaches on his staff in the beginning. The players really liked him and people in general liked and respected him, especially if they knew him. He knew it was all about energy and spirit that made the difference between players as they all have a certain level of talent and he got them buying in to being a team. He, like many, trusted people around him and not everybody delivers. He should have had a SB trophy and maybe ppl would respect him more.

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 4.55.36 PM.png

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

7 hours ago, JPPT1974 said:

Good luck to you Dave and welcome to Carolina. Hope you will be bringing back winning for years to come.

How about just back to back winning seasons.  Dave would be instant HoF status if he accomplishes that in Carolina.

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, hepcat said:

Ron is a good guy. I like him as a person. And honestly Dave Canales should reach out to Ron just to pick his brain about being a head coach in the NFL and leading a group of grown ass men. If Matt Rhule had done that from the first day he might have had a wildly different tenure in Charlotte.

I’m not sitting here saying Ron was a great. I still remember the time he called a timeout right before the half with the clock running so the opposing team could have a chance to kick a field goal because he said the defense had too many men on the field and he didn’t want to be penalized. And in the biggest game of his life he didn’t change the scheme one bit to be ready to attack a potent Denver defense. But all in all he was not a bad coach. I think this article shows he might be lobbying for a consultant position on the Panthers staff haha

The difference is that Matt Rhule had been and will always be a con man.

13 hours ago, blueandblackattack said:

Jim Caldwelll needs to go.   And quick.   

Not sure why so many don’t seem to care he is still hanging around.  What was his job last year???  And on top of that, who is still in Tepper’s good graces after the Game of Thrones reporting on Frank? Caldwell certainly seemed to of skyrocketed in standing in Tepper’s eye.  I don’t view that as good at all. 

• Pie 3