• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Higgins to Panthers possible?

NAS

6 minutes ago, KBRed said:

Mike Evans said he’s never run routes like he has before Canales. So, there might be some interest in the new regime, without the antiquated approach. 

Of the big names Evans is probably the most realistic. He already has a SB so he probably looking for his last big payday.

Still there are plenty of teams with a lot of money to offer and a better QB. 

Yeah, I could see a tag and trade working out for Higgins. He would be “the man” here. Could also see Evans following Canales. Bucs players were really disappointed to lose him. Panthers will probably have to at least slightly overpay free agents. Would still need to add a WR in the draft. Canales is used to working with WRs who get open. That room is going to look much different in ‘24. 

It must just be me but I‘M not a huge Higgins fan. Definitely not opposed as we need talent so sure, if it’s mutual, come on in. But he tends to deal with constant minor nagging injuries, doesn’t miss much time, but there’s just always something going on with the guy. Multiple hammys, ankle, shoulders has had that notable concussion hit, he’s tweaked stuff at practice.

I know plenty of Bengals fans are pretty indifferent with him leaving. Especially considering the potential of Iosivas and Charlie Jones.

• Beer 1

36 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Damn! Didn't realize Ridley was 29.

I'd take Higgins for sure, but I don't see him as a true WR1. 

Ah... the Huddle mythical WR1 which basically just means if you aren't arguable the best WR in the league at the time you're a #2 at best.

25 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Ah... the Huddle mythical WR1 which basically just means if you aren't arguable the best WR in the league at the time you're a #2 at best.

Well, I don't agree with your thesis. Moreover, the concept or definition of a true WR1 or simply number one wide receiver  is not unique to the Carolina Huddle.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/26/antonio-brown-trade-block-defining-no-1-receiver

https://theathletic.com/1262373/2019/10/09/who-are-the-nfls-true-no-1-receivers-coaches-and-evaluators-weigh-in/

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2012/4/13/2945073/a-nagging-issue-what-is-a-1-wide-receiver

https://lastwordonsports.com/nfl/2023/08/18/jacksonville-jaguars-wide-receiver-calvin-ridley/

All year I've wanted us to sign Higgins, but the more I think about the less likely I think it is to happen. 

Even with our new capologist we actually don't have a lot of cap room and that especially becomes true if we re-sign Burns and Luvu. The Sanders and Hurst contracts are awful and there isn't a clean way out of them right now. 

I think we will be shopping in Old Navy maybe an item from Gap as oppose to Banana Republic this offseason (does this analogy still make sense?)

• Pie 1

Players will more often go to the team that makes the most financial sense. This hunt for a super bowl ideal is overplayed. This is a job. This is how they make their living, provide for their families, and create generational wealth. Most won't ever make this kind of money again in their lives, and they know it. Super bowls don't pay the bills once you're no longer under contract. 

No, the risk of the guy coming here and just mailing it in is too high. The only guys you pay that money are ones you've had 3-4 years to determinenif they are just money bums or actually try to win when the chips are down.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Players will more often go to the team that makes the most financial sense. This hunt for a super bowl ideal is overplayed. This is a job. This is how they make their living, provide for their families, and create generational wealth. Most won't ever make this kind of money again in their lives, and they know it. Super bowls don't pay the bills once you're no longer under contract. 

So we overpay.   That's the true panther way.   

You guys need to forget about guys like Higgins and Evans.  They aren't coming here.  Period full stop

Idk, but my sincere question as one who has not watched him much is how good is he? It sounds like he’s going to get a lot of money based on what teams think his production could be, and not based on the production he’s shown. Is it possible he’s closer to Brandon Lafell who some people just thought needed an opportunity not being overshadowed by Steve Smith?

People listed all the same reasons Deandre Hopkins wouldn't come here last year. We're irrelevant, we don't have a great QB, he'll only sign for a Super Bowl contender, etc. And then he signed to play for one of a small handful of teams equally irrelevant as the Panthers to be thrown to by Ryan Tannehill.

Big name players don't always sign for the top teams.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, rodeo said:

People listed all the same reasons Deandre Hopkins wouldn't come here last year. We're irrelevant, we don't have a great QB, he'll only sign for a Super Bowl contender, etc. And then he signed to play for one of a small handful of teams equally irrelevant as the Panthers to be thrown to by Ryan Tannehill.

Big name players don't always sign for the top teams.

More often than not it comes down to $$$. If the contracts on the table are similar them other factors like quality of the team, location, relationships with coaches, etc. comes into play. But usually players go to the team that's offering the most money just like most people searching for a job tend to take the best offer they can get.

• Beer 1