• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

BOA's new turf takes it's first victim

GOAT

3 hours ago, MHS831 said:

So we have to be careful and not overreact with ignorance like Catsfan before me.  Every injury is not to be blamed on the grass.  You have to look at the whole year and compare with the last few years at BOA.  Then do some advanced math (for some) and see which had fewer injuries.  Then you can start to investigate that hypothesis. 

Tepper deserves no quarter.

Destroying our beloved stadium by putting turf and those stupid field level seats.

I do not like most of his decisions and actions. 

Maybe he can win me over at some point but I doubt it.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 4

9 hours ago, TbTeRRoR said:

I posted an article to a sports medicine study in another thread a while back when we first swapped surfaces. The study showed that natural grass caused more lower leg injuries than the newer generation turfs. ......now the old astro turf....that was garbage. Superstition and old wives tales are the only reason people still believe this.       

Only thing you could knock against that article is it was focused more on soccer but If i remember correctly they did look at NFL injuries for comparison.

Interesting. This Football Outsiders analysis showed the opposite in some cases, though it is several years old at this point.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/turf-type-and-nfl-injuries-part-i

"Here we see a bit more variation. For knees, natural grass (2.8 per 1,000 AEs) has the lowest injury rate. Matrix Turf is elevated at 3.2 but includes a lot of uncertainty. Once again Momentum Turf and A-Turf (both 3.8) have the worst injury rates; Field Turf is also substantially above grass (3.6). The difference between Momentum/A-Turf/FieldTurf and grass is about one per 1,000 AEs, which translates to four fewer knee injuries a year for a team strictly working on grass versus these turfs. It's important to take account of the uncertainty in our data, but grass does appear to beat out at least certain kinds of turf for knee injuries.

Ankle injuries are more muddled. Here grass is near the middle with an injury rate of 2.0 per 1,000 AEs. Fieldturf is somewhat elevated (2.4). Momentum is once again at the top with 2.8, but a lot of uncertainty. All other artificial turfs are basically in line with grass."

An analysis by stadium is here and it isn't overly positive for FieldTurf, which is what Carolina installed.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/turf-type-and-nfl-injuries-part-ii

"FieldTurf still looks bad, though -- those stadiums hold the second-, third-, and fourth-highest rates of lower leg injuries. The other two FieldTurf stadiums also rank in the top half.

The stadiums with the six lowest lower leg injury rates are all natural grass. Houston remains essentially tied with Tennessee for the worst grass ranking.

Conclusions
All else being equal, natural grass fields seem the safer choice, especially for lower leg injuries. The issue, of course, is that they may not be suitable for all climates and stadium types. There's also a lot of stadium-to-stadium variation -- if you choose grass but use Houston's tray system, that's not helpful. Getting the right turf can pay huge dividends, as the difference between average and bad turf can be around half a dozen injuries per season. Any extra upfront costs of making the right choice pale in comparison to the cost in wins and game checks of getting it wrong."

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

8 hours ago, Catsfan69 said:

Destroying our beloved stadium by putting turf and those stupid field level seats.

I was just teasing a bit, but I hardly think stadiums are destroyed by turf and field seats (although i do not understand the seats--you cant see anything.)  The grass is something that you can work to your advantage; thick grass slows fast teams, etc.  You are a tough sell--that is for sure.   From the practice facility to Fitterer to toying with the idea of a new state of the art stadium, I like what Tepper brings.

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I was just teasing a bit, but I hardly think stadiums are destroyed by turf and field seats (although i do not understand the seats--you cant see anything.)  The grass is something that you can work to your advantage; thick grass slows fast teams, etc.  You are a tough sell--that is for sure.   From the practice facility to Fitterer to toying with the idea of a new state of the art stadium, I like what Tepper brings.

I sat in the field seats in Foxboro when we whipped Tom Brady and new England's ass. The seats were awesome. 

17 minutes ago, PanthersATL said:

I would have liked to see Tepper insist on the Absolute Best Turf in the NFL, as opposed to Just As Good As Other Stadium turfs.

Have we heard any reports of how our turf compares to the turf in other stadiums?  Thicker, lusher, softer, more turgid, anything?

The 4 Man Rush described the stench it emitted as unbearable. 

9 hours ago, Catsfan69 said:

can you imagine being as fragile as this person 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

OK I'll be fair I'm kinda positive on Fitterer.

That draft isn't looking bad although I would have liked another Tackle.

So I have to give Tepper credit for that.

That's reasonable. 

2 hours ago, PanthersATL said:

Have we heard any reports of how our turf compares to the turf in other stadiums?

I don't think so.  

I too prefer grass but as some previous comments highlighted certain turf providers have made massive strides in manufacturing a surface that is generally safe and really does closely mimic grass.

Here's a video the Texas Rangers provided about the turf they put into their new stadium a year ago, it looks damn good:  

15 hours ago, onmyown said:

I didn’t think it’d bother me but I realized I really do prefer a real field.

Aside from cost, is there a benefit of turf?

If they are looking at hosting an MLS team, all the college games and live events, it makes sense to have the turf as that is less maintenance.