• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith Sr on Baker Mayfield

therealmjl

5 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I still remember him sitting on the bench beside Jake on the guy's worst day ever in football (on his birthday to boot) and just trash talking him like a borrowed mule. I'm sure he was "just joshing" and "just busting his chops" but it was still one of the most asshole things I've seen someone do in life. 

And if you don't have Delhomme, then nobody was going to believe in a short, junkyard dog of a wide receiver enough to just feed him until he became an all star. Smitty will always be a dog that will bite the hand that feeds him.

That’s the first I’ve heard of Smitty trash talking Delhomme on the sidelines. I remember when Jake imploded in the ARZ game and Smitty was being nice to him saying something  along the lines of “you can throw 1000 INTs, you’re still my guy”.

Delhomme was an average QB that lost his edge when he got Tommy John. He couldn’t make the tight window throws he used to force. But I imagine Smitty has a great deal of respect for him because Jake put a lot of faith in Steve to make the miracle plays that he did. 

I have no doubt that Smith is likely an asshole in real life. I actually would dread meeting him because if I told him I grew up watching and adoring him he’d call me a grown ass man and tell me to ice up son. 

Smith is one of those dudes where his insanity is what drove him to be the player he was. It’s not an excuse for his behavior. It’s just literally how he was. And the culture of the NFL at the time allowed him to continue his career.

If he beat Ken Lucas or the other unfortunate fellow he blinded in todays game I think he would be penalized much more heavily.

I can’t speculate to what kind of man he is today. He was allowed to get away with some bad things. And he was cruel at times. But I do try to separate that from the player he was on field with the ball was in his hands or on its way to him. He was simply a force of nature that has yet to be replicated. He is pound for pound a top 5 WR all time. 

That said I’m sure he’s a temperamental dick in real life and decides moment to moment when he’s going to be friendly or not.

Edited by OneBadCat
  • Pie 2

7 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Totally.  Smith was a horrible teammate and is a terrible person.  Not sure how many more people he has to sucker punch, not sure how many more flag football refs he has to scream at and not sure how many cheap shots he has to take about current players like this before everyone pretty much agrees.

Did he scream at flag football refs? I never heard this story before and now you have me interested

2 hours ago, AggieLean said:

He’s right about Baker, and he was right about Jake.

Both aren’t good QBs. 

89 and Jake are tight.  They were super tight in Carolina. 

89 wasn’t poo talking Jake after that week 1 game.  That was 89 trying to comfort his buddy.  

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, YourLastThought said:

Did he scream at flag football refs? I never heard this story before and now you have me interested

I saw it first hand and heard about it again numerous times.  He went onto the field and berated a flag football ref.  He was a "coach" or something for his kids team.  He embarrassed himself. 

• Poo 1

12 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Smitty is areceiver and sees through a receivers eyes. He would be biased toward OBJ who is controversial just like he was. You have to just take what he said understanding the lense he filters everything through.   Then again, C'Mon  Man........

He is also a d*ck and sees through a pee hole situated about 2.4 feet above the ground.