• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Things are not well on Mint Street.

Zod

14 minutes ago, chknwing said:

expectations were far too high for this season, the team, and Darnold.  This is a work in progress.  Early season success had created an opportunity for disappointment.  Come down off the ledge.  It's going to be ok.  Lets finish rebuilding the team, get atleast a full year to have the team gel together before we allow those super bowl expectations to sneak back in.

I agree to some extent however I don't think asking for more than 1 TD from our qb in over 5 games is having expectations that are too high.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, CRA said:

they do belong in the NFL.  They are a cast of backup offensive lineman.   

if all you had to do was hire a coach to make backups look like starters.  Then people would spend all their time investing in OL coaches and not in the actual  OL. 

I'm pretty sure the job of a coach is to improve a player's game. By your sentiment, coaches never elevate the level of a player's game based on talent or ability; if they suck, they will always suck or marginal athletes can never be successful.  Why even bother coaching then? 

• Beer 2

15 minutes ago, Zod said:

Tepper ain't happy. Pissed in fact. Something could happen this week.

Is this sorta like,  Rhule saying we were going to run more after the Philly game, only to not run more in the next game ?   

I don't like mid season changes.   BUT ..  what can it hurt. 

We will probably win 1-2 more games.  This will not settle well with the masses.   

In Sam Darnolds presser,,  said he needed to not turn the ball over.  That if it isn't there , throw it away,,  and if he's out of the pocket make better choices.   THAT'S what we are hearing every week.   P J is not a viable answer. 

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Imagine if we fire Brady just to watch him go build a powerhouse at LSU or take another NFL OC job and have great success. It won't be at all surprising. I really don't think he's the problem. If you suck at OL and you suck at QB you're gonna suck on offense. You just can't scheme your way around massive deficiencies at both.

I agree. 

We took a QB who has been one of the worst in the league, not average, not slightly below average, but one of the worst by many metrics, and we act surprised by what is happening?

I'm not sure how you really judge the offensive staff.  I would criticize them more for thinking this was a good idea than the actual play calling.

18 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

The “Tepper is the problem” takes are so bad. If you didn’t see on draft night that he’s a hands off owner when it comes to personnel then idk what more you need. This isn’t Dan Snyder or Jerry. He’s letting the football guys run the team and right now they’re sucking. 

My guess is Brady gets axed and Sean Ryan gets play calling responsibilities to try and salvage Darnold so that maybe he isn’t a lame duck asset in the off-season. 

I think people MAY be coming to the realization that if you’re calling an offense with Burrow, Chase, Jefferson, and Edwards-Helaire you’re probably going to be pretty good in college. 

So... the decision makers and coaches are the problem but Tepper who brought them all in isn't? Okay.

• Flames 1

7 minutes ago, hepcat said:

What could happen that will make the team better at this juncture in the season? The problem is Darnold plain and simple. Second problem is Joe Brady and his juvenile play calling. Can’t readily go out and find better replacements for these guys midway through the season. 

Tepper should just put out a statement apologizing to the fans for the miserable season and vow to get it fixed this off-season. Knock the ticket prices down for Panthers fans. With all the tech we have these days there has to be a way to weed out the opposing teams fans.  

If Matt Rhule gave Joe Brady me? What do you think his playcalling would be? Well, he would call a run every down.  It wouldn't work out well but that is all Joe Brady could do.   Would that make Brady a juvenile play caller?   Actually, he would run the wildcat every play and put me pointlessly outside.  Even me taking a snap would be too risky.   That is just an exagrerrated view of Joe Brady's life right now.  

Sam can't do basics.  Yet people want Joe Brady to do scheme up a bunch more stuff that is over Sam's head. 

• Pie 4

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

Give the best QB coach in the NFL Jimmy Clausen.  He is still Jimmy Clausen.  

It's a talent driven league.  Even a talented OL groups are setup to fail in today's NFL.  There is no coaching up 4 guys who are backups all lined up beside each other that is going to make a really bad QB look good either. 

Yeah, top many fans also have a very college/high school view of the NFL(much like Rhule and Co.). If you always draft and sign based on "potential" alone and you ignore the warts....you are the Al Davis Raiders. A roster of Underwear Olympics champions and reclamation projects.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, CRA said:

Joe Brady being scapegoated pretty much guarantees we will bring in an old NFL retread next year.  No one young with potential is going to risk the rep damage coming here would do.   

Joe Brady might be good....he might not.   You won't know either way giving him Sam Darnold and this OL.  He is a passing guy.   But he did get the most productive seaosn out of everyone his first season... before we went the comical Sam route. 

While I agree to an extent, one thing required of an OC is the ability to assess his team honestly and do what they do best - not necessarily what he does best.  It could be that Brady told them this was the likely outcome before the season started, we would never have been privy to that.  If he did say something behind closed doors of that nature, well, we could simply be seeing the result.

I'm not a Brady fan at this point, by any means.  However, I don't know what I don't know.  My suspicion is that Brady isn't ready.  I believe he parleyed one season of absolute excellence into an NFL OC position.

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, CarolinaLivin said:

The James Morgan or Josh Love show? Or do we need another episode of the PJ show? 

Regardless... probably same result lol

The one actual epsiode of the PJ show.....was better than what we have seen the last 5 weeks.  Just a fact.   Go check the WR production in the Lions game.  PJ might give you turnoevers and dumb plays.  But the only time he started he got the ball into the hands of the WRs.  WRs had the most yards in the PJ game than any other last year I believe. 

20 minutes ago, chknwing said:

expectations were far too high for this season, the team, and Darnold.  This is a work in progress.  Early season success had created an opportunity for disappointment.  Come down off the ledge.  It's going to be ok.  Lets finish rebuilding the team, get atleast a full year to have the team gel together before we allow those super bowl expectations to sneak back in.

Agreed. 

We took Sam's 5th year. So its likely he is here next year. I think we need sit him the rest of the year and let him learn from the sideline. Putting him out there is not helping us win and because of the 5th year option we need to see what he could be next year. We should bring in a vet to finish off the rest of the year and go into next season with Sam with an open QB competition. But at this point putting Sam out there is not good for anyone. 

24 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

The “Tepper is the problem” takes are so bad. If you didn’t see on draft night that he’s a hands off owner when it comes to personnel then idk what more you need. This isn’t Dan Snyder or Jerry. He’s letting the football guys run the team and right now they’re sucking. 

My guess is Brady gets axed and Sean Ryan gets play calling responsibilities to try and salvage Darnold so that maybe he isn’t a lame duck asset in the off-season. 

I think people MAY be coming to the realization that if you’re calling an offense with Burrow, Chase, Jefferson, and Edwards-Helaire you’re probably going to be pretty good in college. 

AND BRADY DIDN'T EVEN CALL THE DAMN PLAYS FOR THOSE GUYS TO BEGIN WITH!!!!

• Pie 1