• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 3 Pick 94: Panthers Select Matt Corral - QB Ole Miss

Ricky Spanish

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Because he pretty much is. I think he measured like 6’1” and 6/8 or something. That’s about the height of Aaron Rodgers. He just needs to bulk up some. 

I don't know where I saw this but said he was 6'0 and I've had that in my mind ever since.

Just now, pantherj said:

I don't know where I saw this but said he was 6'0 and I've had that in my mind ever since.

They were probably mixing it up with the other picks. Willis and Howell are the 6’0” guys. He also looks smaller because he is pretty skinny. 

18 minutes ago, pantherj said:

The play the exact same. Both have the exact same scattershot deep ball that will be intercepted in the pros. Same guy. We will draft a QB in the 1st round in 2023 I'd bet anything on it.

Yeah, super excited about Ickey. I don't see this pick solving anything long-term, it's just throwing crap against the wall to see if they can do better than Sam when there really wasn't an good enough option once Watson was off the board this year. This is about filling the year and upgrading from PJ in reality. 

You are 100% dead on about 2023. It is still our closest chance at a franchise QB. Hopefully this test run teaches some lessons when that rolls around. 

5 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Yeah, super excited about Ickey. I don't see this pick solving anything long-term, it's just throwing crap against the wall to see if they can do better than Sam when there really wasn't an good enough option once Watson was off the board this year. This is about filling the year and upgrading from PJ in reality. 

You are 100% dead on about 2023. It is still our closest chance at a franchise QB. Hopefully this test run teaches some lessons when that rolls around. 

Yeah Corrall will be able to do what Teddy did in moving the offense with short and mid-range passes. The problem is the deep ball is not there as far as accuracy goes and that won't change. Corrall is a big upgrade over PJ, but he's not good enough to deter us from lusting over those 2023 prospects.

Edited by pantherj
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

5 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Yeah Corrall will be able to do what Teddy did in moving the offense with short and mid-range passes. The problem is the deep ball is not there as far as accuracy goes and that won't change. Corrall is a big upgrade over PJ, but he's not good enough to deter us from lusting over those 2023 prospects.

All about that run game. Boring but effective.

Meh in a dream world McAdodo can start him after working with him when he takes over from Rhule who gets fired mid season and we still pick in the top 10 with a solid D, oline and running game. That is the fugging win I want to see!

Edited by Waldo

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

@RJK

@shaq

@Sean Payton's Vicodin

@Matthias

@MillionDollarCam

@4Corners Not surprised

@Centerfield

Why can't any of you be positive just for once.   

I wasn't a fan of his, no specific reason, but I am 100% on board.  Go watch the Chris Simm's video.  He's a lot smarter than most of us when it comes to QB. 

Can't you at least wait until 1 OTA before you start trashing him.

What I find funny other than one or two of you.  You offer no real reason other than to hate.

If you dislike this team so much go to another #$%$#%$^$@@#  Team. 

Why do I have to be a sheep when I can have my own opinion?

This board is supposed to be for football conversation not sucking off the FO.

I gave a very valid reason for not liking the pick. There is only one QB in the NFL that ran as much RPO as Corral did and it’s Tua. So Willis can be trashed for his system but Corral can’t be disliked for his?

There are very few people on this board that actually have real conversations when it comes to football. The rest either blindly follow the team like sheep or hate every move.

I stated that I loved the Ickey pick and gave valid reasons for liking the pick even though some question his ability as a pass protector. I gave a valid reason for why I didn’t like the Corral pick as the system he came from doesn’t produce NFL QB’s.

Instead of getting any real conversation back people post fugging videos of what one guy said because they have no knowledge of the game of football. Instead of pooing people’s posts people need to provide a valid response to a valid concern or find something else to do with their spare time. If my comment bothers you but you don’t have the intellect to have an actual football conversation with me then block me.

I am here to talk football with the few that have any sense. Not cradle the balls of this franchise and cheer their every move.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1
  • Poo 4

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

News flash, they will be taking shots at qb until one sticks. This is the first shot at one in the draft. There will be more shots you can believe that. 

I just can't see why there is outrage against the best QB of a bad draft for qb's.  Just because you are in love with another doesn't mean you have to hate this kid. Give him a chance. No one expects him to be a pro bowl QB or the face of the franchise out the gate. If you are then it's going to be miserable for you for a while.

Look, having another college kid on the team would have been cool but the Panthers decided to go with Corral so its done.  He's a Panther now so obviously he's deserves out support and I will be hoping the teams faith in him is well founded.

So Matt, get in here and show us what you can do. We need a turn of good fortune for a change. 

Nothing has changed for me and I was vocal about it pre-draft. Fug Matt and get a franchise QB in 2023. That is the win this team needs. I can't even pretend anymore that it will work itself out this year, nothing left there for me.

We got our LT, that is what I am celebrating which is everything since I never saw a path to a QB this year. This is just meh, I get it but whateves.

This fits the 5 year plan, 2 years into Rhule. Kid learns from macadoo for year 1 maybe a little game time year 1. His 2nd year gets the top billing unless we get lucky in the 2023 draft and get the big time 1st rounder (and likely a terrible 2022 to net that high high pick). Likely a growth year. Year 3 he's closer to being above average. Add that to the rest of the OL, WR,CMC, and D and it might work in year 5 if Rhule.

Love the kids quick arm and zip in the shirt intermediate game. It's not the sexy big deep throws everyone here wants. It's teddy 2.0 possibly in that he can move the ball between the 20s. Now, can he sling it in tight windows the NFL allows inside the 20s? We shall see. He can launch the ball down field but like a few others it's a little more scatter shot. Then again dudes fresh outa school. It can improve and not a deal breaker.

Like the fact he was super quick reader in the RPO. Now that's not to say he should run RPO. It's more he can process and make the quick decision. Counter is he had some really rough games 2 years ago that tanked his stock where his read was quick, wrong, and cost his team INTS and points. To his credit, he had no memory and kept firing, but to the wrong tream.... That's a blessing and a curse, but I rather have the guy without fear than one that goes into a shell when something goes wrong (sorry, but imo that's Sam after Minny). This year he was much stingier with the INTS.  I can see this being a reason some teams would really push the stock way down.

Overall he is that gunslinger, risk taker, and in a great scheme that got his skill players into open windows. He made teams pay, but if you could crack the scheme  code, he could turn it over a lot and in a hurry. So some of the stock has to be depressed as it's the system that people look good in. Kind of the opposite of Herbert's system that depressed his product at Oregon. Cause Herbert definitely looks better in a meh chargers team vs Oregon ducks days.

Its a pick that has high risk like most QBs. But at 3 next and 4th this year, eh if it hits your a genius, if not it's not the huge blow a miss the 1st 2 rounds can cause (hey Darnold, Rosen, Jones). Here's hoping Macadoo can unlock the offense with him and can keep putting him in positions to win via the scheme like Lane at Ole Miss.

8 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

It's the not learning from the mistakes of the past that is so ridiculous.

This is how we ended up without Day 2 picks this draft. This dumb poo.

With the way the qbs were falling I have to agree with you,  seems like a panic desperation move when all we had to do was wait and be patient today

• Poo 2

4 hours ago, gibreezy said:

who did macadoo pick before how do you know this is what he looks for?

In interviews from previous drafts he liked guys who are mobile, big arm, can throw off the run and out of the pocket. Corral checks all those boxes. He's the best QB in the draft in throwing while running and out of the pocket, and has a smooth, very quick release like a baseball outfielder. He still has a lot of work to do with read progression and bulking up, his size isn't ideal. But in a very below standard QB class, Corral is easily the most talented. If he doesn't show anything, we are only out a 3rd and will trade up/draft one of the top 3 next year.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, shaq said:

Someone help me understand why we didn’t take Howell.

Howell regressed over his college career, he got worse every year he was the starter. Now that could be caused by a myriad of issues. But Corral has a better body of work and stats than Howell.

im a UNC fan fwiw.

• Beer 1