• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mayfield now leaning toward Seattle?

Mr. Scot

Aaron Wilson's latest update on the Baker Mayfield story makes it sound as if things are trending away from the Panthers and more toward the Seahawks.

Excerpts:

The Carolina Panthers, after holding trade discussions during the draft regarding Mayfield that didn’t come close to a deal, are not regarded as likely of a destination as another potential trading partner: the Seattle Seahawks.

The time for a sense of urgency to get a deal done, which ideally would have happened before the end of minicamps, has passed. Now, the new goal for the Browns would be to take care of this lingering piece of business before training camp or, failing that, the start of the regular season.

The interest between the Seahawks and Mayfield is mutual, according to league sources.

The Seahawks’ depth chart at quarterback dictates this situation as much as anything. The Seahawks have Drew Lock and Geno Smith currently competing for the starting job.

They have $16.3 million in salary cap space available, so they would need to make some adjustments to absorb Mayfield’s current salary or extend him.

There is concern from the NFL Players Association that the league will look to suspend (Deshaun Watson) for the entire 2022 season, if not indefinitely, according to sources. Should that happen, the Browns are expected to go forward with Jacoby Brissett rather than try to reconcile with Mayfield.

A scenario of trying to mend fences with Mayfield and have him play one more season for them after effectively rejecting him as their guy is considered all but impossible to accomplish.

Mayfield said he initially thought the Indianapolis Colts were where he was headed prior to their trade with the Atlanta Falcons to acquire quarterback Matt Ryan. He also referenced the Seahawks as an intriguing possibility.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

God what a saga this has been. All these potential QB's from Watson to Jimmy G. to Mayfield, I have not been excited about any of those three. I never wanted Watson due to the high price he would command to get him and also due to me believing he is a piss poor leader and will be a piss poor face of the franchise. Also I personally believe all his time away from football will make him very rusty and he won't come back nearly as good as he once was. Take away an extra year for him from suspension and I would be willing to bet he may never play to a probowl level again for the rest of his life. Wanted nothing to do with that perv from day one. 

Fast forward to Jimmy G. and Baker....I am not excited about the thought of either and don't seea true future with either. I unfortunately also don't see a real future with Sam either but I see us paying him some big money either way so I say we just roll with Sam, Corral and another guy for next season and if that takes us into failure then depending on how we feel about Corral then we may have a high draft pick to take a tip flight QB next draft. Regardless I see no amazing future with Baker Mayfield. He is an okay QB but just decent enough to win a couple more games than Sam. I don't feel like it is what we need here. We either need to fly high or crash and burn. We don't need another 5 won season that takes us out of it for a top of the line QB next draft.

• Pie 1

Makes more sense. Mayfield knows he would definitely start there. If Watson is out for the whole season the Browns could get Geno or Lock in the trade as a cheap backup to Brissett. Seattle could either ask the Browns to cover half of the 5th year option or get at least a reasonable 1 year extension added to Baker to soften the cap hit. On our end the Browns don't want Darnold, we wouldn't give them Corral, and we don't need all three competing and distracting the whole team during training camp. 

• Pie 1

If Mayfield ends up in Seattle, it will be the best thing for his career. It won't be like Brees getting a restart in New Orleans after being jilted by San Diego, but it sure could be a Tannehill like story.

I think Baker has the skills to really succeed if he can get good, solid coaching and is on a team that has some cohesion to it. I think he had more to do with making the Browns relevant again than he gets credit for. The talk of him being not so great with the locker room there may have less to do with Mayfield than it does with an organization that has been the measure of futility since the 1990s.

If he came here, instead, I'm not sure he'd have the same success under Rhule that he'll have under Pete Carroll. 

• Beer 3
  • Flames 1

I hope he does, we have been foolish. Seriously who really thinks Sam is the guy over Baker? 
Neither is a Tom Brady, or some elite qb but Baker showed the most potential, between the two.  M Carrol right now, is a hope so.
So if we are seriously considering M Carrol as our guy, then we were smart.  

Edited by pww42

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

What? It can’t be. It’s today and today Mayfield is going to be a Panther.

Whenever there is a post with “insider information” from Zod or Verge I just take it for what it’s worth. Which is basically nothing except the entertainment value of a long thread. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

Worst case scenario we saved money to pay other guys - we saved picks by not wasting them on QB's in trade or the draft - and we have a high pick in the 2023 draft with a shot at a true, young, Franchise QB.  

No reason to stress - keep building - keep pounding!

Edited by Stingray3030
  • Pie 2