• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield pulling ahead quickly.

Zod

51 minutes ago, musicman said:

I don't think they'll just dump Sam or trade him for a 7th round pick and pay his salary just to get rid of him. He's a solid back up and you can truly red shirt Matt. If needed, Sam can win you a game or 2. BTW, the back up is always the most popular guy on the team.

No.  He's not.  Solid backups don't have turnover problems.  Solid backups are the ones who don't lose games for you.  Maybe they don't win them, but they don't lose them.  Derek Anderson was a good backup QB.  TB5 was a good backup QB.  

Sam is a bad QB.  Period.  Backup or starter, bad.  He seems like a good dude.  Both can be true statements.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, musicman said:

I don't think they'll just dump Sam or trade him for a 7th round pick and pay his salary just to get rid of him. He's a solid back up and you can truly red shirt Matt. If needed, Sam can win you a game or 2. BTW, the back up is always the most popular guy on the team.

I don't think they'll dump him for the reasons you stated. I think they'll keep him because they won't be able to move on with his price tag. And part of Rhule is still going to hope that the light will come on.

Unfortunately it just looks like the dude doesn't have what it takes in composure and in his ability to see the field. The nice guy Sam stuff gets old. Cam Newton is a nice guy and is better than Sam.

Darnold has an NFL arm no doubt and he does have good ball placement. But he can't handle adversity, and he looks like he doesn't understand what's going on. And if he does, he hesitates and makes too many mistakes. That and the leadership qualities aren't there.

Sorry if I missed this posted elsewhere, but just saw this:

The battle to be the starting QB is still too close to call, but coach Matt Rhule likes how Mayfield has picked up the offense. "We test guys every day," he said. "His tests come back in the hundreds. He's a pros pro." -- David Newton

That aligns with what was said coming in about Mayfield picking up playbooks quickly. I had seen a comment from college coaches that Mayfield has a "photographic memory". 

An actual glimpse of insight from Newton

While not playing favorites, Corbett said the energy Mayfield brings is "truly unmatched."

"A true love of competition that he pours out into everything," he said. "He beats himself up over minor mistakes."

Darnold, Corbett said, is more laid back. He seldom seems upset.

11 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We need to move on to the real competition at QB. Let's see if Corral can push Darnold for that #2 spot. 

I agree in principal ..  but in all honesty, Baker needs to start getting all the snaps with the #1's to get that repour with the number #1 receivers, line, etc.   Half the snaps can make a big difference. 

• Pie 1