• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers cut Daviyon Nixon

Zod

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

And we move on. He wasn't a make or break player for the team right now and the current staff is on a make or break season. Decisions like this get made when you're a bubble player, particularly one who is injured.

Perhaps he'll recover and get another chance somewhere later on and make the most of it. Right now, we're trying to make a team to compete right this minute. There are other jobs on the line, particularly those who make these decisions.

Tough for him, but it might be a blessing in disguise for the guy. He's young and has time to fix the problems and develop to his potential. Right now, Coach Rhule and Fitterer are looking down the barrel of show us something or leave town.

Why do people keep lumping Fitterer in with Rhule 

2 hours ago, NorthTryon said:

They drafted a player, he got injured and he can't even get a practice squad spot after one year? Then amongst each other they feel he didn't have the skill to play NFL Football. And he was cut to keep Hoskins? Make it make sense. 

Doesn’t matter drafted or undrafted once they get in the field in most cases. Nixon looked like a LB next to NFL players. McCall stole his lunch money in pre season and that was that.

Aaron Donald’s and Geno Adkins are few and far between. Give me the big guys.

It's not Nixon washing out in his 2nd year that really bothers me, it's that Rhule opened his mouth and said something incredibly stupid yet again. Just say he wasn't a good fit and wish him luck. We can't even get a game in before this baffoon is at it again. 

• Beer 3

They drafted a player, he got injured and he can't even get a practice squad spot after one year? Then amongst each other they feel he didn't have the skill to play NFL Football. And he was cut to keep Hoskins? Make it make sense. 

Folks will sing the company line rn but if our run defense is cheeks come Oct you know what time it will be they'll be screaming lol.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Waldo said:

It's not Nixon washing out in his 2nd year that really bothers me, it's that Rhule opened his mouth and said something incredibly stupid yet again. Just say he wasn't a good fit and wish him luck. We can't even get a game in before this baffoon is at it again. 

My biggest problem with Rhule is he has a bad habit of explaining too much. And when that happens, he inevitably says something dumb as is often the case with most of us. Case in point: the Brady Christensen arm length fiasco from last year. And now trying to explain away giving up on a 2nd year player which I’m personally not happy about. He needs to take a page out of Belicheck’s “less is more” playbook.

• Beer 3
  • Flames 1

They took a flyer on him. And, yes, it's not inconceivable that Hoskins is better than Nixon (he was during the extremely limited times that I saw him). I don't know what else to tell you. Day 3 picks are day 3 picks. Along with UDFAs, they're highly speculative.

• Pie 3

10 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

My biggest problem with Rhule is he has a bad habit of explaining too much. And when that happens, he inevitably says something dumb as is often the case with most of us. Case in point: the Brady Christensen arm length fiasco from last year. And now trying to explain away giving up on a 2nd year player which I’m personally not happy about. He needs to take a page out of Belicheck’s “less is more” playbook.

Rhules interview after the season on WFNZ where he talked about arm size, BC and Slater was the key moment I knew he was borderline retarded

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Rhules interview after the season on WFNZ where he talked about arm size, BC and Slater was the key moment I knew he was borderline retarded

Anyone with any fuging sense would know to just generally give some bland answer to that question.

"We are excited to see Brady develop and look forward to him helping us in the future. Rashawn is obviously a very talented guy that had a great season for the Chargers."

See how easy that was? It took me fuging 0.5 seconds to think of that. I said nothing and didn't sound like I was justifying anything.

• Pie 2

39 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Hoskins barely played and I remember him last year when he did because he showed a little flash. I don’t recall any flashes from Nixon. Same with McCall, he showed more flashes this preseason than Nixon did. You have to make some decisions at the end of the roster. I don’t know why this one is a big deal. Nixon had 0.5 sacks, no TFLs and 1 solo tackle in 7 games and people are shocked?

I'm shocked when people think stats are the best way to measure interior defensive linemen, but hey...

Nixon is a guy I remember being decent last year, and again I'm not alone in that. Both Roaring Riot's guy Josh Klein and our buddy John Ellis (you know, the one who actually does film studies rather than just looking at stats) were surprised at Nixon being cut over others. Heck, Ellis named him as someone he thought might contend for starting reps this year.

Mind you, I've already had one guy telling me he has more credibility than Ellis on this sort of thing. Should I expect that from you as well? 🤔

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

Great summary.  Now do Hamlet.  😉

In the "To Be or Not to Be" soliloquy, Hamlet is not actually contemplating suicide, because later he says, "Oh, if the everlasting had not fixed his cannons 'gainst self slaughter."  Many people do not realize that.  Later, he says, "There is special providence in the fall of the sparrow....the readiness is all."  That suggests he is willing to die on a suicide mission--could that be a contradiction?  Discuss.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 3

31 minutes ago, thunderraiden said:

Why do people keep lumping Fitterer in with Rhule 

The rationalization that you will hear is that he is signing off on the moves and/or is just a figurehead.

The reality is that they're miserable and lashing out at any scapegoat that they can. 

1 hour ago, Icege said:

You must not have watched as closely as you had intended. You don't need to understand gap assignments when that player is getting consistently washed out. Nixon didn't producE. In 82 snaps he compiled 0.5 sack and 9 combined tackles. Hoskins (in just 28 snaps) had 1 sack, 4 combined tackles, and 1 TFL.

The stats and film show that Nixon wasn't producing. As a 5th round selection, he had to do more to earn his spot

Man come on, four tackles and a half a sack. Again Hoskins didn't jump off the screen. Now people are alluding to the fact of off field issues that the brass didn't like. That makes more sense than this lack of production argument and people can say what they want, but 5th rounders should be more than flier picks. Everyone complains about how we cannot build a consistent winner and then in the same breath will say so what it was a 5th rounder.