• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why can't we just move Chinn to ILB next to Shaq and be done with it?

Chinn operates best in space. Could he be a decent ILB? Perhaps, just like he's a decent safety. Also like Luke and Beason at OLB though, he will be out of his element and results would be similar to the past 2 seasons.

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

look up "star position" it's a hybrid DB/OLB that has the freedom to roam and look for opportunities to disrupt. they can line up anywhere based on what they see the offense doing. Jalen Ramsey played this role with the Rams and this is something that Evero became familiar with in LA and i think he utilized in Denver.

just something to think about, because that is what Evero might have in mind for Chinn.

Hell yeah, good post! Its hard to find answers to questions with real football knowledge on here sometimes. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

look up "star position" it's a hybrid DB/OLB that has the freedom to roam and look for opportunities to disrupt. they can line up anywhere based on what they see the offense doing. Jalen Ramsey played this role with the Rams and this is something that Evero became familiar with in LA and i think he utilized in Denver.

just something to think about, because that is what Evero might have in mind for Chinn.

For long time Panthers fans, this was basically the role TD played early in his career.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

For long time Panthers fans, this was basically the role TD played early in his career.

True. For the first few years there was this debate about where they should put him, safety or OLB...and the argument would be he's not a prototypical safety, too big, but he's too smsll for LB. Very much considered  tweener before that was a thing.

Chinn's ultimate flexibility gives them the ability to disguise coverages, which is paramount in the current NFL where teams try to get the ball out immediately.

Confusing the QB is crucial b/c it forces him to hold the ball longer which gives the pass rush a better chance to get home.

Most elite QB's have a good idea where there are going pre-snap.  Throwing off their 1st or 2nd read by showing them a different coverage than what they saw pre-snap is important, but it requires having guys that can play multiple positions.

The inverse of this was Sean Payton keeping the same personnel but in multiple formations (where the defense couldn't substitute) to get a miss-match for the offense.

Resigning Shaq was important b/c he has experience playing ILB in the 2019 3-4 we ran and I think he will be the primary ILB.

I expect to see this lineup quite a bit this year:

YGM/Deshawn Williams/Shy Tuttle/ Derek Brown/Burns

Shaq      Chinn (floating)

Jackson/Bell/Woods/Horn

This is a 3-4 variation of the defense Rivera ran a lot here where we had 4 down lineman, TD & Luke at LB, and 5 DB's.  That scheme required 2 LB's that could run sideline to sideline and play both the run and the pass.

I expect in this defense maybe one of the OLB would drop in run support and Chinn would act as the 5th DB or fill as an additional LB. Just like Luke & TD were the lynchpins in that defense, I think Chinn will be the lynchpin in this defense.  I also expect Burns should be happy b/c this will give him the chance to really focus on getting to the QB.

The concern I have is the same as 2019.  I feel like we will be able to get a good pass rush, but will we be able to stop the run?  I do think Chinn is going to get a lot of run at LB for this scheme to be effective.

46 minutes ago, Swaggasaurus said:

The level of Luvu disrespect is unreal. The guy should’ve been selected to the Pro Bowl last year

You are correct about that.  But for guys like Luvu (undrafted), they usually have to put up numbers for several years before they get a lot of recognition.  Also, the Panthers are small market and have sucked for the past several years, so he's overlooked.

I think Luvu will get a lot of playing time in this scheme, too, since I think he could play OLB or ILB.  I could see him used similarly to Chinn in terms of moving him around.  Luvu's ability to play multiple positions also will help in disguising coverages. 

I think if we line up in a 4-3 alignment, Shaq, Luvu, and Chinn/Brandon Smith could be the LBers.

I also think Bumper Pool has a really good chance at making the roster, b/c much like DJ Johnson with YGM, we really don't have many true 3-4 ILBers on the roster.

Forgive me if my NFL jargon isn't super versed, I ain't no pro...

But from what I gather, we're about to see a lot more Cover 1 & Cover 4 Shell concepts.  So, I think it's really silly to say Chinn doesn't have a role when he's going to be one of the integral cogs along with Luvu.  I get not seeing the YGM fit, but to say Chinn doesn't have a role and may need to be traded just doesn't make sense to me.  

image.thumb.png.1bdb240dba741e0a01a50a72e7d36e56.png

Chinn is playing up towards the line at either NB or that strong side LB spot to match TEs, opponent dependent.  Frankie can play at either that LB spot or potentially be the OLB opposite Burns (he played a similar role in college).  It's very fluid because these looks are all about disguises, which is the key component to these defenses! Which is why Luvu and Chinn honestly make a ton of sense for what's coming into town.

We have our Fangio 2-Deep safeties in house (Woods, Bell), 2 primary LBs (Shaq, Luvu), we have our "Star"/NB here (Chinn) a package dependent role, standing strong side rusher in Burns.  

So, then even when the cover 4 shell concepts come to play, he fits in just fine next to Shaq & Luvu.  

image.thumb.png.5c8bc8559edf8bafb99554f3866208dc.png

And 2-High Safety Nickel Packages: 

2 outside CBs, 1 NB, 2 standing edge defenders, 2 in the middle, 2 LBs.   Chinn is made for the nickel spot in this defense. 

image.thumb.png.ac4811228a7ca6ec5ad68e3921d95423.png

What they keep talking about is setting the edge because you having the two standing edge rushers.  If one is Burns, the other needs to be able to hold the edge.  That's the guy they're looking for (!!) and hope they found in DJJ.  When it's Haynes and Burns and an offense double/triple teams Brown, we could get run over.

The question mark I see is the base 3-4, which for Evero & before Chubb was shipped, the EDGE defenders were Browning (6'3 240) and Chubb (6'4 275).  Below could be considered base, not a lot of snaps ~20-30%/gm, opponent dependent.

I think it's valid to ask where is Chinn below--if he can play coverage LB and Luvu can go at OLB (like he's done before), then it can make sense and I see no issue with both getting 92% plus snaps this year. 

Overall, I'm pretty sure Evero has a plan.  It's also not like Chinn isn't at all capable of safety.   He could play the robber role and have the disguised box-encroaching safety looks.  So it's not like he's necessarily playing deep when he's at SS.  And with Bell (who can play both safety spots), could thrive if there's some times where we're sitting Woods.  Which I don't think is the end of the world, it's not like he's necessarily untouchable either.        

image.thumb.png.72067369820fc4e63565af4ee7b4f657.png

source: https://theathletic.com/3311028/2022/05/24/vic-fangio-defense-analysis/

• Pie 4